Stick with 235/45/18 or go to 225/50/18? H or V rated?

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I currently have the 235/45/18 Bridgestone Turanza El 400's in an H rating----ugh.

I really want something quieter, smoother, and safer that will maximize MPG's as well. I drive pretty easy as well, especially since I am hauling my 1 year old son around.

From what I could find on Tire rack, The tires I have weigh 24 lbs and tread width is 8.1". I could not find overall diameter specs but similar Bridgestones are either 26.3" or 26.5"

All of the 225/50/18 seem to have an overall diameter of 26.9" Is this little bit going to affect my speedometer? Is this little bit really going make a difference in ride and Gas mileage? Even worth the hassle of changing sizes? I would like the idea of filling up the wheel well a little with a taller tire but is .6 inches really going to be noticeable? The 225/50/18 seems to be a little more expensive as well.

The tire's I am debating between are the same ones everyone else seems to be debating between - Pirelli P7, Conti Pure Contact, and Michelin MXM4.

Conti Pure- 235/45/18 - V rated - 24 lbs, 26.3" diameter and 9" tread width
Pirelli P7 - 235/45/18 - H rated- 25 lbs, 26.5" diameter and 8.4" tread width
Michelin MXM4- 235/45/18 - V rated - 26 lbs, 26.3" diameter and 9.2" tread width.
Michelin Defender - 225/50/18 - T rated - 24 lbs, 26.9" diameter and 9.2" tread width.
Michelin MXM4- 225/50/18 - W rated - 25 lbs, 26.9" diameter and 7.8" tread width.

The Pirelli P7 is intriguing me the most because of the H rating. That should mean a little better ride than the V because the sidewall is not as stiff correct?

I have also read that the more tire to the ground, the worse the MPG's. Most of the replacement options I am looking at have a wider tread than what i have. Is it so minimal that it will not even matter?

I have read probably too many reviews here, tire rack, and other places and just cannot decide. The good news is any of the replacements I am looking at will be much better than what I have based on the information I have read.

I keep going back to the Michelins based on the tire rack review in the link below because it seems to be the best riding and quietest of the 3. But this review also used the V rated Pirelli and not the H rated version?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=171

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. As you can see I am over thinking this but whatever I buy, I am going to have to live with for at 50k miles.

Thanks in advance for all replies and suggestions.

Last edited:

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
I went through a similar deal about 4 years ago with my JSW TDi. Traded the 17" wheels for VW 16's, went with a taller narrower lighter tire with a high rating for economy. Of course they squealed at the slightest provocation and were not fun to drive at all. Did careful calculations before & after, had to adjust the speedo with VCDS to get it right. After all was done, the difference in MPG's was too close to call, less than 1 mpg better.

I'd only make a change if it is to something that you like, looks better, or really want for some other reason.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Tire rack suggests the 225 as an alternate for snow tires - probably not a bad idea to have a bit narrower tire on snowy roads.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I was debating between your first three choices and went with the Pirelli P7 H. Mainly due to the stellar user reviews at Tire Rack and that Sams has them on sale with a $60 credit. I think the Michelin, Pirelli and Conti are all very good and probably very close to each other in performance. I like to buy tires from Sams due to location to me, service and price, and they don't sell Conti so it was the Michelin or Pirelli.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I was debating between your first three choices and went with the Pirelli P7 H. Mainly due to the stellar user reviews at Tire Rack and that Sams has them on sale with a $60 credit. I think the Michelin, Pirelli and Conti are all very good and probably very close to each other in performance. I like to buy tires from Sams due to location to me, service and price, and they don't sell Conti so it was the Michelin or Pirelli.
Thanks. Have your Pirelli's lived up to expectations? Way better than Bridgestone?

John Nash

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDi
Michelin

I just bought and am getting ready to mount the 235/45/18 MXM4's
If you drive like you described I would go with the Defender 225/50/18 because of the mileage difference.Hind sight..I should have done the same. I used to work for Michelin in Nova Scotia so am a little partial to the brand.I also run them on my BMW GS & HD motorcycles.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks. Have your Pirelli's lived up to expectations? Way better than Bridgestone?
I don't have them installed yet, should have them on in a few days. I'll write a post on initial findings after I get a few miles on them.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I just bought and am getting ready to mount the 235/45/18 MXM4's
If you drive like you described I would go with the Defender 225/50/18 because of the mileage difference.Hind sight..I should have done the same. I used to work for Michelin in Nova Scotia so am a little partial to the brand.I also run them on my BMW GS & HD motorcycles.
Defender is a lot more expensive. Do you really feel it will get better gas mileage versus turanzas or mxm4?

I don't have them installed yet, should have them on in a few days. I'll write a post on initial findings after I get a few miles on them.
Thanks for the replies. I assume both of you had the same Turanzas as me? Very interested to hear both of your reviews once you have them installed.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I know this thread is a few years old, but the info is helpful. So I'll add
I went to have Snow tires I purchased for $143 per tire mounted at a local shop. I got these Blizzak WS80 tires in that size for the year end price. Normally these tires go for $200+ for sizes in the 18in category. The Contis were 26.3in with 9.4 tread width. The Blizzaks were 26.9 with 7in tread width.

They call you into the shop like you're a female or something :p

Sir do you know these tires are different size ? They're likely to hit blah blah blah. I said no, they are only .6 taller and more narrow. Long story short they fit fine and are fine. Just because your vehicle calls for one size, doesn't mean a slightly different size is not going to work.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
Blizzak

Contis

Clearance at sidewall is same as Conti

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
The speedometers are so off on these cars anyways. You can easily go up to 27" diameter and you will still be reading lower than actual speed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
just toss my 2cents in

I used to love bridgestone serenity line of tires have a set on the Jetta, they have lasted quite a while and no real complaints but they are only 16" I can't imagine what they'd be in 18" flavor.

When it was time to source 18" for the passat we love our nokian nTyre 2.0 cheaper option than anything worth while tossing on and great lasting grand touring tire, quite and handles great for our needs. Will be sourcing them again when its times for new shoes for the Alltrack.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
The Blizzaks work great when it's over the hood :p

Guy at Monroe said "Why you putting snow tires in now" lol

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
Heading out to shovel/snowblow now :(

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Woah, that is some major snow! We get the bitter cold here, but it seems you guys have us beat most years for snowfall.

Question for anyone, any opinion on quietness, conti pure vs. Michelin MXM4? Is one noticably better?

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
This winter was relatively light prior to this one storm. March brought more winter this year than Jan or Feb. That is, unfortunately, how it is here. :(

I'd say the Michelin is better all around tire. Quiet, balances easy etc.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My car had cont's on it when I bought it. First thing I did is set toe to 0 both front and rear. After 20k miles, the wear is even. Conti's seem like an ideal tire for these cars provided you make the toe correction. With the toe settings as came from factory, I found the car sluggish in response and frankly unacceptable handling characteristics. After setting tow, castor and camber were spot on, wheras before they were't.

WhatsThatNow

TDI
well…if we an get enough 2cent deposits we’ll have a buck pretty damn soon.

I’ll add: 235/45/18 has to be the worst experience. Ymmv. Definitely don’t put Pirelli p zero all season in any part on the glob that has pot holes. They’ll pop more than Orville.

235/50/18 have Proven themselves to be a much superior ride. Waaaay smoother and less like driving a steel beam on a bumpy road.

as for handling, I still have the same contact patch essentially. I’m sure with the slightly taller side wall there’s a fail point that maybe a race car driver can detect. For me? I’m still zipping on and offhighways as fast as I can. I’ve logged over 1 million miles on my cars so far and I’ve got a pretty good feel of where the limits are.

And just because im a moron, I prefer to find the line on cornering by choice than by accident by pushing through until a get a little tire squawk. Once my tires are broken in I’ll run them a couple times like that to make sure I’m not surprised with a compound that sucks or something.

anyway…235/50/18 ftw.
As for snow shoes Anythjng blizzak FTW. But 225/50/18 is where I prefer to be sure the car can handle deep snow without issue. But really 235/50/18 feels the same IMO. Just as “slushy” on the steering wheel that gives me peace of mind that I’ve got a kick ass winter set of tires.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
studs or none for us

Haka 9 studded on both rides, This past weekend i did find they are rated for 118mph or 120mph without the studs ejecting.

Bizaks are good but wear way to quick for my tastes, only 20K or so of winter wear then they are a decent all season.