02 ALH idles but wont rev......

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
Motor sat around about 4 or 5 years in my basement. Threw a new T belt on and put it in a golf and it wouldn't even idle at first. Timing was spot on. Used a mityvac and pulled some diesel purge threw the pump and after sitting a few days something freed itself up and the thing started like a champ BUT would not rev past 1600 rpm??? Dynamic timing is a little on the plus side but acceptable. I think the pump still has internal issues but the assembly only has 139k and i know this for a fact. Why is this thing not revving out ???? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

509vw

TDI
03 Jetta - ALH
Test the IQ Device:
Take the top cover off the pump and see a small arm or pointer. You’ll need a tri-lobe socket for the bolt in the front passenger corner. If you PM me I’ll loan you mine.
Now carefully remove any goobers and foreign debris from this area. Don’t let ANYTHING fall down in the pump. Clean with small shots of chlorinated brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Take your time. Think medically clean here.
Next take the positive lead off the battery. I like to discharge the system by touching a jumper wire from the free + cable to the - cable. Only for a couple seconds.
Then turn the ignition to the on position and leave it on.
Here’s the test: while watching the small arm in the pump, touch and hold the + cable to the battery (+ post). The arm should sweep about 90 deg and settle back to around 20 deg. from its starting point (zero).
If it does then you’re one giant step closer to a good pump. Put the cover back on and bleed the pump again. It should run now.
If it doesn’t sweep 90 then you may have more goobers in the pump under the IQ Device. There’s other posts in here about opening the pump to replace seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
Test the IQ Device:
Take the top cover off the pump and see a small arm or pointer. You’ll need a tri-lobe socket for the bolt in the front passenger corner. If you PM me I’ll loan you mine.
Now carefully remove any goobers and foreign debris from this area. Don’t let ANYTHING fall down in the pump. Clean with small shots of chlorinated brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Take your time. Think medically clean here.
Next take the positive lead off the battery. I like to discharge the system by touching a jumper wire from the free + cable to the - cable. Only for a couple seconds.
Then turn the ignition to the on position and leave it on.
Here’s the test: while watching the small arm in the pump, touch and hold the + cable to the battery (+ post). The arm should sweep about 90 deg and settle back to around 20 deg. from its starting point (zero).
If it does then you’re one giant step closer to a good pump. Put the cover back on and bleed the pump again. It should run now.
If it doesn’t sweep 90 then you may have more goobers in the pump under the IQ Device. There’s other posts in here about opening the pump to replace seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for reply, we have the tool to take the pump apart. will try that tonight.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Since it's running, put a can of diesel purge through it and see what happens. Feed it directly to the pump, I'm sure there's a how to somewhere if you need.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Second the diesel purge. I had a pump that appeared to have no timing advance function. Would rev but sputter and pop. Ran a can of purge through the pump directly and it has been good ever since. Not a guarantee but a good cheap first try.

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
When first put the car together, it would not start at all. Fed it diesel purge with a mityvac and it will start now, just not rev.

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
Well shes good to go!!! let the diesel purge set in the injection pump for a couple of days and the pump started acting right.

I must say i'm not a fan of magic in a can but that stuff works.

Thanks again for the reply's, happy dubbing.