Ridiculous glow plug story with a question at the end.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Hi All,
Man did I bugger a glow plug. I acquired my 2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed in February. Decided to tackle a bad glow plug in about 30 degree outside temp. First mistake. Yanked too hard on the bad glow plug. Second mistake. It spun and spun without coming out. Ok, so I shelved that idea till warmer weather. Plug was still holding and car was still running fine. May came around and I thought I would give it another go. Read everything I could about stuck glow plug repair scenarios. Decided to try drilling it out. I have a lot of shop experience and thought I was well qualified to try and tackle a procedure that required care and precision. Carefully stepped through ever increasing drill bit sizes. Plug wouldn't come out. Contacted the venerable Frank06 for advice and help and what I could buy off him if I completely failed at my endeavor. He is as helpful as everyone says he is.
Anyway, long story short. I didn't get the angle correct when doing my drilling and drilled a kind of angled hole into the head. Third mistake. Might be my lowest moment trying to fix anything in my life. Plug/hole leaked when started. So, I decided to cut my losses and just plug the thing up until I could replace the whole head. I cut some threads in this ridiculous hole that I made, cut off a glow plug to match the depth of my new hole(fourth mistake), then JB welded/ threaded the cutoff plug into the hole. And it worked. Glow plug/hole no longer leaked.
I then set about replacing the clutch and installing a new timing belt (from Frank06).
All good for the next 2000 miles. Then this past week I was on my way home from a long trip and I heard a thppt, thppt, thppt sound. Yep. A leak had developed. Drove about 5 stressful minutes like this till I had a safe place to pull over and sure enough the repair had failed. The thread and JB had held, but the core had blown out of the sawed-off glow plug.
I have redone the repair with a solid inch long stainless bolt, so I am back running. (I really really really want to replace the head, but just don't have the time at the moment.)
My question is, did running for 5 minutes with a loud leak from glow plug hole cause any damage? Car feels like it is running fine, if a tiny bit rough at startup. Which might not be new. What if I had run for 30 minutes? Is there damage that can be caused by a leak in the cylinder like this? Valves? Low compression causes a problem? I really really really need this car for a 450 round trip once a week commute for this fall. Thanks for any input.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I ran an all over 50,000 miles with a glow plug with basically the same repair your had. At 318,000 miles there was a runaway that decided to window the block. Not glow plug related, but you should have no problem cranking on three plugs indefinitely

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Thanks for the replies.

Curious what ‘window the block’ is?

It means something that should have been one piece on the rotating assy inside became two, and as it spun 'round broke a hole that could be considered a window. A 'revoltin development' by any means.

Douglas