Drive 2010 Jetta TDI or 2017 Passat TSI?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So we bought a new 2017 Passat TSI today. My plan was to let my wife drive it and I take over her 2010 Jetta TDI, because it gets much better mpg for the amount of driving I do. After buying it, I started to rethink the situation over.

I drive about 110 miles a day for work, M-F. Yearly, that's about 27k miles, but I'm going to say about 25k miles realisticly because of 4 day weeks during the summer, holidays, and days I take off.

The 2010 Jetta TDI has 128k miles and we haven't got the timing belt changed yet. I was originally planning on keeping the car and was going to have it done about the 130k mile service. Things changed and now I'm thinking about selling it back. The only problem is I will be adding about 30k miles to the car up to about August 2018. At that point ,the car will about nearly 160k miles. That is well past the 120k mile timing belt interval.

Am I asking for trouble by not getting it changed? Should I suck it up and pay the $1k+- that it will cost to get it done? I really don't want to do that since I plan to sell the car back, so the only other option would be for my wife to continue driving the car and only put on about 12k-15k miles on the car from now till August 2018. I would feel more comfortable doing that, because it'd only be about 20k miles over the interval.

So what do you guys think is the best option? My wife says she doesn't care, but I know she likes the new car, which why I really only want to consider changing it, or drive it as it is to 160k miles.

Also, I would lose money on the buyback for going over my allotted miles. I think you can go 1042 miles a month, but I put on twice as many miles as that in a month. How much I would lose, IDK? In the end, I think I would lose about $2.5-$3.5k to drive her TDI if I fixed the timing belt. If I didn't and it broke, then I'd be losing a lot more, because it would be pretty much the engine at that point, which means the car is worthless then.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would drive neither one.The comman rails(A6) are an expensive joke while the A7's could be yet another expensive joke because of how complex they are.

Past my BRM, there is no TDI Dub I would ever buy. On the A6, there are thousand of dollars in emission repairs that may have to be done.

If you have one of the DieselGate Dubs (A6), the best solution is for it to be totaled.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I"m driving the TDI. Loving the mileage the car is getting. I think I'm going to just change the timing belt and keep driving the car. I HOPE they come out with a fix for the car so we can possibly keep it.