1970 Beetle and play in front left wheel

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I am getting my 70 standard back on the road for the summer. I was checking tire pressures and while doing so, noticed that with the car sitting on the groundmove the front passenger wheel back and forth (9-3 oclock) It was quite stunning. What is this a symptom of? It is accompanied by a knock.

Waldek Walrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
Tie Rod End?

Don't know how much help I can be. I have played a bit with Beetles of that vintage - but all engine stuff. I HAVE worn out more than my share of suspension stuff on other cars.

Question: Are you saying that you grab the wheel at the 9 oclock and three oclock positions and it will move (like someone was turning the steering wheel)? Then you hear the clunk? That has the sound of a tie rod end. Then again, I am trying to think cheap and easy to fix...

Good luck and I hope you are on the road soon. Today here would have been a beautiful day to drive around in a real Beetle!:)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Tie rod ends?? Crawl under so you can see the suspension bits and get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth or grab the tire and work the play. Looking at the joints in the suspension you should be able to see where the play is.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
There is definitely some play in the steering wheel. But with the car sitting on the ground, I can go out of the car....grab the front tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and push/pull and get some movement and a clunk.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would say a tie-rod end as well. The Standard Beetle's steering is fairly simple, but is best serviced from above with the fuel tank removed (which is also quite easy).

If it were mine, I would replace all the steering linkages at one time, get it aligned, and be done with it. All easily obtained, all pretty inexpensive.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would not do the ball joints unless needed.

You could probably drive it 30 miles just go slow. Check the torsion beam in front closely for rust as well.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Jack up the car on that side and check for the 9 and 12 O'Clock play as well. Its either the tie rod end (there is only an outter), the suspension ball joint (s) or the inner and/or outter wheel bearing. Wheel bearings may just be loose (not adjusted correctly). These are adjustable (old skool-inner and outer tapered roller bearinigs and a big washer and an allen wrench locked adjuster nut).

Just 3 and 9 O'Clock play would indicate to me a bad tie rod ball joint. If the play is 12/6 O'Clock, suspension ball joint(s) or loose wheel bearing.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
POWERSTROKE said:
There is definitely some play in the steering wheel. But with the car sitting on the ground, I can go out of the car....grab the front tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and push/pull and get some movement and a clunk.
I think 1969 was the first year of the locking steering column. You aren't hearing/feeling the steering wheel lock preventing the steering from turning are you?

--Nate