oh no blue smoke!!! help please

johnjames1234

Veteran Member
TDI
golfvan
hi guys got myself 02 TDI caddy notice some blue smoke coming from exhaust.... its just a little blue . but should i be worried about this?
could it be piston rings, turbo or valve stem oil seals? i know its due an oil change soon, so maybe that will help. any info would be great.

Thanks john.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
.... a gasser as your sig? worse yet a honda gasser? wow slap in the face then asking for help ;) could be a number of things but I would drive more worry less.

Standard protocol. Check for excessive shaft wobble and compression test. Without those you're just guessing

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
A little blue/white smoke at start-up is within normal for a diesel!

Worry less and do the maintenance!

johnjames1234

Veteran Member
TDI
golfvan
JESUS sorry guys only gettin back now internet probs.
anyway there is actually a nice bit of blue smoke . if i leave it idling for a bit (let it warm up) then drive off , when i put the boot down ,i can see blue smoke, its diffenitly BLUE,
so im going too do compression test. what readings should i expect 22:1 bar?? and what would be the tolerens?

cheers guys

ps u all like my crx yeah??:)

johnjames1234

Veteran Member
TDI
golfvan
Keebler145 said:
.... a gasser as your sig? worse yet a honda gasser? wow slap in the face then asking for help ;) could be a number of things but I would drive more worry less.

Standard protocol. Check for excessive shaft wobble and compression test. Without those you're just guessing
you digging the SOL lol:)

ps shaft wobble?? cam?

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
Leak down test if you have access to the tools . Compression test will really only tell you if you gotta dead hole. Have fun holding the engine on TDC when doing a leak test . If you have bad rings you could blow dry your hair from the oil cap if you have really bad rings k . Good luck R

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
How is your oil consumption? How long are you letting it idle? I believe the turbo seal needs oil pressure to work properly but I'm no mechanic. In addition what weight and specification oil are you using?

johnjames1234

Veteran Member
TDI
golfvan
fixumrich said:
Leak down test if you have access to the tools . Compression test will really only tell you if you gotta dead hole. Have fun holding the engine on TDC when doing a leak test . If you have bad rings you could blow dry your hair from the oil cap if you have really bad rings k . Good luck R
mmm well i recently bought a compression tester, so this is the only chance i will get too use it.:)
any idea on compression readings?
cheers

far_cry

Veteran Member
TDI
octavia 1.9 TDI alh
i use in my car 15w40 vw 505.1
the oil not the problem , or you have valve seals on ****ed condistion
my car have 187k miles ,and have give there soul .but after warm up the oil blue white smoke gone
or it have bad oil rings