PD150 Turbo inlet system worth it?

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Hey everyone. I have been suffering some pretty bad economy lately (32 mpg :eek:) and was trying to figure out why! After talking with a couple smart lads on the club, I unplugged my MAF and its back up (440 mi/half tank, compared to 320 mi). So that leads me to believe that my MAF has gone bad (everything else is in working mechanical order).

Now I can either buy another BEW MAF or upgrade to the PD150 turbo inlet system. I already have a 2.5" mandrel bent TIP from IDParts.com, stock air box, stock MAF (put down the 167 whp with that).

Is the 3" system worth it, over the 2.5" mandrel system I have? Can the larger MAF provide better control for what I want (low boost, good eco when light on throttle, high boost/fuel when on it :D)

Thanks!!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Ya, I get 550 for a full tank on a good day. What do you get with a full tank?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Well, most of the big power cars here have larger MAF housings/airboxes/TIP's. However, there are a couple guys who have made nice power with the small airbox stuff. Nobody has really done a before/after dyno with mods in the 180whp range to decide beyond a doubt that it is worth it or not...

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
you know the engine is just an air pump. blaH BLAH blah... Less restrictions, more efficient. and since we talked and you have a broken piece in your setup, go for it.(as long as the price is decent). will you see any gains? Maybe a slight bit less smoke from a stock setup. and a WOT run you will benefit most at. and not to mention, your engine will SOUND more mean. and when you get it, Like Phil said, you can re-dyno your Golf and be the first to see if it is worth it or not:D:cool:

Eric B

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i ise a stock maf and bigger pd 150 style turbo inlet , but its silicone from maf to turbo just to reduce the effects of heatsoak over the aluminium pd150 version. and i did notice a difference , there was slightly less low down pick up but came in much bigger mid range and top end .

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I'm hitting the dyno the 17th of this month, will put down new numbers, then dyno later this year with a bigger pipe and retune for it!

I will answer my own question I guess! Lol

:D

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Well I bought a PD150 turbo inlet pipe (aluminum), R32 airbox, Euro R32 DSG snorkle/headlight parts. I just need a 3.25" MAF housing and I will be all set.

I might ceramic coat the TIP. Overkill?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
on stock car wont help but on mine and your setups it will help allot. i found it gave much more mid range and top end pull than it did with the stock piping .

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I talked to a guy here in Tally today: $100 to ceramic coat it. Seems like something I deal with. This is one expensive upgrade let me tell you :p

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
mines a one piece silicone pipe from turbo to maf . looks goos and wont get hot like alu pipes
Where'd you get it from?

I've wondered about how hot our TIP and metal IC pipes get.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Well I bought a PD150 turbo inlet pipe (aluminum), R32 airbox, Euro R32 DSG snorkle/headlight parts. I just need a 3.25" MAF housing and I will be all set.

I might ceramic coat the TIP. Overkill?

doesnt seem like overkill to me
aluminum soaks heat quickly
whats $100 to not worry about it again

and as for 400+ mile half tank

i can go easily 700+ on a full tank topped off
and i dont "hypermile"

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
would a maf delete (resister type mod for showing full airflow at all times cause to high of egt?

if not you could just delete the maf housing all together..
just a thought with little research done

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
would a maf delete (resister type mod for showing full airflow at all times cause to high of egt?

if not you could just delete the maf housing all together..
just a thought with little research done
No need for resistors, MAF Delete (MAP-based smoke maps) is done through tuning now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Use the BEW MAF module, yes. It'll go right in the R32 housing. Just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I was getting a hesitation on mild acceleration. New MAF took care of it. Old one was in there for 80K so I have no complaints.