TDI Buybacks are deals

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I shopped around for a couple months before I found this ‘14 with only 14k on the odometer for $9k but it got smacked in the rear and has a salvaged title, the fix was done in March.... but even before buying this I saw a couple other local 2014’s at $10k and $10.5k but with odometers in the 40k range, being the CheapBastard I am I had to jump on this when I saw it.
The reason for purchasing it was money saving, better mpg and getting rid of the Passat with a $240 payment, figuring on dropping around $325/month in bills with the fuel savings. I also figured that if I ever want a TDi that this is the best time and maybe last chances to pick one up.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Nice find. It looks like new and I'm betting it feels like new, too.

Makes me wish I could buy several now and hoard them for future use.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome to tdiclub! Nice looking car and good deal to boot! Salvage title means nothing if it was repaired properly and you want to own it for the long haul. Lots of info already here for you to read and get up to speed. Proper maintenance is key with these.

One favor though. Try resizing your pics to about 800x600 so they don't blow the margins of the page out and make it hard to read by having to scroll back and forth. Not everyone has a huge screen. The best way to do this is to post a 800x600 thumbnail that is clickable to the original size pic if needed.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Is the salvage title covered under the extended emission warranty?

Or lemon title for that matter?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did you buy it from a VW dealer or some other dealer? When did the accident happen that caused the salvage title? Who did the repairs?

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Is the salvage title covered under the extended emission warranty?

Or lemon title for that matter?

So how many vehicles have you been able to sell back under “Lemon Aid”?

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
So how many vehicles have you been able to sell back under “Lemon Aid”?
Two. The cayenne and the A8L. Unfortunately or fortunately. The only TDI I have now is a Q5 that still runs great, 20k miles after the emission repair. No problem there. It's got 113k miles on the odometer and I hope I can run it to at least 200k miles.

I am toying with the idea of tracking my buybacks down and buy back one of them. The reason is that the dealerships really did a lot of things on them and they should be problem proof for a while. On the A8L, the Audi dealership replaced the HPFP/LPHP/DPF/fuel meter sensor/the whole fuel lines/Fuel tank/windshield, repaired the leaks, did the alignment job. The real culprit for the problem could very well only be the fuel tank but the car got a whole set of new stuff. Some further work on the suspension, new tires and brake pads, the car will have a new life.;)

Audi/Porsche will most likely market them as a lemon. I already saw a couple of cars for sale as so. I had no idea if the cars will still be covered under the extended emission warranty.

CJM_RVA

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Even with the salvage title, $9k for a '14 with that little mileage does sound like a deal. The value for money is what got me interested at first too--I ended up with a '13 with 64k miles for 9650 before tax/fee, and I still think I did pretty well for a CPO one owner with exactly the options and color I wanted.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If it was fixed properly that is an excellent deal, and you don't mind the salvage title. For long term use it wouldn't matter. If you wanted to turn around and sell it, it would hurt. Also some insurance companies won't insure full coverage on a salvage titled vehicle. Normal loans too. Check that out with your insurance/finance company first. These kinds of things are usually cash deals and liability only.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
If it was fixed properly that is an excellent deal, and you don't mind the salvage title. For long term use it wouldn't matter. If you wanted to turn around and sell it, it would hurt. Also some insurance companies won't insure full coverage on a salvage titled vehicle. Normal loans too. Check that out with your insurance/finance company first. These kinds of things are usually cash deals and liability only.

Being the CheapBastard that I am , I go liability only, I’ve heard banks won’t lend for salvage titles and I paid cash, no loan