New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I assume you've been searching Craigslist for Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota as well as Iowa? But you still need to research each model year, each engine type, which transmissions are good and which are not, common problems and how easy they are to correct, etc. Since it appears that you just joined TDI Club this month, it's my guess that your education is not complete.

Boneman

TDI
none
I assume you've been searching Craigslist for Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota as well as Iowa? But you still need to research each model year, each engine type, which transmissions are good and which are not, common problems and how easy they are to correct, etc. Since it appears that you just joined TDI Club this month, it's my guess that your education is not complete.
I have not expanded my search yet, your right. I do not have time to travel very far with my schedule unfortunately. I have been talking with many people I work with that have TDIs. I have researched these forums for longer than I have been a member also. But I will do some more research. Maybe I will be able to expand my search soon.
Thanks

Reace m

TDI
1996 golf mk 3
How do I start a thread? This site is the most user unfriendly site iv ever been on in my life. The tdi club chat thing doesn't work. The contact us thing doesn't work. Even the search box disappears when I click on the text box. What a joke

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
How do I start a thread? This site is the most user unfriendly site iv ever been on in my life. The tdi club chat thing doesn't work. The contact us thing doesn't work. Even the search box disappears when I click on the text box. What a joke
All these features work fine for most of us. No worse or better than the other 6 forums I use. Your PC may be set to auto focus under the mouse which will make boxes disappear. If not then you're not putting focus on the entry box. All forum search engines seem pretty bad, use an advanced search engine. Here is a user contributed routine that is pretty handy-
VW TDI Search

Shwank

TDI
JETTA SPORT WAGON
I am new, hello

Just stopping in to say hi. I'm completely new to tdi and will try my best not to repeat old threads. working 3rd shift as a supervisor so i got the time to read!:D
3 months ago I bought a 2013 Jetta sportwagen and I pretty much love it. Its my first turbo and don't know how i lived until now. I'm spending most time in here just figuring out what the hell all the abbreviations mean.
Currently I am scheduling 80k mile service at my local performance shop. Why?Because i know nothing of diesel or turbo or what has been done to the car in the past and I can put a little money out to a local business while i learn. As far as I can tell its a bone stocker more then likely with "the fix" from VW. I assume this because there are no recalls on it that I was informed of.
That's my nutshell.

jbgmc

TDI
01 Golf
New to the TDI world

Hello everyone. I'm new to TDI's, but not new to the diesel world. I just recently bought my 01 Golf TDI. I have to fix it before I can drive it though. It seems to bent, or broken a valve, and tore up the cam and a lifter. The timing belt is still in tact though. So I will keep you posted on the job ahead.

kk84

TDI
Seat Arosa 1.4 TDI AMF
New on forum

Hello,

Im Krzysztof from Poland. Currently user of 1.4 tdi Seat Arosa.
Hope to find lot of useful stuff here. In short time i'll introduce my daily beast :D.

Rgs.

I don't know

TDI
2009 Jetta sedan
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've been checking this site out for years. It's great I might add. I've got a dsg problem on my 09 Jetta sedan. I bought it knowing it needed a dual clutch it had a p2711 code. So I took out the trans and found the dual mass flywheel was blown, I thought that might have been the problem so I replaced that and just took out the clutch and looked at it, it looked good, no really any sighs of wear and the fuid and filter looked good to. So I put it back in with new dsg oil and filter. And then tried it..no go had all those problems, death flash stuck in second won't back up so on and so on. I did the throttle to the floor reset, no change. I did some investigating and figured it was the mechatronic changed that, still the same. Then I pulled the trans again and did the dual clutch and split the trans and inspected it. It all looked good. So put it all back together, same thing. Needless to say I'm frustrated. I probably should of bought a vag com before anything. Some help would be gladly appreciated

idcwby

TDI
2012 Jetta
Hello everyone. Just bought a 2012 Jetta, first diesel car. Excited about it. It’s an auto 6speed with the manual option. I just filled up with my first tank of fuel and hand calculated, I got 35.5mpg, I figured it would do better than that? 85% freeway driving at about 85mph.

As I’ve been researching on here it looks like Mobil1 ESP 5-30w is the best oil choice for it. Any filter preference, I haven’t seen much on those or just haven’t looked at the correct threads yet.

Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
idcwby

mikedmax

TDI
2006 jetta tdi
Hi guys I have a 2006 VW Jetta tdi I was driving the other day then out of no where it went into neutral and the dash lights went out motor still running I turn it off cars dead as a door nail , I checked the 460 relay and it’s fine I replaced it just for fun still nothing I changed the ignition switch still broken ,I checked all the grounds I’m aware of still nothing , I pull the battery & cover and found the wire going to the rack and piñon was rubbing against the cv axel and wore a little of the wire didn’t break but wore into it , I’m going to repair the wires tomorrow my main question is can those wires cause the dash to black out and not allow the car to go into neutral or even crank over ? The raido works climate control works windows work lights work alarm works I’m stumped , Please any advice thank you .... battery is good yes I checked it

Last edited:

Scott.t.watts

TDI
2006 MKV TDI 5 speed manual, 2006 MKV TDI Automatic
Good day everyone. I'm new to the forum but have read posts for years in the past. I'm just trying to do some repairs and maintenance on my own. I have a Jetta 06 5-speed manual. I got a deal on another 06 but it was a DSG. In my unfortunate ignorance I made an attempt to pull it behind my truck as I had done with most of the vehicles that I owned before it including the 5 speed TDI.
Of course this didn't last because the transmission overheated, started smoking and fluid seems to have leaked out all over the transmission from the top.
I tried starting it but it didn't start. It seemed as if it was locked up.
Can anyone please give me some advice in what the real problem might be before I go throwing parts at it unnecessarily.
I was able to get a used one from a salvage yard but there is no way to tell if it is good until I install it unfortunately. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I am actually in New Orleans now also and it is difficult to find someone here who even knows what VCDS means and if I did they were pricey.
Help!...please
Thanks

J.Harrison

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan, 2003 Ford Excursion 6.0
another new member to the site

Another new member, however I'm not new to diesels.
2003 for Excursion 6.0
2010 Jetta TDI sedan white
2006 Jetta TDI sedan grey, colt cam, EGR delete, stage two tune.....R.I.P.

Currently researching some DPF problems..... lots of info from great members!!

mpland

TDI
2004 Jetta
Hello, New please guide me to the correct place

I am new here. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI-BEW with 321,000 miles. I do have a problem and am not sure how or where to post .

I just replaced the turbo and now it will not start. I seems to fire once then shuts down The vac-com gives me:
18000 P1592 Attitude /Boost sensor
16621 P0257 Manifold Pressure/ Boost

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you

Longhorn1986

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Hey y'all!

New to TDIs, but not to diesels nor to VWs. Besides a CPO 2015 Passat TDI SE that I just bought Friday, I have a 2011 Ford F350 6.7 Powerstroke and am selling my old 1996 F250 7.3 Powerstroke. I guess my first exposure to diesels was being brought home from the maternity hospital by my folks in their MB 190D back in 1964. My dad was a diesel mechanic for over 50 years. As far as VWs go, they had a 1968 Type 4 411 and I had a 1977 gasser Rabbit back as an undergrad at the University of Texas in the early 1980s.

Looking forward to the new ride and learning about another diesel platform.

Michael aka Longhorn1986

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Log into pics.tdiclub.com, click upload, follow prompts, harvest link for full size, medium or thumbnail then paste link to post.
More complete instructions in my signature.

TDI
None...yet
Shopping for my first VW and first TDI, need advice.

I drive 30k a year and I am looking at buying a 2015 VW TDI. I have test driven a Passat, Jetta, and a Wagon. I have two little kids so I have been leaning toward the Passat for the room in the backseat when we go on trips. I would like to tap into your knowledge of TDI's on which one I could rack up some serious miles on without a ton of issues. I do all my own vehicle maintenance but have never worked on Diesels before at all. My everyday commute is just by myself through rougher blacktop roads, in the winter they can be pretty untouched. Looking for any advice you veterans might have that will help me make a decision. Thanks for listening. Looking forward to posting a picture of my new VW when I finally pull the trigger.

mrorganic

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
As I’ve been researching on here it looks like Mobil1 ESP 5-30w is the best oil choice for it. Any filter preference, I haven’t seen much on those or just haven’t looked at the correct threads yet.

Any tips or suggestions is appreciated.

I would use the VW filter and VW recommends a special low ash Castrol, I think is says LLO7. I would use all VW filters. Is your car still under warranty? Has it has the modification done to it? I think there is 120,000 extended warranty on it and a 54,000 miles warranty from the mileage of the modification. The car must have a Misfuel Guard kit on it for VW to honor the warranty. I know i learned the hard way.

Dro.Pru

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI
Hello All!
My name is Alessandro, I've been a long time lurker here on TDIclub (since 2013) but I didn't make an account until October 17' and this is my first post.

I had a Blue Lagoon 2002 Vw Jetta TDI (ALH) that I bought in May 2013 with Veggie Oil kit already installed. I had the car a year and a half, and got into a bad accident which totaled the car. After that I bought my second diesel in December 2014, a Platinum Gray 2004 Jetta GLS (BEW).

I was always a hands-on person; did my own oil changes/ filter changes, bulbs, and brakes, however I wouldn't dive into bigger projects with my cars until a couple of years ago. 6 months after I bought the new-to-me tdi, the cam shaft took a crap. This was when I was too scared to attempt the work myself so I had Mike (Hevster) of M&M Autocycle do the repairs. He replaced the cam (Frank06 supplied), an injector, and did a new timing belt. I was very happy with his work, and the car ran fine!

2 Years and nearly 50k miles later in October 2017, the timing belt was nearly destroyed when the idler pulley seized, causing the nut at the end of the stud to shear off, getting stuck in between the crankshaft pulley and the timing belt, shearing half of the timing belt lengthwise. This happened to me nearly a year ago.

Since then I have taken the head off, decided to rebuild it with new valves/valve seats. Then decided to rebuild the block because it had 241k on it and I both felt like it and wanted to clean it up. In hindsight it probably wasn't necessary, but I also repainted the Block with POR-15 to get rid of the flaky rust and I wanted a learning experience. I did this all with the help of this forum/youtube/the Bentley Manual and a few friends IRL along the way. I got the engine rebuilt successfully and I plan on doing a full right up chronicling the entire process with pictures. I probably could have done things differently, but they got done the way they did and I don't regret it. I spent a substantial amount of money (at least for me) on my car, but I love her, and knowing fully well that there will never be a return on investment of what I spent both time and moneywise on a 14 year old car. I did it as passionately and as best as I could. Luckily this occurred just as I got my first full-time job post college and so I had the income to support the endeavor of which I bought parts slowly as I decided to do things/needed them. The whole process was amortized across the better part of a year. I also had portions of times I couldn't work on the car due to family events.

ANYWAY, I put the car back on the road last week and I do have a few bugs with the car that I'm trying to resolve, but I will make a separate thread for that in the model specific section. I just wanted to introduce myself officially before I posted asking for help. And I apologize for such a wordy introduction, I know I talk a lot, but I don't know how to do it any other way. :)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
something that has saved me more than once over the years is the fact that long ago it was a requirement on these diesels to inspect the cam belt drive system every ~6 months or so or after an extended 10s of thousand miles run over a short period of time.....In fact on an old 1.6L TD jetta I had the old idler pulley come loose(the old style had a sharp raised edge that was redesigned due to this specific type of failure) cutting down the belt after a cross-country drive. I found that this had happened through that required at the time inspection before the belt failed saving me from piston & head damage....

Tru212

TDI
1.9 alh
Looking at buying a 99 golf alh with 234,000 miles, said timing belt done 20,000 ago with water pump tensioner exc, my question is what should I look for? Common problems?

Cycletroll

TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
New TDI owner and forum newb!

Evening all,
Been a lurker on the forum for years and have wanted a TDI for years as well! After much research I finally pulled the trigger on exactly the car i wanted: 2013 grey JSW 6spd manual with no sunroof. Had 45k miles on it when I purchased her. I intend to do a full RAWTEK delete and exhaust with cat and resonator and a Malone Stage 2 tune. Will be buying a Rosstech VCDS to facilitate doing all my own maintenance. Hope to keep this car several hundred thousand miles. Thus far I love it!

-Ct

noslin

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagen
Greetings all,

just picked up 2014 JSW loaded for 14k and has 17k miles on it. its a California car and has had the emissions mods done. it has beige interior and i think Moon Rock Silver Metallic in color. I wanted the JSW because of the room and also have always wanted the TDI due to the milage and power (torque). Ive had Chevy dmax for about 7 years now w/ 245k miles on it. this is the other reason for getting a newer car, to keep miles off the truck which was a daily driver. There is still 15 months left on drive train warranty and about 48 months left on emissions warranty.

Ive always been a vw person since early 80's when i purchased my 56 oval and that i STILL have till this day (36 years). I drag raced an aircooled vw for a few years, it was a vw pro mod. best et out of it was 8.67 @ 162 mph. i sold it and now building a front engine dragster (no vw motor though). Im going to get the oval setup for bracket racing though. was going to use it as a daily but i want creature comforts haha.

anyways, i have to dive into the forum as i have some questions about fuel additives, is there a lift pump or is it only the injector pump, is fuel type that important (low sulfer etc), oil types. Ive always used amsoil in the truck without issue. filter changes etc. i have no idea if they changed the oil on this thing or not, ill have to check the odometer to see when it was reset for oil change. and see how to get the radio to play music via phone through bluetooth if possible instead of using aux jack.

reading a bit on the forum the other day, i think ill get the sun roof tinted and maybe the side windows. it does have factory tint on all the other windows except drivers. i think ill get a dash mat for it too.

Thank you
Dean

JediJoker

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Hello from the PNW!

New to the forum, but I've been driving what is now—as of earlier this year—my 2011 JSW TDI 6-speed off-and-on since it was purchased new off the lot by my father. It has replaced my first car, a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro 6-speed sedan that was also originally purchased by my father. (In a not-quite-ironic twist, I actually traded the A6 back to my parents for the Jetta.) Although I sometimes miss the interior design, more upscale feel, and drivetrain of the A6, I have no regrets about the trade. The Jetta is lighter, nimbler, nearly as torquey, better-sized, more practical, and more fun to drive, all while achieving fuel economy unthinkable in the A6 and with 10-year newer electronics and features (including a panoramic roof). I've even taken it to one track day at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, CA, completely stock on all-season tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+), and I came within 1 second of my previous best lap time in the A6 with highly upgraded suspension, brakes, wheels and tires (200TW Falken Azenis RT615K in 235/40R18):

I name my cars without anthropomorphizing or gendering them. My A6 was "Das Boot" and had a CA plate to match. The name for the Jetta was obvious: "Dieselgate." I was worried Oregon might not allow my choice of plate, but it ended up going through without incident, and I couldn't resist ordering a cheeky custom frame to go along with it:

It's now had its emissions fix done, and from behind the wheel in all driving conditions, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Economy is probably slightly down, but I'm not a hypermiler and may never see a significant change. I'll know better after my next trip down to California or up to Seattle.

Looking forward to engaging with the community here, especially the other driving enthusiasts who take their TDIs to the track!

Last edited:

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Props for that plate lol. Welcome
New to the forum, but I've been driving what is now—as of earlier this year—my 2011 JSW TDI 6-speed off-and-on since it was purchased new off the lot by my father. It has replaced my first car, a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro 6-speed sedan that was also originally purchased by my father. (In a not-quite-ironic twist, I actually traded the A6 back to my parents for the Jetta.) Although I sometimes miss the interior design, more upscale feel, and drivetrain of the A6, I have no regrets about the trade. The Jetta is lighter, nimbler, nearly as torquey, better-sized, more practical, and more fun to drive, all while achieving fuel economy unthinkable in the A6 and with 10-year newer electronics and features (including a panoramic roof). I've even taken it to one track day at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, CA, completely stock on all-season tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+), and I came within 1 second of my previous best lap time in the A6 with highly upgraded suspension, brakes, wheels and tires (200TW Falken Azenis RT615K in 235/40R18):

I name my cars without anthropomorphizing or gendering them. My A6 was "Das Boot" and had a CA plate to match. The name for the Jetta was obvious: "Dieselgate." I was worried Oregon might not allow my choice of plate, but it ended up going through without incident, and I couldn't resist ordering a cheeky custom frame to go along with it:

It's now had its emissions fix done, and from behind the wheel in all driving conditions, I haven't noticed much of a difference. Economy is probably slightly down, but I'm not a hypermiler and may never see a significant change. I'll know better after my next trip down to California or up to Seattle.

Looking forward to engaging with the community here, especially the other driving enthusiasts who take their TDIs to the track!
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk