Torque converter quits locking up

buckhunter94

TDI
02 Golf
I have an 02 golf and at random times the TC will not lock back up after it kicks out. A little more common once its warm but seems to do it if you run it a little hard..I changed the valve body and harness because it was doing the same thing and started to not want to shift till about 5000rpm. That part seems to be fine now; but It will start showing the P0740 is pending if I clear it it will lock back up till its ran a little hard or going up hill and it kicks out. Any ideas? I've heard it could be the TC going bad

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Of course there are other things that can cause it, as it states in the link.

Of what type, brand or supplier VB did you use? I have to ask for 2 reasons.

1. TCC problems are so prevalent in VB that a used one is a risky option at best.
2. Unrealistically cheap VB available on ebay. As the link, says, when other VB's are sent in and are taken apart, hardly ever are the 4 valves which are available replaced. The unrealistically cheap ones on ebay are being sold for less then the cost of the valves needed, therefore one must conclude that they are putting zero parts in it, and that they are just used VB that have been cleaned.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
You can assume one of two things.

1. Your problem lies elsewhere with the trans.
or
2. You bought a VB that didn't correct your problem.

FYI, if you sent in your VB to me the cost is $410, solenoids are tested and replaced as needed (you are charged based on how many solenoids it needs), and you can be assured that all 4 valves are replaced.

I'm not trying to sell you a VB just saying that you could have had it for less money and been assured that your getting a quality product. Of course if your problem lies in #1 above it still wouldn't have fixed it.

buckhunter94

TDI
02 Golf
Also I don't have a VAG-COM what is a good scanner to be able to see all codes and be able to check trans fluid level

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Also I don't have a VAG-COM what is a good scanner to be able to see all codes and be able to check trans fluid level
Why not continue and get or borrow a genuine VCDS? You can buy one for the 02 ALH for under $150 used (on here). No need to get one that scans CAN bus vehicles (later years).

Also, VCDS will not "check trans fluid level", however, it will readout the temperature of the fluid for manual checking of the level.

buckhunter94

TDI
02 Golf
If that's the case the OBDll scanner that I have read the fluid.. just don't seam to be an accurate way to check and I seen a post on here the said they put there VAG-COM on and found out they was about a 1/4 liter low on fluid so they checked it just by getting the fluid up to what the temp needs to be. How would you know that its just a 1/4 liter low? Cause I just know by pulling the drain plug and letting it drain till the first "gurgle" This thing is just driving me crazy

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If that's the case the OBDll scanner that I have read the fluid.. just don't seam to be an accurate way to check and I seen a post on here the said they put there VAG-COM on and found out they was about a 1/4 liter low on fluid so they checked it just by getting the fluid up to what the temp needs to be. How would you know that its just a 1/4 liter low? Cause I just know by pulling the drain plug and letting it drain till the first "gurgle" This thing is just driving me crazy
I'm just trying to be helpful, sorry. I've only been here 11 years and owned a few TDI's and do my own work, but what do I know?

buckhunter94

TDI
02 Golf
I was just asking a question. Cause I seen a post that said they checked it with VAG-COM that's why I was confused. Is that the only way to check the fluid level is by getting it to temp and pulling the drain plug?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I was just asking a question. Cause I seen a post that said they checked it with VAG-COM that's why I was confused. Is that the only way to check the fluid level is by getting it to temp and pulling the drain plug?
Yes, that's the only way to check the level of the fluid. It has to be in a specified temperature range and expand enough to flow over the internal standpipe. VCDS will pull codes and in some TDI's, allow you to run a solenoid test. I'm not sure about the 01M though, but the ZF in Passats, you can do that.

buckhunter94

TDI
02 Golf
Okay I just looked a little more and what I see is 96-113 is the temp to check and it should just drip out of the hole? I know if that's right it's over filled. Would over filling cause the TC to do that?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Okay I just looked a little more and what I see is 96-113 is the temp to check and it should just drip out of the hole? I know if that's right it's over filled. Would over filling cause the TC to do that?
I am not the right guy to ask regarding 01M diagnosis.

Our transmission guy here is CoolAirVW (Richard) who posted earlier in this thread. I suggest you work directly with him, like all of us do on these 01M's, and see what he says. Send him a PM.

Good luck!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
"drips out" doesn't mean its full. There are pressure exhausts in the VB that push fluid into the pan. This makes waves in the fluid which will splash out and could give false "drips".

Only accurate way is to overfill, then drain down till it "glugs". (at check temp of course)

doubtingt

TDI
2001 Jetta
it's been a while since i have been on this forum, it's funny to see the same stuff discussed. why don't you buy a VCDS? because he owns a TDI, HE'S CHEAP!

yes, buy your VB from Richard and you'll be fine. i bought VB from Richard @ 176K in 2014? and it's still going @ 210K. i should have tweaked the boost regulator valve a few clicks but i'll get that next fluid change. don't expect miracles from 01M, the non-maintenance from previous owner(s) and wrong guidance from VW (never needs maintenance!) make your life harder. i'm lucky the thing is still breathing in my 2001 TDI.