www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 26th, 2008, 15:14   #811
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/46/42 on B20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanix
Change it at 5k; I don't think you'll see a huge increase in the next 1100 miles.
This was my gut reaction to seeing your report as well. I don't have anything scientific to back that up...just my humble opinion.

But if you do change out "early" at 5k, I'd change out again at 10k to get out any remaining copper, etc and then follow the regular OCI.

There's evidence both ways..(to leave it until 10k to complete break-in). I'd tend to side with the labs opinion.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 15:25   #812
barshnik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumeister
This was my gut reaction to seeing your report as well. I don't have anything scientific to back that up...just my humble opinion.
But if you do change out "early" at 5k, I'd change out again at 10k to get out any remaining copper, etc and then follow the regular OCI.
There's evidence both ways..(to leave it until 10k to complete break-in). I'd tend to side with the labs opinion.
I'm leaving on a 800 mile round trip for Thanksgiving with family tomorrow, so I think my plan will be to change at 5k on my own, let the dealer to it at 10K, 20k, and 30k with UOA done about halfway into each of the dealer-paid changes just to keep an eye on things. Thanks for your opinions - I was half expecting to be flamed for considering going against the recommended first oil change at 10k.

John F
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 15:27   #813
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Everyone is assuming these wear metals themselves cause wear, which may or may not be the case. Doesn't excessive soot cause wear?

Lab advice tends to be very generic. We've seen some really "doosees" before.
Old November 26th, 2008, 15:39   #814
barshnik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
Everyone is assuming these wear metals themselves cause wear, which may or may not be the case. Doesn't excessive soot cause wear?

Lab advice tends to be very generic. We've seen some really "doosees" before.
Insolubles will be soot, and some metals small enough to pass the filter. But, Insolubles are primarily what causes wear, so I'll go ahead with the 5k change (even though they are within acceptable levels.

I guess you can officially count me in as a proponent of doing 1 early oil change, then monitoring and probably doing the 10k intervals after this.

John F
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:05   #815
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barshnik
This is at 3905 miles (now approaching 5k). The big question is: Should I do my own change early myself (I do have a filter and a case of Mobile 1 ESP 507.00 in the garage.) Or, just run it out to 10k like the manual says? I'd kind of like to change early to see if the high numbers really do 'plummet'.
Hello John. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't wait until 10k miles. The viscosity looks good, the additive levels are good, soot is low.

Consider this a baseline UO analysis -- it doesn't really tell you anything about the health of your engine, but it give you something to compare with if you test again at 20k or 30k miles.
'03 Golf with 730k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 16:01   #816
XJCoupe
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Hey gurus of oil --

I posted a 5k update a while back and didn't get any feedback. I'm now nearing 10k and will take a sample as soon as I can get a OA kit here (any AMSOIL dealers offering discounts to TDIClub members? PM me...).

Would you let me know how that 5k sample looks, given that I had a couple shaky results earlier?

Thanks... it's great to have the input of generous and knowledgeable folks to keep our TDIs on the road!

XJCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 16:12   #817
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCoupe
Hey gurus of oil --

I posted a 5k update a while back and didn't get any feedback. I'm now nearing 10k and will take a sample as soon as I can get a OA kit here (any AMSOIL dealers offering discounts to TDIClub members? PM me...).

Would you let me know how that 5k sample looks, given that I had a couple shaky results earlier?

Thanks... it's great to have the input of generous and knowledgeable folks to keep our TDIs on the road!
From my entry-level knowledge of what to look for, TBN is still good, soot is very good, Fe is a tad high for 5K miles, other wear metals are great. Silicon is higher than normal (air filter not sealed good or peeking at air filter?).

I'd say sample and drain at 10K, then do another sample at 5K on the new oil, see if things remain the same.
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:13   #818
eb2143
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None
Default Super Quick Oil Analysis Q.

I'm going to get an UOA on the next oil change for the Jetta and a Volvo S70. This question doesn't so much apply to the Jetta because it only goes through about .75 quarts per 10,000 miles.

The Volvo uses almost 1 quart every 2,500 miles and I am running 5,000 mile changes on PP 5w-30. The volvo dipstick allows for 1.5 litres between "add" and "full." I usually add the minimum amount to make it the 5,000 miles, so that when it the oil is changed, it's around "add."

When you take oil for analysis, are you guys always doing it with a full sump? I know they ask for makeup oil so I'm guessing you are. Only thing 1.5 quarts of PP is $10 I'd rather not spend. But the concentration of wear metals will be a lot different depending on how much oil is in there...
SOLD MY BABY: 2001 Jetta TDI 5mt, Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals[/URL]

Last edited by eb2143; December 7th, 2008 at 10:20.
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:18   #819
hid3
Banned

Out of curiousity, how much in US it costs to do a used oil analysis? And are there many (or few) places where it can be done?
hid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:28   #820
eb2143
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by hid3
Out of curiousity, how much in US it costs to do a used oil analysis? And are there many (or few) places where it can be done?
From what I've looked at, $20-$35, depending on if you ask for extras like TBN.

Polaris Labs
Blackstone Labs
Amsoil "Oil Analyzers"
Your local Caterpillar dealer
...others I can't think of

Polaris is free for your first sample. Blackstone gives the most "personal attention" with the comments that come with each report.
SOLD MY BABY: 2001 Jetta TDI 5mt, Bosio Sprint 520s, Koni FSDs, VW HD Springs, 10mm spacer, Audi TT LCA bushings, 034 motorsports strut mounts, E-code lights, Audi TT "short"-shifter, IDparts rear sway bar, DG Panzer plate, Caterpillar 2m fuel filter, Frostheater, GLI Recaros, GTI 3-spoke steering wheel, Audi S3 shifter, R-line stainless pedals[/URL]
eb2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:48   #821
dhdenney
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39

Yeah where would you send off in Europe for UOA?
dhdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:51   #822
dhdenney
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2143
I'm going to get an UOA on the next oil change for the Jetta and a Volvo S70. This question doesn't so much apply to the Jetta because it only goes through about .75 quarts per 10,000 miles.

The Volvo uses almost 1 quart every 2,500 miles and I am running 5,000 mile changes on PP 5w-30. The volvo dipstick allows for 1.5 litres between "add" and "full." I usually add the minimum amount to make it the 5,000 miles, so that when it the oil is changed, it's around "add."

When you take oil for analysis, are you guys always doing it with a full sump? I know they ask for makeup oil so I'm guessing you are. Only thing 1.5 quarts of PP is $10 I'd rather not spend. But the concentration of wear metals will be a lot different depending on how much oil is in there...
I've kinda wondered about this too. I guess that's why you sample right after driving before it settles out. You're only sending in a few ounces so it seems to be an average at best.
Old December 9th, 2008, 19:00   #823
RUSHtheBUS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg hwy
Default First OCA on 09 Sedan

Lab: Blackstone
Miles: 9418
Date: 11/24/08

Aluminum: 55
Chromium: 2
Iron: 51
Copper: 31
Lead: 2
Tin: 0
Molybdenum:4
Nickle: 1
Manganese: 4
Silver: 0
Titanium: 2
Potassium: 219
Boron: 1
Silicon: 27
Sodium: 6
Calcium: 1234
Magnesium: 8
Phosphorus: 600
Zinc: 793
Barium: 1

Fuel: <.5
Water: 0
TBN: 2.8
Comments: Forego the 10K and do a 5k
Old December 9th, 2008, 19:14   #824
wjdell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg. 41.93 high 46.32 low 34.6

What was Blackstones comments. Its a first UOA and 10k is a long time, but the numbers seem high. You really will not know till the next UOA. Si of 27 we can see this is dirty oil.

Potassium 219 - very strange -

~ USED OIL ANALYSIS ~ http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958
~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
DSG ~ 17" VV ~ 36/34 psi ~
ULSD ~ DG-BP90 - speed 39.2
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~
elev 58 ft / temp 72 F / humidity 76% ~ MPG 48.3 / 42.8 / 35.6

Last edited by wjdell; December 9th, 2008 at 19:19.
wjdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 19:26   #825
dhdenney
Veteran Member

Iron wasn't bad but copper and silicon were!