Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Seen this evening in Shakopee, MN

It was too good a deal to pass up -- the lowest price I've paid since January 2011.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
3.63 today at a marathon in Michigan. Cash or credit, same price. Price varies quite a bit. About 3 -5 miles away it is still 3.99.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I am working in Arlington Texas for the next few weeks. First thing I noticed here was RUG at around $3.16 (I got a "deal" at $3.77 just before I left home). Also noticed D2 at $3.78 vs $3.82 at home.

60 cents per gal difference for RUG, but only 4 cents for D2.

Unlikely to see any price spike in Calif. on RUG because of the Port Arthur Texas refinery issue because Calif. uses it own special blend just for Calif.

D2 may be another story in Calif, not sure if it will spike or not because of the Texas refinery issue.

Question about the Port Arthur Texas refinery. How much of their production is exported? How would the refinery allocate their production after it has been cut by 2/3? Would they cut exports and sell local first? Less transportation cost to sell local right?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
California is not really connected by pipelines to the rest of the country. The only exception is a pipeline that transports fuel from LA to Arizona. Arizona also receives fuel from Texas.

Back in the late summer of 2003 there was a major pipeline problem around El Paso and immediately Arizona had no fuel source other than California; I remember this well because it was just a few weeks after I bought my TDI, and I watched gasoline prices in San Diego climb over 60 cents/gallon in a single week, from around $1.50 to $2.10 a gallon -- but diesel remained under $1.60.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
$4.40 here.

Sent from my phone. Any misspellings or grammar mistakes are my phone's fault. Go by what I mean, not what my phone says.

Edit: that website was out of date (2 days old). Sorry!. On the way home from a run just now, I saw diesel for $3.98 on Cornell/Saltzman in Beaverton

Still, how is everyone else getting it so cheap? I must live in the middle of the most expensive fuel.

Last edited:

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
$3.679 for D2 at the local Texaco today. RUG was 3.859 at the same station. It has been a while since I've seen a difference this large in favor of D2. I'll happily take it and recalculate the benefit of my 30% advantage in mileage.

(okay, I'll bite - where did nicklockard find a station selling at 4.40 in Portland today. Hint - don't buy from them. The local gas prices website shows many choices for diesel 70 cents or more below that.)

http://www.portlandgasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D

Last edited:

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
I filled up at $3.49/Gallon at a local Shell station after my Ralph's discount. This is the lowest I've seen in the Los Angeles area so far :D. I definitely thought I'd be paying $5.00/Gallon by summer the way prices had been going this past year.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I found diesel for $3.499 today at a few stations in the Daphne, Alabama area (Chevron, BP, Murphy USA). That's a 20¢ difference from what it is in nearby Foley where I live, and a staggering 40¢ difference from a few bullheaded Shell stations in the region.

The lowest price award for my area goes to Sam's Club, this week, though. They're showing $3.409 right now, too bad I don't have a membership. Seems like I read somewhere (here?) that you could swoop in and activate the pumps with a Discover card, but everything I've heard and read elsewhere suggests that's not the case. Oh well, another 9¢ a gallon would be great, but not for $35/yr or whatever they charge.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Diesel in Fort Mill is $3.39, B15 is $3.54, and rug is now $2.99. Rock Hill, SC is usually a few cents cheaper for gas but not always diesel. I haven't had a reason to run that extra five to ten miles to check pricing though.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Even Lower . .

:)

Swung by the 76 in Ontario Mills late last night.

Coundn't believe my eyes as their posted cash price for D2 was $3.599.

Perhaps the lower prices for crude are starting to show up at the pumps? :confused:

:D

DHG

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Today in Oregon City, OR at the Texaco on Hwy 213 (Mollala Ave) D2 is $3.64.9 and RUG is $3.79.9 -- "Gee, that diesel stuff is cheaper than gas, maybe I should get me one of them diesel cars"

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
$3.14 here in Opelika Alabama for DIESEL
$2.92 here in Opelika Alabama for 87 octane GAS

If you use your Wal-Mart Credit card, you can subtract 5 cents per gallon...

How 'bout that! ?

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
$3.14 here in Opelika Alabama for DIESEL
$2.92 here in Opelika Alabama for 87 octane GAS

If you use your Wal-Mart Credit card, you can subtract 5 cents per gallon...

How 'bout that! ?
Wish it was that cheap down here on the coast.

Diesel's still $3.699 in my town, and RUG is $3.099

Over in Mobile County it's better, with D2 down to around $3.359 and RUG around $2.989.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
$3.559 at a marathon in warren Michigan today. Chicago and Ryan road. Cash or credit. Even better than my shell/Kroger/cash discount.

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
I filled up with D2 @ $3.69 yesterday in Berkeley, CA at a Chevron.

That's the cheapest it's been out here in quite a long time!

RUG is right at $3.69 as well.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm... WTI crude up $7.00/barrel on Friday, and Brent crude up $6.00. What's happening in the world, I wonder.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Hmm, it seems that the "speculators" that some folks on this forum swear don't affect the market decided to stop shorting and swing the market around. All because a European version of TARP has been approved. Of course, that means nothing but smooth sailing ahead and all of the euro nations will have zero unemployment and will begin driving again immediately. A 10% one day swing in the price of crude because the world economy just got a bigger band aid. No wait, it's all supply and demand! If this doesn't prove the system is broken, what does?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CRoberts: the price of something today always incorporates some estimate of what will happen to supply and demand tomorrow, next week, and next year. In the oil markets, the time frame is even longer, because it takes so long to develop an oilfield or to build a refinery.

I imagine that the recent downtrend probably went too far, too fast; but I would not be surprised to see WTI back down into the $70s in another week or two, and Brent back below $90. That's because this short-covering rally is unlikely to signal a real trend.

Crude prices in the $70-90 range are high enough to encourage both investment and conservation, yet low enough to allow for modest economic growth.