Oil Leaking from Intercooler Hose

CandywhiteMK6

TDI
'11 Golf TDI
I changed my oil recently and upon removing my "under" cover I noticed oil around my lower driver's side intercooler hose. Now I know its obviously not supposed to leak, but is oil in my intake normal for TDI's? Also if you've had this issue(with the leaky hose), did you simply replace it? Thanks.

need4speed

Veteran Member
It's pretty normal; but not necessarily "healthy".

Air in that hose has passed through the air filter, maf, then the turbo's compressor vanes. The only possible source of that oil is the turbo compressor vanes. This is usually the seal in the turbo shaft.

Most of these turbos leak a little, and oil tends to collect in the intercooler. It's a good idea to drain it out, at least at every oil change (while you're under there).

A lot of TDI's do this when they're getting aged, and you can continue driving it for many tens of thousands of miles like this.

If it's accumulating, that oil will get sucked into the motor, and consumed. And that will lead to catalytic converter failure, as well as oil starvation if your motor runs out of oil.

One of the worst problems is if the leak becomes very bad, the motor will consume mass-quantities of oil, which causes the motor to surge, regardless of your throttle position - and in some cases, will cause an "overrun" (where the motor goes faster and faster, and can exceed max revs, and may not even respond if you shut it off - it will just keep running until your motor runs out of oil). 2002 and later have an auto-shutoff valve that cuts all air off when you turn the ignition off. You can also get it under control and stall it if you think-fast: put the car in 5th, and slam on the brakes.

When this happens, your turbo is gone, or nearly-gone, and you can swap it out for a new turbo.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I would suspect a bad connection or worn seal if oil is evident on the outside of the hose. Had this on my Golf and replaced the short hose between the IC and the pancake pipe due to worn barbs/nubs. Don't know how the 2011 hoses are connected.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Order these Intercooler O-Ring Seal (CBEA CJAA)
[cjaa_intercooler_seal] $9.50 IDPARTS .

Pull the hose and oil will drain out clean every thing up nice and install a new seal .
I use a little grease so the seal slides in. Make shore the hose snaps in and locks give it tug.

Bob Mann