rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm hating winter right now. I love the look of a clean vehicle, especially my TDI. Right now, I can't tell if it's platinum gray or brown muck!

vdubbintdi

TDI
Midnight Blue Metallic 2013 PASSAT SE DSG
Installed the EuroJet SMIC with two bolts using a 10-mm socket to 10 Nm (7 ft-lb). I had to bend the lower bracket on the car slightly in order to line it up with the lower connection on the EuroJet SMIC.

Installed the 3-Bar MAP with the 10-mm bolts that were supplied with the EuroJet SMIC plus a lock washer on each with a 5‑mm Allen socket until tight.

Reinstalled upper intercooler pipe and tightened the T-Bolt clamp with a 7/16-inch socket until tight.

As a side note, I plan to re‑plumb the upper intercooler connections from the SMIC to the race pipe once TDI Parts sends me a new straight restrictor hose. This should raise and send the upper intercooler pipe toward the race pipe where it belongs. Right now, the upper intercooler pipe rests on the serpentine belt tensioner, which is not ideal. A fellow TDI enthusiast gave me a vinyl cap off a shelving unit to place over the tensioner to protect it from the upper intercooler pipe. I’m also hoping this change might help the headlight to fit better. Right now, it rests against the hose, which makes it bounce slightly at idle.
Reinstalled the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

Trimmed about ½-inch off the outer (bumper side) of the intercooler shroud and installed by hand.

Reinstalled headlight and, side markers, bumper, and grille. I had to remove the intercooler shroud because the bumper would not install flush. I may try to trim more off the side of the shroud the next time the bumper is removed to re-plumb the upper intercooler pipe.
Reinstalled driver’s side engine shield, fender housing, and wheel.
Cut approximately 1⅜-inch off of the lower intercooler pipe so that it would join with the EuroJet SMIC.

The scuff mark on the lower intercooler pipe is from my right tire when making a hard left turn.

Cut a 4⅜-inch section of a 2½-inch radiator hose to fit between the lower intercooler pipe and EuroJet SMIC.
Installed the lower intercooler pipe between the 17/22 hybrid turbo hose and SMIC with T-bolt clamps and 7/16-inch socket.

Installed a new, vented passenger side fender housing and splash shield.

Reinstalled the passenger side wheel.
Turned on the car and checked for hose leaks; there were none.
Reinstalled Panzer skid plate and bumper skirting.
Lowered the car and tightened the lug bolts to 120 Nm (89 ft-lb).
rocketeer928 where did you get the vented passenger side fender housing? Do you possibly have a part number I can try to find one?

Thanks,
Jason

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
My diesel engine family just grew. Today, I ordered an Apollo AED6500XER Diesel Generator for our home from SwampCycles.com.

2011 Tropical Storm Isabelle: 4½ days without electricity
2011 Freak October Snow Storm: 7 days without electricity
2012 Hurricane Sandy: 4½ days without electricity

Watch! Now that I'm finally getting a generator, we won't lose electricity for the rest of our lives. I know this is not car related, but it is a diesel. :)

Yes, it comes with a glow plug and electric start for cold New England winter starts.

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
The vented inner fender look awesome! I checked out IDparts and it seems they only have a passenger side that is vented; is this true? I was looking to do both sides since mine are cracked and the previous owner didn't secure them so the tires melted a nice "V" into them :(

Mark

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
The vented inner fender look awesome! I checked out IDparts and it seems they only have a passenger side that is vented; is this true? I was looking to do both sides since mine are cracked and the previous owner didn't secure them so the tires melted a nice "V" into them :(

Mark
Unless you are running duel side mounts, I wouldn't worry about the drivers side vented.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
W8 Dome Light Kit

I needed a new Sunroof Ceiling Control Cover because the fabric on the original started to peel. I tried to use some adhesive to put it back in place, but it looked awful. So, when I ordered the new cover, I decided it was finally time to also install a W8 Dome Light Kit. The Passat wagon we had while living in Deutschland in 2007 had these nice red lights, and since I liked that feature, I figured why not for my Jetta TDI. It's installed, but I need to get new LED wedge lights for it.

Edit: Blue and white LEDs installed. Looks good, though my wife still barely tolerates the blue. ;)

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Glow Plug Harness

For the last few months I've had intermittent CEL occurrences due to a problem with the glow plug system. I didn't think the glow plugs themselves were the problem because I changed them out in 2008. So, yesterday I changed out the glow plug harness.

I was hoping the change out would be easy and without having to take things apart. Oh, but what was I thinking??? It's a VW after all. I had to remove a boatload of stuff to both access and just plain see what I needed to see, such as the ground wire attached to tranny, the battery and its case, airbox, and the main wiring cover. Then on top of that, I had to unwrap a lot of very, very sticky fabric tape.

After all that, installation and electrical taping was was easy. I cleared the fault code, and so far things seem good. Connecticut emissions testing (I mean another tax) sometime this week.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been remarkably fortunate with glow plug harnesses. I had one replaced under warranty (probably unnecessarily) at 48K and that one's been fine. I do seem to go through a fair number of glow plugs, however, I think I'm on my fourth set.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, the CEL has not come back on. If it does, then I'll also install a new set of glow plugs.

I won't be at TDI Fest this year, IBW. I've got another non-TDI trip planned for this fall.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Failed Emissions

OK, I'm gonna try and be nicer than I want to be.

My TDI failed emissions today, and I believe it was the fool kid performing the test that caused it to fail. I also now believe that I didn't need to change my glow plug harness last weekend.

I almost always turn the key to the ON position and let the glow plug indicator turn off prior to starting the car. I have found that when my wife or I just start the car immediately, that's when the CEL comes on and obtain a glow plug circuitry code. I neglected to inform the kid who performed the emissions test about this, so naturally he treated my TDI like any gasoline car and fired it up for the OBD test. I was standing there, and sure enough the CEL came on. Grr!!! His machine told him that I have a problem with glow plug Nr. 4, and before I changed the harness I had a problem with glow plug Nr. 2, according to VCDS.

To be safe, I went ahead and ordered a new set of glow plugs from IBW. I need to install them and get retested within 60 days. I'll be sure to "train" the kid before he tests my TDI again.

I told the emissions kid what he did wrong and that I believed he caused my failure. His response was a shrug of the shoulders and stating that they don't do many diesels. Nothing like caring for the customer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm not about to defend the emissions tester, but starting without pre-glowing should not throw a code. You probably do have plugs that aren't quite within spec.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, good point IBW. For the record, I wasn't mad at the kid, nor did I give him any grief. I knew there was a chance that the CEL would go off, though it was odd that it happened at the very moment of the emissions test. New glow plugs are being delivered as I write.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
WaveTrac LSD

Today, I removed my tranny for a third time (never fun). I bought a WaveTrac LSD in December 2010, and next week a local performance shop is going to install it for me. Though I have the installation instructions from Whitbread and all the components, I'm not comfortable enough in my mechanical skills to mess with the tranny internals.

Oddly, the metal retaining clip for the clutch fork was missing. I know when I installed the Stage III+ clutch a few years back that I included that clip. It must have fallen out and been pulverized.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
WaveTrac Installed

The WaveTrac LSD is now finally installed.

Getting the tranny back into the car is such a challenge. After a third attempt it finally went into place Friday night with the help of my jack and a couple of ratchet straps. I also changed out both the tranny and engine mounts, since I had new ones anyway.

Saturday I put everything back together and went for a short test drive. No weird sounds and everything seems to be working properly. I figured I'll let the LSD settle in a bit before I try any really hard pulls, just to be on the safe side.

This is the last major modification, and I'm glad I'm finally done tuning up my TDI. My car is just as I like it.

BTW, filling up the tranny case with fluid is so much easier with a metal, flexible funnel through the engine bay than pumping it in with a hand pump. The dumb things one learns after doing something a few times...

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Over a long Easter weekend, we took a road trip to NC and back for a family wedding and a visit with my sister in VA. My first time in NC (Piedmont area). My Jetta ran great and got 55 mpg doing 70 - 75 mph most of the time. Love my Günther Tune.

Rained all day the Saturday we were there and got stuck in a huge mud hole in a field where we had to park. I was not at all happy about that, but thankfully family and I pushed her out with the wifey behind the wheel. Lots of mud tucked in and under the front lip. So glad I have a skid plate.

maken03

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (sold)04 Jetta wagon
Wow I love the thread! It is so detailed, I read all 58 pages! I should have taken notes as to where the mods I want on my car are found.
We'll done, take your wife to dinner, she deserves it. If you ever get to Seattle you'll have to come by! Thanks again

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm glad you like my car and took the time to read the whole thread. I'd be surprised if I ever make it to the Seattle area by driving, but you never know.

nadroba

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
Hi rocketeer928, how is the jetta doing? Is IT still your daily??
Would be nice to know if everything is running smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Everything is running smoothly to date. Being summertime, when the weather cooperates my daily drive to/from work is my Honda Shadow motorcycle.

I took the Jetta from CT to NC over Easter for a family wedding. She got stuck in a rainy mud pit within a field; had to be pushed out. That's the only excitement lately.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm now at 125,000 miles and most things with my TDI are doing fairly well. Still averaging 50 mpg. Not so good things include some vibrations and squeaking while driving within the interior and the LEDs for the EGT on my McNally gauge are going out one-by-one.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Wasting a little time tonight going over my thread. It still amazes me as to how much time and money I spent on my TDI to get it tuned to my liking. I'm also struck by how many mods and tunes I tried that ended up not staying on my Jetta, such as the Unitronic Stage 2 and RocketChip RC4 and RC5 tunes, CAT fuel filter, a couple of sets of headlights (current headlights stink too), Eurojet SMIC, Valeo clutch, Intercooler Fan and Universal Voltage Switch to Control Intercooler Air Temperatures, OMI turbo intake, shark fin antenna, 17-inch wheels, etc. I took my tranny out three times without a lift! Hopefully, I won't have to do that again.

My TDI is still running strong with just over 127,000 miles on it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Trial and error. Finally we get it the way we want. After RC3, 4, 5, 6, and 4+, I've settled on 3+ with a VNT-15, once again. Couldn't be happier. But I think I ran almost 127K on RC6. :)

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
By the end of May, my Jetta TDI will be moving from Western Connecticut to Lake County Illinois, which is north of Chicago. My wife and I are going with my TDI due to a new job.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
By the end of May, my Jetta TDI will be moving from Western Connecticut to Lake County Illinois, which is north of Chicago. My wife and I are going with my TDI due to a new job.
Well if you are settled in by June 20th and wanna make the trip up and meet a few members from the Wisconsin/Illinois you're more than welcome to attend my gtg/cruise. Plus it would be cool to check out your Jetta in person.;)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=436866

There is also a pretty decent car show north of Milwaukee that is a good time.
It's Scootergtg https://www.facebook.com/events/766467416805789/

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I'm about to have some money freed up to get some major work done on my mk4 and i love looking back through your thread at all the work you've done. It's such a great read! Good luck in Lake County!