B4V wheel steer

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
I am thinking of buying a B4V - I have had several VWs Mk1-Mk4s and none have had wheel steer but this B4V does - when I accelerate it pulls to the right and most any speed whether from start or if crusting and then I accelerate.

I am wondering what could cause wheel steer to the right when one accelerates? Almost feels like something is worn in trans - doesn't feel loose but it veers notablely to the right

It does have 520 nozzles and Rocket Chip Stage 3 chipped ECU

It has been doing this for several years and no notable tire ware either so I don't know what to think of it?

Whats your take?

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know if it is called wheel steer but it feels like the right side wheel tries to faster with traction than the left wheel

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like an alignment problem or worn out control arm bushings, causing the control arm to move and the car to pull to one side during acceleration.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think we read this "pulls to the right under acceleration".
I can only guess alignment (even rear) or resistance. Possible it's CV joints, though it seems even a worn joint would still turn at the same rate, unless one side is a cheap replacement unit.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
the B4's are kinda portly and were built on an already outdated platform to begin with...

don't get me wrong, i loved mine, but the bushings and steering components needed frequent attention... and trying to get by on cheap parts just meant doing it again in a few months.

check all the bushings and steering components and replace whatever is wore out with whatever good stuff you can find - which isnt much on the B4's

good luck

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to jack Passat up and look everything over. It doesn't feel like a normal out of alignment drift to the right - the tires are all evenly worn - CV axles are tight and have been replaced. Both control arm bushing have been replaced with the good TT bushings and are in great condition - all other bushings ball joints and outer tie-rods are in good shape - the only thing that might be a bit loose is the driver's side inner tie rod but that's on the drivers side not passenger side where the wheel steer is notice - could a non-tight inner left tie-rod cause right-hand felt wheel steer?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Any slop in the steering and suspension can certainly contribute to that feeling, yes.

The other thing to consider is the axles. If the passenger side axle in particular has been replaced with an aftermarket one, that is often times a big cause as well.

Most aftermarket axles use a small diameter shaft for the long passenger side axle. The OEM axles are MUCH thicker diameter, though hollow, but they do still reduce the amount of twist the larger axle goes through when accelerating hard. And that's why VW did it that way to begin with. The driver side short axle is a much thinner diameter, the larger diameter on the longer axle is to try and reduce torque steer to the right from having unequal length axles.