One Million Mile Mark !!!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
When I first bought my 4-dr, I was driving at a rate that would have put me over a million miles in less than 40 years.

These days, it would take me more than 200. It is safe to say I won't make it.

So why did you dredge up this ancient thread, anyway???

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is a Volvo promotion now and not a guy with real miles on a real original engine and trans....
The engine was rebuilt once at 600,000, I know it had no further work up to 1.5 million, after that I don't know, car is at 3 million now.

n0egjesb

TDI
Passat
I just hit 688K on my 1996 Passat. Still mostly original with no work on engine or transmission but recently had to change the mass oxygen sensor. . Rough shape aesthetically but running good. My guess in a couple of years there will be several surpassing the million mile mark. I'd like to go much further as it would be hard to find another vehicle that gets me 54 mpg

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
We need to find a TDi to brake this record !

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16070928/

Several years ago I USED to go to a shop in Guelph who's name I won't mention, that had a customer there that I've met several times.
He had a 2000 Beetle TDI with over a million k on it, 14 timing belts, 7 sets of axles and god knows how many oil changes all on original block and pistons .
Looked rough as it should to say the least.

Sent from my Current time and location

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
IIRC, there was a pic posted in a related thread a few years ago of a '99 NB TDI in Texas with over 900k miles on it. :cool:

At only 361k miles on my 2002 Golf TDI when I sold it in 2010, it was still way too early to tell how much longer it would last. :cool:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Generally serviced per schedule and additional preventative maintenence (not covered by the schedule) with diligence.
Scheduled maintenance doesn't cover things like steering racks, control arm bushings, door hinges, and that sort of stuff that accumulates until the owner says "Enough!".

Many of these accumulate miles quickly, lots of miles per year, which does two things:
a. Fewer cold starts, more highway cruising (less clutch, less brake, shallower turns) fewer entry and exits from the seat.
b. More likely to be business miles, meaning the car is an asset that has to be conserved, than a disposable tool to be neglected and tossed out / traded in when the windows quit opening.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
bump so we can get some updated mileage numbers

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
2000 NB TDI - 368,000 miles. Swapped O1M for 5 speed manual at 252,000. New fuel pump at 297,000 miles . Just recently completed trip from Raliegh NC to Kansas City on a move - 46MPG ! Gets regular 10K mile oil changes, new timing belt job every 80-90K miles. I'm planning on at least 500,000 miles before I get rid of it. Looks a little rough, but with bigger fuel injector nozzles and RC2 - making 140 HP and 215+ lb-ft torque on an SMF. Runs like a top.

I'd take it all the way on a 49 state driving tour of the US without thinking about it, in any season.

apple4ever

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 5sp manual, 280K miles
I'm at 269,000 miles on my 2002 Jetta TDI. Besides a clutch replacement at 170,000, an EGR value replacement, and little things like new vacuum lines, glow plugs, and alternator, engine is still mostly original.

I'd love to hit 400,000 with it, though the interior is start to fall apart: The headliner is falling down, the left rear window is having issues going up, two of the door open sensors are bad, the outlet below the temperature control is out, and a bunch of other ugly looking interior pieces.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I have driven GTIs to 250k and a B4 to 325K. I got tired of sitting in them. I cannot imagine sitting in the same car for a million miles. Kinda like a prison cell with wheels.

BAsberry

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Great story- I know that some of the older Mercedes 240D models hit the 1 million mile mark without too much trouble. It would be great to have a few club members who could make this claim. Is anyone even close to 500K miles on their TDI yet???
I hit 500,000 on 8/17. It's a 2004 jetta wagon. Bought it with 212,000 miles. No mods. I've done 4 high mileage timing belt kits since I bought it. New turbo. New cam early on. Recent new 5th gear. Faithfully use Stanadyne on every fill up. Have averaged 41-42 mpg. Just switched to 5,000 mile oil changes instead of 10,000 using only Pentosin HP2. I put 3-4000 miles a month on it so my goal would be to hit 1,000,000 in about 12 years. We'll see.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I would not want to sit in anything for a million miles. Good lord, it would feel like a prison sentence.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I would not want to sit in anything for a million miles. Good lord, it would feel like a prison sentence.
It was fine. I had Recaro seats so my butt didn't mind at all. Also, I've had other TDIs and still do. The million-mile Golf has been retired.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not a million, but I've driving MKIV TDIs well over a half million miles. Still like them.