Golf/JSW 6mt?

Frank'sTdi

TDI
Golf
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I didn't find it in a search. I'm getting ready to order a 2011 Golf Tdi with a stick and the local dealer doesn't have one to test drive is the clutch/shift throw on a JSW the same as a Golf? They have a couple of JSW's I could test drive, just wanted to check and see if it is comparable. This will be my first VW and first diesel looking forward to playing with it. Thanks in advance.
Frank

TurboChrisJ

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (BB)
Same thing happened when I went to test drive. I ended up test driving the JSW and I sat in a Golf (couldn't drive it because someone already purchased it!). They drive very similarly, and the tranny is the same. Only difference to me was the suspension feel and obviously the extra weight and length of the JSW.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Exactly the same. Same engine, same tranny, same clutch. As a matter of fact what they call a "Jetta Sportwagen" in the USA is a Golf in the rest of the world. In Canada it is a Golf Sportwagen, in England it is a "Golf Estate" and in the much of Europe it is a "Golf Variant". Therefore, basically a JSW *IS* a Golf, they just don't call it that here in the US because the "Jetta" name is somehow more respected (don't ask me why).

Have Fun!

Don

fujii13

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW
See if there are any members here nearby that will let you take one for a test drive. If you were closer to me and I had a Golf I'd let ya!

Last edited:

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
I drove both back to back (I wanted a JSW, but was seriously considering a Golf because it was two grand less).

As far as the gearbox and clutch there was no difference. Golf rode slightly stiffer but felt more lively in handling. JSW was more relaxed. Differences were subtle, but again, gearbox, motor and clutch felt identical.

P.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Actually I never test drove the Golf TDI ... all my TDI test drives were with MK5 Jetta one DSG and one M6, because the dealer (both of them) didn't have Golf TDI at that time and all MK5 Jetta Wagon TDI were sold out.

ashutoshsm

TDI
JSW 6speed Manual
I drove both back to back (I wanted a JSW, but was seriously considering a Golf because it was two grand less).

As far as the gearbox and clutch there was no difference. Golf rode slightly stiffer but felt more lively in handling. JSW was more relaxed. Differences were subtle, but again, gearbox, motor and clutch felt identical.

P.
PRECISELY this experience. Identical shifting, power band/shift points, same ridiculous propensity to stall out at inopportune moments and make you look like an amateur! But same featherweight clutch engagement (compared to my aging Mazda, at least)

The Golf TDI is substantially more tossable/nimble than the JSW - a lot closer to my outgoing vehicle (a Mazda 6). I sacrificed all that for the trunk space. Sigh. I think.

;)

Arne in Oregon

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf MT6
The Golf TDI is substantially more tossable/nimble than the JSW - a lot closer to my outgoing vehicle (a Mazda 6). I sacrificed all that for the trunk space. Sigh. I think.
;)
I couldn't bring myself to go there. My wife and I were coming from prior Scirocco/GTI/GLI ownership. We really wanted the extra space, but in the end the fun factor of the Golf won out. We both felt the JSW was just meh.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I just picked mine up today and were driving it home. Man this thing is FUN! Driving it from Philly PA to Scranton PA today. That is up and through the pocono mountains. This thing hauled the mail without having to downshift. Talk about torque.

I will admit that driving out of town I missed a shift and stalled it. Embarrassing to be sure. That was my problem and not the cars.

Try one, you'll love it.