www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 19th, 2018, 18:00   #91
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
I can drive my diesel more than 700 miles on the Interstate (motorway to Europeans) without stopping and when it's empty I can fill it up in about 4 minutes at any one of about 35,000 filling stations nationwide.
You can't do that in an electric.And you'll be lucky to be able to do it 20 years from now.
I could see a little tiny trailer with a generator on it being a rather unobtrusive option for occasional long distance trips.

Probably even do fine with only a 5-10kw so long as you aren't going over mountains continuously.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 20:22   #92
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I could see a little tiny trailer with a generator on it being a rather unobtrusive option for occasional long distance trips.
Probably even do fine with only a 5-10kw so long as you aren't going over mountains continuously.
Yeah, the trailer could also have extra battery capacity designed in. Ideally, the car would have a port by the hitch such that the extra battery/generator power would be available without having to stop and charge the main battery.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 09:12   #93
listerone
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52mpg (highway)

Quote:
I can see a small windmill on the roof which,once the battery's dead,will allow you to continue...at 20MPH,with no headlights,no heat or A/C,no wipers and only one occupant.

Last edited by listerone; October 20th, 2018 at 09:14.
listerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 09:41   #94
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
I can drive my diesel more than 700 miles on the Interstate (motorway to Europeans) without stopping and when it's empty I can fill it up in about 4 minutes at any one of about 35,000 filling stations nationwide.
You can't do that in an electric.And you'll be lucky to be able to do it 20 years from now.
I remember those days... my record was 865 miles on a tank. I didn’t enjoy it then; I don’t miss it now. Much prefer the convenience of fueling up at home and while stopped for breakfast, lunch, dinner or overnight while traveling.

Took me ~3 days to get from WA to NM in my 800 mile per tank Jetta. Takes ~3 days in my Tesla... miles per tank was not the limiting factor.

Miles per ‘gallon’ matters A LOT more than miles per tank...

Last edited by nwdiver; October 20th, 2018 at 09:54.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21   #95
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:

Your efficiency will be in the toilet. Between the drag of the trailer, the losses of the generator, the losses of the power transmission and the losses of the EV, you would have a really inefficient setup.

By far the most efficient highway cruising setup is to have the engine connected directly to the wheels
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22   #96
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Your efficiency will be in the toilet. Between the drag of the trailer, the losses of the generator, the losses of the power transmission and the losses of the EV, you would have a really inefficient setup.

By far the most efficient highway cruising setup is to have the engine connected directly to the wheels
Towing a generator would be less efficient because you're towing a trailer but direct drive is generally NOT more efficient than diesel electric.

How Diesel-Electric saves fuel;
Old Yesterday, 11:17   #97
wxman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I remember those days... my record was 865 miles on a tank. I didn’t enjoy it then; I don’t miss it now. Much prefer the convenience of fueling up at home and while stopped for breakfast, lunch, dinner or overnight while traveling....
I am retired from full-time work, and at least half of my annual travel miles now occur during several 500-600 mile trips (each direction) to visit family and/or take vacations. I can make all of those trips on one tank of fuel in my diesel vehicle. I have no interest in stopping multiple times during those trips to "grab a bite to eat" while waiting for a BEV to be recharged. A 5-minute stop every few hundred miles is sufficient for me. Different strokes...

Quote:
...Took me ~3 days to get from WA to NM in my 800 mile per tank Jetta. Takes ~3 days in my Tesla... miles per tank was not the limiting factor....
I expect to be able to make a 600-mile trip easily within one day.

Quote:
...Miles per ‘gallon’ matters A LOT more than miles per tank...
I disagree for reasons outlined above.
wxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:10   #98
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
I dunno,
on the drag: if you got some big honkin stupid trailer yeah, but something like you see behind motorcycles is plenty big to fit a 10k genset and really wouldn't hurt aero at all being tucked right in the dead spot. Could even see it improving aero if you've got a short enough tongue on it, acting like one of those hypermiler tail-cones.
poked into it a little bit back, and generators are as a rule around 90 percent efficient (shaft power to electric output), though the air cooled carbureted engine driving it is usually pretty junk
power transmission losses are minimal at 240v or better
I don't know about the inverters doing their thing and trying to charge the battery instead of just driving the car straight off the generated power (stick the generator to the car inverter's DC bus rather than to the car's charge controller)
I doubt it'd be worse of a parasitic loss than your average early 2000s 4 speed automatic transmission
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:48   #99
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

My genset's under the hood.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:54   #100
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
power transmission losses are minimal at 240v or better
Not if you're using speaker wire and bubble gum to interconnect. Seriously, all you'd need is a few feet of copper wire- no transmission losses to speak of.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:01   #101
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I expect to be able to make a 600-mile trip easily within one day.
As do I... how else would you cover >1800 miles in 3 days?

I spent years in the gulf protecting our supply of fools fuel... a few hours a year 'added' (time I spend stopped anyway) to my trips to do my part to reduce our addiction is a very... very.... VERY small price to 'pay'....

Last edited by nwdiver; Yesterday at 15:08.
Old Today, 05:38   #102
wxman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other Diesel

Thank you for your service. My son served several deployments there as well; I have some perspective in that regard.

BEVs, even long-range BEVs, have the disadvantage of relatively short ranges and relatively long "refueling" times compared to ICEVs, diesel ICEVs especially. We can reduce our addiction to petroleum in other ways besides fully electrifying our transportation, namely biofuels.
wxman is online now   Reply With Quote