2015 Jetta TDI EA288 MPG Thread

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
Would like to see how others are doing on there MPG with the new 2015 Jetta TDI EA288 engine.

2015 Jetta TDI SE 6MT

I just filled my car today for the third time at 1193 miles. According to Fuelly.com I averaged 47.5 on my last tank (second tank) with mixed driving and Air conditioning some days (I live in Florida:D). Also when filling up today I noticed my tire pressure was 30, 30, 31 and 32 psi. Picked it up from the dealer this way. Changed it to 39 psi all around, so this may help the MPG on the current tank.

cek1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
Im interested in this thread as I'm considering a '15 Jetta or Passat. Does the '15 Jetta have a 14.5 gallon tank? VW website says 14.5 but a few on here have mentioned 13.2? That is a possible deal breaker for me.

If you guys start reporting 48+ on the highway Im in! My '01 Golf has a lifetime average of 49.42.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
2015 Sedan have 14.5 gal tank. 2015 Mk7 Golf has 13.2 gal tank. 2015 GSW is expected to have 13.2 gal tank also.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

alpinex

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I just bought a 2015 Jetta TDI last week. A few years back I bought a used 2011 Jetta 2.5 SE for a commuter car to help keep the miles off of my BMW 3-series. The 2011 Jetta was a little better than driving a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, but whatever, it was a commuter car. With the '11 Jetta 2.5 commuter car getting close to 80K miles, I decided to trade it in for a 2015 Jetta. While at the dealership I discovered the TDI, test drove it, and loved it - looks similar, but a COMPLETELY different vehicle to drive compared to my old 2011 Jetta. I have never paid any attention to diesel cars in the past... I thought they were all gutless, noisy, and stinky. The driving Jetta TDI for the first time completely changed my view. Why would anyone buy a gas car, let alone a gas hybrid??? - This is completely 180 degrees if you would have asked me my opinion 2 weeks ago.

So far I am getting just over 45mpg according to the average mpg on the odometer and the mpg app on my phone. The dealership gave me a full tank of diesel and I have only been to the gas station once (just passed 1K), and have just over a 1/4 of tank left. I love driving the TDI and I am actually eager to drive my daily commute.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Why would anyone buy a gas car, let alone a gas hybrid???
You got it. That's what people here have been asking for years. Once you drive a small displacement diesel, it's difficult to understand why anyone would want anything else.

Welcome to the club! And don't forget to start referring to "fuel" and "filling station" instead of gas and gas station. People get nervous here when they read "gas." :D

Gearhead007

TDI
2015 VW Jetta EA288/CVCA
I also purchased a 2015 Jetta last week. I did 54 mpg on the first 100 mile run. I am impressed.

I will post my average fuel economy when I fill up the first time. It might be a while.

Gearhead007

TDI
2015 VW Jetta EA288/CVCA
Manual or Automatic?
Manual. I have not had a manual in over a decade and wanted one.
I can get the same life from a clutch as I can an automatic and clutches are cheaper to fix. This has been my experience anyway...
I tend to drive a vehicle till the wheels fly off or someone totals it.

Nick_F

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi Highline
Im at 14000km on my '15 TDi DSG

I'm averaging about 5.5-5.8L per 100km with spirited driving.(average about 90km a day) On a long haul drive i was able to get 4.9L on a tank.

I really dig the DSG. First "automatic" i have ever owned and it is so fun!

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
Just averaged 50 MPG on my third tank according to fuelly.com. I been refueling at 1/4 tank.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Why would anyone buy a gas car, let alone a gas hybrid??? - This is completely 180 degrees if you would have asked me my opinion 2 weeks ago.
My reputation among family, friends, and coworkers on how to get at least 300k miles out of a VW diesel draws a lot of VW/TDI questions. I have talked a few coworkers out of buying a TDI when I told them that if you drive less than 20 miles/day this is probably not a car for you. Short trips are hard on diesels, and short trips in winter are even worse.

I was even able to talk a few friends out of buying hybrids. After they ignored the hype and did their due-diligence on battery costs, poor range, poor performance, and the environmental impact of rare-earth metals mines and processing plants, not much of a gain economy and environmental wise for the investment.

I have two coworkers who bought used TDIs after seeing what I have gotten out of mine. One drives 80 miles/day, the other 150 miles/day. As you would expect they ecstatic about the high fuel mileage and low operating cost with those kind of commutes.

When the wife bought her car, she got the 2.5 as she drives ~5 miles/day. I drive ~500 to ~600 miles/week so anything but a TDI is stupid. Gasoline fueled cars are still the best option for a lot of people.

:)

Last edited:

sid87

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I picked up a 2015 SEL TDI with lighting package the end of December. This is our 3rd Jetta TDI ('04 and '09 previously) and while we've only put about 1,200 miles on it I'm pretty satisfied. The only complaint we have is the driver's seat - while it's powered, the front of the seat bottom is fixed so you can't get a really comfortable position (same problem with the Passat) and it could use a bit more side bolstering. I see from a post in the TDI/News forum the Golf Sportwagon will fix that. Too bad we couldn't wait...needed another car for the winter that would replace our commuter BMW 335d in the spring. So far on 2 tanks of fuel we're getting just over 38MPG but that's in the cold and lots of city type driving. MFI reported 50.3MPG on a jaunt to Philly last week. Oh yeah, there is one other gripe - the driver side wiper can't be elevated because the arm won't clear the hood - real bugger in bad weather when you don't want the wipers freezing to the windshield. And no, leaving the hood propped up to raise the wiper arm isn't an option!!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I picked up a 2015 SEL TDI with lighting package the end of December. This is our 3rd Jetta TDI ('04 and '09 previously) and while we've only put about 1,200 miles on it I'm pretty satisfied. The only complaint we have is the driver's seat - while it's powered, the front of the seat bottom is fixed so you can't get a really comfortable position (same problem with the Passat) and it could use a bit more side bolstering. I see from a post in the TDI/News forum the Golf Sportwagon will fix that. Too bad we couldn't wait...needed another car for the winter that would replace our commuter BMW 335d in the spring. So far on 2 tanks of fuel we're getting just over 38MPG but that's in the cold and lots of city type driving. MFI reported 50.3MPG on a jaunt to Philly last week. Oh yeah, there is one other gripe - the driver side wiper can't be elevated because the arm won't clear the hood - real bugger in bad weather when you don't want the wipers freezing to the windshield. And no, leaving the hood propped up to raise the wiper arm isn't an option!!
The wipers do have a park position.......once you turn the engine off hit the wiper switch and the wipers go to the park position and then can be elevated
Have you looked at your owners manual?

Gearhead007

TDI
2015 VW Jetta EA288/CVCA
Fill up #2 Average Mileage.

I am down on the second fill up.

I averaged 41.663 MPG. I believe this is because of several multi-minute warm ups and the average ambient temperature below 32 degrees F.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Keep is mind most of my Driving is in town......every time I go on the Highway the MFI shows in the high 40's.....I am sure it will improve drastically with warm weather ....my Hybrid also got very low numbers in the cold!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sure, but this shows what a hit newer cars take on short trips in cold weather. My last tank in my ALH was almost all suburban driving, average trip is 5-6 miles. Lots are shorter. And it's been COLD here, with snow on the roads most of the time for the last three weeks. We've had several mornings below zero in the past two weeks. Filled it last Wednesday, 42 MPG. I bet my '12 would have gotten mid-30s in the same driving.

Clean diesel isn't without its cost.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Sure, but this shows what a hit newer cars take on short trips in cold weather. My last tank in my ALH was almost all suburban driving, average trip is 5-6 miles. Lots are shorter. And it's been COLD here, with snow on the roads most of the time for the last three weeks. We've had several mornings below zero in the past two weeks. Filled it last Wednesday, 42 MPG. I bet my '12 would have gotten mid-30s in the same driving.

Clean diesel isn't without its cost.

You can say that again.

My hybrid is still getting mid to upper 30's on the interstate in this abnormal winter weather for Eastern VA. It struggles to stay above 30 in the urban driving though. I've been watching the oil temp in MFD and it has a hard time getting to and staying at 180. It won't get into the 190's at all unless I go into manual mode and downshift the DSG.

cek1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
First tank. 42.35 mpg calculated. 44.1 in the MFD.

Outside Temps in the 20s and below. Fridays drive started at 0 degrees. Reasonable for my first week in a car that started with 7 miles on the odo last monday.

SEL, 6spd

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I'm at 15,000 Km's now and on average I get about 900 - 1000 km's to a full tank.

Keep in mind that this is with Canadian winter (average temperature of -20 D.C. / -4 F), my commute is all highway but going up & down hilly terrain for 3/4 of it.

The highest I achieved was 1100 km to a tank and that was when the car was still fairly new and I was doing highway commutes into the city & back (warmer temps, more flat terrain).

My average is 4.6L / 100 km in the city (51.1 mpg) & 5.4L / 100 km to work & back (43.5 mpg)

Last edited:

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
My recent trip to the Carolina's I averaged 52 MPG Calculated and running about 73-75 mph. Temps where between 40-50 degrees on the way up. Usually stop a lot at the rest areas as I have my Labrador with me.

Last edited:

CODE4LS1

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI, 2015 TDI Jetta SEL
1st tank on my 2015 Jetta SE yielded 43.4 mpg. 100 mile round trip to/from work, with the return route all uphill (Cajon Pass) Been trying to shift it when the DIC says to while breaking it in (MN6).

cek1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
Today's fillup 46 mpgs over 562 miles. MFD reading about 2.5 mpgs high. Temps vary during this tank, teens up to 50s. That's 80 miles highway, 40 miles suburbs per day.

Ram4Sam

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Looking for excuses to drive this little car........fun to drive. First tank was pretty much all city/easy break in miles, right at 37 mpg:) Did a small road trip, 300 miles, 70mph plus, right at 47 mpg......too cool.

Sam