"Cold Weather" Air Filter??

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Just replaced my air filter with a Mann filter from Rockauto. While I was on there, saw one for a "cold weather" option air filter. Looks like a "cold weather" filter came out, but I put a standard filter back in. Should I have splurged the extra $5 for the cold weather filter?

Regular: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2264514&cc=1502694&jsn=310

Cold Weather: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2264012&cc=1502694&jsn=313

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the little foam pad part on the bottom of the paper element. Thoughts?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Condensation collects some times on the filter from the n75 (supposedly) in really cold areas, this can cause some frost. No big deal, save your $5 and buy some rainx wiper fluid for cold season.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
it's like the snow screen, not actually necessary

the idea is that the snow will collect on the synthetic felt stuff, then when you are parked and the airbox heats up and melts the snow, instead of it wicking into the paper and freezing (blocking airflow) it drips down into the bottom of the airbox

if you ever notice that it doesn't start, whip the screwdriver out of your spare tire kit, yank the air filter and toss it on the dash to thaw as you drive home
protip: it'll never actually happen

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
My parts supplier told me they came out with the cold weather filter when they deleted the snow screen from the intake piping. Like mentioned above, it's likely to only be an issue in very rare instances. It's probably mainly for liability.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if snow is getting up into the air box, you have other problems you need to address.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I live in upstate NY, it gets decently cold here. Where I live, there's a LOT of moisture that accumulates on everything at night. I've never had any issues with the regular paper air filters on my TDI. I figured that if it would have happened, it would have happened to me. Save that $5 per filter change and get a celebratory burrito.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
if snow is getting up into the air box, you have other problems you need to address.

Please, PLEASE, stop giving advice on subjects you do not know anything about. OK? It will help everyone.

Diesels can suck in a lot of air in certain situations that can cause the filter media to plug up. Specifically in driving cold white powder blizzards. Big trucks and snow removal equipment have to deal with this more often. The snowscreen is there to prevent this from becoming an issue. If there is a time when you might operate your vehicle in a driving blizzard, it would be a good idea to keep the cold weather one in place. Indiana can get winter weather.

Some models (mostly older ones) have a separate screen for this. The later cars just use the extra mesh on the filter to work exactly how [486] described. It is just for driving in actual blizzard conditions. Nothing to do with cold, or moisture, but SNOW being sucked into the air intake at the top of the grill.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The answer to this question is simple: Use the correct filter for your car. Although some of us may not believe this always, VW engineers are pretty smart and have access to a lot more research than we do. This isn't a conspiracy to get more money from consumers, that foam pad is there for a reason.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the info everyone! I won't worry about it.
I live in upstate NY, it gets decently cold here. Where I live, there's a LOT of moisture that accumulates on everything at night. I've never had any issues with the regular paper air filters on my TDI. I figured that if it would have happened, it would have happened to me. Save that $5 per filter change and get a celebratory burrito.
I do like burritos!!
Please, PLEASE, stop giving advice on subjects you do not know anything about. OK? It will help everyone.
Diesels can suck in a lot of air in certain situations that can cause the filter media to plug up. Specifically in driving cold white powder blizzards. Big trucks and snow removal equipment have to deal with this more often. The snowscreen is there to prevent this from becoming an issue. If there is a time when you might operate your vehicle in a driving blizzard, it would be a good idea to keep the cold weather one in place. Indiana can get winter weather.
Some models (mostly older ones) have a separate screen for this. The later cars just use the extra mesh on the filter to work exactly how [486] described. It is just for driving in actual blizzard conditions. Nothing to do with cold, or moisture, but SNOW being sucked into the air intake at the top of the grill.
Thanks for the thorough response. I don't anticipate any white-out powder blizzards based on my experience here the past 10 years, however it's good to know which filter to get if I do see those conditions in the future.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
The answer to this question is simple: Use the correct filter for your car. Although some of us may not believe this always, VW engineers are pretty smart and have access to a lot more research than we do. This isn't a conspiracy to get more money from consumers, that foam pad is there for a reason.
Agreed. I typically use OEM parts, but wasn't real clear when it was appropriate to use the CW filter vs the regular filter. I'll definitely keep an eye on the filter if I end up doing much driving in powder this winter.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
I ordered one of these for my Jetta as well and will be installing in the next couple weeks. We get all types of winter weather conditions around here so its best to be prepared for the worst.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The prefilter will also prolong the paper filters lifetime of service. I run one and it helps to keep twigs and such out of the paper element, only smaller particles can make it through

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Thank you for being the one to break the ice. It's been a thought many times lately.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just to emphasize your point
Ouch. I just put an open element napa 6637 (huge) air filter on my plow truck. Really hope it doesn't end up looking like that. Maybe I'll wrap some foam around it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ouch. I just put an open element napa 6637 (huge) air filter on my plow truck. Really hope it doesn't end up looking like that. Maybe I'll wrap some foam around it.
That's what filter wraps are for. A piece of light cloth across the filter will do the same thing. Cheese cloth folded over a couple times is sufficient.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That's what filter wraps are for. A piece of light cloth across the filter will do the same thing. Cheese cloth folded over a couple times is sufficient.
needs to be synthetic or it'll absorb the moisture same as the paper filter media

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I'll just pay the 5. Not like that is going to break the bank. If you don't drive in snow then save your money. I do drive in whiteout conditions at times. I am one of the few with tire chains, snow tires and all the needed supplies to last a while out there too. We live in areas where in rare years it has taken my father 3 days to get home 12 miles from the blizzards and the struggle to keep roads open ( nice neighbors offered a bed).

Watch the video to understand the storm season I am talking about and notice the snow buried house. Sure rare but 5 for the filter over the life of the car doesn't rob much beer money at the end of the day.

https://www.kvrr.com/2016/11/10/never-ending-snow-the-record-smashing-snowfall-of-96-97/

I also like that it takes the leaves out from plugging the paper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
needs to be synthetic or it'll absorb the moisture same as the paper filter media
That statement was meant to be for the post imediately before it, and running equipment in conditions like that will not suck the snow through and the snow is not going to be thawing while running in those temperature's operating like that. If you want synthetic use nylons and dish scrubbing pads
This is meant only for equipment, dirt bikes and sand toys.
I run the prefilter shown, and recommend using one, as stated earlier.

Last edited:

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I'm going to agree with you on this to a point. After that I'm going to disagree. From what I understand VW had enough troubles with the snow screen plugging that when they deleted it they came out with the foam pad to take the snow screens place.

I would say that if you remove your snow screen which I think is a good idea from what I have seen on my own cars then you should replace the air filter with one that has the foam pad. If you live in an area where snow isn't a problem or you decide not to remove the snow screen then you really don't need the foam pad on your air filter.

That being said it certainly doesn't hurt to have the foam pad even if snow is not an issue as it filters out the larger garbage before it gets to the paper pleats.

That's my thoughts on the subject!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I remove the original snow screen from all my ALH cars and install the cold weather filter instead (like the BEWs already got).

The B5s never got such a change, so they still rock their original snowscreens... however on those cars, the surface area of the screen is about four times the size, and it is super easy to get to and blow out if needed.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I don't think I've ever seen my snowscreen more than about 20% clogged in the 17 years I've had my Jetta, but maybe it's not as big a concern in NJ as other parts of the U.S.?

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I don't think I've ever seen my snowscreen more than about 20% clogged in the 17 years I've had my Jetta, but maybe it's not as big a concern in NJ as other parts of the U.S.?
On my Jetta it was 100% blocked off with fine tree fuzz (seeds) and other crap.