injection pump out of time

drouglas

TDI
2012 Jetta
1999 Jetta ahu 1.9L pump pulley has been removed from pump and I have no idea where it has to be installed back onto pump for #1 TDC. The adjuster for the timing belt failed, the pistons hit all 8 valves and pushed them almost through the lifters. After replacing all the needed parts, I tried to line up the key way slots hoping that would be close enough to start it. Of course it never started and now I'm stuck and can't find any info on how to get it back to where it was. I hope someone can advise me and get this gem back on the road.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Set the crank at #1 TDC using the mark on the flywheel.
Install the cam and set the cam to #1 TDC using the cam aligning tool in the slot.
Rotate the injector pump and sprocket (top forward) until the small hole in the sprocket aligns with the matching hole in the casting at about the 3 o'clock position (as viewed from the right fender looking in at the engine).

Then proceed to mount the belt and continue with the final alignment and tightening.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You say you don't know where to install the pulley "back onto pump".

I take that to mean the pulley is in your hand and the pump is on the engine. Not that you are asking how to time the pump as Lug Nut described.

The pump pulley on an AHU is keyed.
You sure it's an AHU?

The ALH pulley hub is like the cam and mounts on a taper on pump with no key. The pump pulley for the ALH has slots for the mounting bolts. The initial timing setup is different for the ALH.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
KLXD said:
The ALH pulley is like the cam and mounts on a taper on pump with no key. The pump pulley for the ALH has slots for the mounting bolts.
Yup.... so the real question is:

Did you remove just the sprocket (three bolts around the outside that hold the sprocket to the hub) or the hub (big central 19mm nut with the dab of yellow paint.;)) ??

If just the sprocket then the standard "pin in the timing slot" method will get you back in time.

If you've pulled the entire hub off then you're off to a diesel shop to have the pump recalibrated... as far as I know specific gear is required to set the hub relative to the tapered and keyless shaft.

drouglas

TDI
2012 Jetta
Thanks for the responses guys. I found the marks Lug_Nut pointed out and got it running. Timed it with an obII under the `spark advance` heading. Not sure how accurate it is though. It is sitting at 3 degrees and has trouble starting and when it does. it has lots of grey smoke idling and driving at all rpm. The closest Vag-Com is 100 miles away. Is there an alternative way to set the timing without a Vag-Com.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
No. You need Vagcom.

You might play with the pump a bit to try to get the smoke down, but that is a strong indicator of the timing being off. Just the tiniest bit of movement on the pump sprocket changes the timing drastically. I'm not sure, but I suspect that your timing is too advanced as it is now, so you'll need to retard it a bit. IIRC you'll loosen the 3 bolts on the pump sprocket and ever-so-slightly turn the pump counter clockwise. (check on the counter / clockwise bit before you actually do it)

Good luck, you definitely need the Vagcom.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I've found hard starting and smoke are indicative of retarded timing. But maybe I've never had one too advanced on initial startup.

Your instructions are for the ALH. From his initial post and his response that Lug's procedure got him going indicate he's got the AHU. Should say turn the shaft though, not the pump.

For the AHU, loosen the 4 mounting bolts and turn the pump body CCW to advance, CW to retard as viewed from the right side.

Douglas, you installed the key on the pump shaft?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If you do indeed have an AHU then yes it should. Is it an early '99 or late?

What was holding the pulley on? Just a center bolt or was it mounted on a hub with three bolts. Or did you remove the steel hub leaving a tapered shaft?

drouglas

TDI
2012 Jetta
I removed the pulley from a tapered shaft by removing the center bolt. After getting info from Lug-Nut, I got the car started but like you said, I need the Vag-Com cause I tried many times to get the timing right but could not get it to start normaly and would smoke lots.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The AHU DOES have a tapered shaft but it ALSO has a key. I should have made that clear.

You just removed the pulley, there was no steel three bolt hub under the pulley?

Sorry for the confusion but if you have a AHU with no key installed you just got lucky on your timing.

drouglas

TDI
2012 Jetta
I located a Vagcom in my area. The guy said he would be gone a couple days. That was six days ago. Since then I've been playing with the timing and found the harder it was to start the farther from being timed it was. The pump is turned all the way towards the firewall. It starts and runs fine. Does that mean the pump may be out a cog or two if the vagcom shows more is needed in that direction?