Timing too advanced to plot graph

blued

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf V 140 TDI
This is the message I'm receiving in vag-com when I try to plot a graph. I fitted a new belt and idler about 3000 miles ago and have notice about a 3mpg drop in consumption. I have a thread in the mpg forum but I think as this is now a timing issue I should start a new one.

The car is a 2000 Golf GT TDI 115PD.

It starts and runs just as it did before I did the belt but the timing being so far out is a little concerning to me. I have a 320 mile round trip this weekend.

Can I retard the timing with vag-com or is it possible that the injection pump could be as much as a tooth out? This is my first diesel - on a petrol engine if you're a tooth out you know it! The car seems to run perfectly.

Any advice appreciated. Fingers crossed I'm not going to have to remove everything surrounding the belt again!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You need to pull the belt and re-do the timing. The cam pulley is at least 1 if not 2 teeth off. But, without the tools for this just pull the belt and start over unless you can get slack under it. (doubtfull)

Captinphildo

TDI
02 Jetta
The same thing happened when I did my timing belt, I just loosened the bolts and adjusted it, there was enough travel in the pump to get it in perfect time, I would try this before messing with the belt timing

blued

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf V 140 TDI
Jason which tools do you mean? I have the pin for locking the camshaft, hydraulic tensioner locking tool and the crank locking one also.

Captinphildo said:
The same thing happened when I did my timing belt, I just loosened the bolts and adjusted it, there was enough travel in the pump to get it in perfect time, I would try this before messing with the belt timing
I believe the PD (AJM) engine doesnt have an injection pump?

Lastly will I have done any damage running it like this and should I avoid the 300 mile journey this weekend? Unlikely I'll be able to sort it before then.

Last edited:

blued

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf V 140 TDI
Should have read to the bottom of the page :eek:

Note to 1.9 PD (pumpe duese aka unit injectors) owners: You cannot nor do not need to set your timing electronically. There are no graphs published for the simple reason that the timing is set using a dedicated VAG locking tool when changing the timing belt :)

Seems I'm ok!