www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Old December 14th, 2017, 16:08   #166
luke.weiser

Fuel Economy: 47.5

Why not do it at Sunday river again? Who organized TDIfest last time it happened there?
luke.weiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 17:13   #167
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.weiser View Post
Why not do it at Sunday river again? Who organized TDIfest last time it happened there?
The same folks that have organized most recent Fests.....and are now pretty much Burnt out by it all.....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 15:23   #168
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.weiser View Post
Turnout the second time around was lower than the first time. It's too far away from most people to be a good candidate for a recurring event.

If you were interested in hosting a non-fest get-together local to you, I'm sure you'd get a decent turnout.

There's actually a local get-together happening near you on New Year's Day. Check the east coast forum for more information.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 08:31   #169
jaredaggie

I think Syracuse sounded awesome, happy to drive up from Houston and bring a buddy or two!
jaredaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:30   #170
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredaggie View Post
I think Syracuse sounded awesome, happy to drive up from Houston and bring a buddy or two!
A lot of places sound awesome and finding TDI owners willing to drive is usually not difficult. What is a lot more difficult is finding a group of volunteers willing to put in the time and effort to plan all of the details necessary to put on a TDIFest. It might be a little late to start planning for 2018 but feel free to start planning for a 2019 fest in Syracuse if you desire.

Have Fun!

Don
Old December 25th, 2017, 19:58   #171
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

I dont think its too late for 2018 if you do this in late july- eary September.
Never done anything like planning like this but whats involved? Find venue for what weekend event? How many cars do you count on attending, 500? I can tell you that if i come down, its going to be for either the full day or the night before or after the event. im not interested in driving 1,500 miles each way (MD) to spend a few days there. we all mostly have families so why does this have to be complicated.
Find Venue (big parking lot) let up come tents and get vendors and maybe a radio station to host and get a band out there maybe. what else besides a decided area that is close to lodging and shopping and food?
I have no idea but i would like to help out if i could. im from DC area in MD so i have no clue whats to do down there but swim in your new 20 mile long highways of water! lol jk that flood was not a joke but ill bring my wing dings!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:43   #172
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
I dont think its too late for 2018 if you do this in late july- early September.

Never done anything like planning like this but whats involved? Find venue for what weekend event? How many cars do you count on attending, 500? I can tell you that if i come down, its going to be for either the full day or the night before or after the event. im not interested in driving 1,500 miles each way (MD) to spend a few days there. we all mostly have families so why does this have to be complicated.

Find Venue (big parking lot) let up come tents and get vendors and maybe a radio station to host and get a band out there maybe. what else besides a decided area that is close to lodging and shopping and food?
At this point in time suitable hotels are likely already booked for Labor Day weekend 2018 hence the suggestion to start planning for 2019 instead. You must remember most hotels do not have banquet facilities which are in demand for other events (think weddings, reunions, etc.) so there is a limited pool of suitable hotels to choose from. Obviously the Motel 6 or Super 8 will not work as a Fest hotel - have to go upscale to likes of Marriott, Hilton, etc. which have banquet facilities.

A suitable hotel needs to include on-site banquet facilities as it is a custom to have a banquet as part of the TDI Fest experience. It is too much trouble to have everyone go from a hotel to a restaurant then go back to the hotel. Makes everything much easier/simpler if the hotel used provides the banquet hall and food.

There has never been 500 cars at a TDI Fest - if that were the case then it would be possible to hold a Fest every year as that implies strong support for same. I don't even know if there has been a Fest with 200 cars in attendance? You cannot compare the Fest with the Mopar Nationals, Bloomington Gold (Corvettes) or the many themed car shows at Carlisle, PA as the TDI fraternity while passionate are small in numbers compared to these other events. This is where your thinking may be flawed if you expect a TDI Fest to be the equal of these larger more professional car events which is not the case.

Some of us like to drive - I think nothing of covering 1,700+ miles (800 miles out, 800 miles back plus some local driving) in an extended weekend (Fri thru Mon) but I realize some people like yourself are not road warriors and wish to take a week to drive out, enjoy the event then take a week to drive back. That's nice if one has the time and money to do so but most of us can't afford to do that and still take other trips.

You're right, it's not complicated. The real issue is that nobody wants to step up to actually organize/run the Fest which has been the recurring theme for the last few years. Basically everyone has suggestions to hold the Fest at such and such place but are unwilling/unable to help plan/organize same. That is the hard reality of the current climate for having another TDI Fest.

If you are truly serious about organizing a TDI Fest I suggest you contact member VeeDubTDI here as he can point you in the right direction to get started.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:50   #173
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

FWIW:

We struck out coming to terms of facility use with the Flying L Ranch in Texas so that venue is off the radar. We had one more "suitable" location and have visited it, but they have a reserved booking over Labor Day 2018 and we would not be able to fit in. It's a relatively small location, but very nice.

Consequently, Mike Stewart and I are running out of gas and energy in trying to set up a Fest for 2018 and it is getting too late in the planning. If someone else has a "plan" for 2018, please go for it.
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 13:08   #174
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Sorry to hear it....I guess our Fests are coming to an End....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 15:26   #175
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Really sorry to hear this. I was really looking forward to a cross country trip for TDIFest then continuing on to visit friends on a loop through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming on the way back home...
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:30   #176
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
FWIW:
We struck out coming to terms of facility use with the Flying L Ranch in Texas so that venue is off the radar. We had one more "suitable" location and have visited it, but they have a reserved booking over Labor Day 2018 and we would not be able to fit in. It's a relatively small location, but very nice.
Consequently, Mike Stewart and I are running out of gas and energy in trying to set up a Fest for 2018 and it is getting too late in the planning. If someone else has a "plan" for 2018, please go for it.
Tony and Mike, thank you very much for your efforts. I appreciate the two of you committing countless hours and miles of travel in your preparation of a 2018 TDIFest bid. It's unfortunate that it isn't going to work out. I agree that it's getting pretty late to put something together at this point and that the discussion should be tabled for now.

Thank you again!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 05:17   #177
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Thank you for your efforts guys. I was looking forward going to the long star state.
Old December 31st, 2017, 14:44   #178
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
I was looking forward going to the long star state.
No, that is Alaska. The land of the mid-night sun (in summer), is also the land of the mid-day stars (this time of year). Texas, the other biggest state, is known as the lone star state.
Don't let a typo change your destination. Dallas, not Dulles.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 18:52   #179
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
No, that is Alaska. The land of the mid-night sun (in summer), is also the land of the mid-day stars (this time of year). Texas, the other biggest state, is known as the lone star state.
Don't let a typo change your destination. Dallas, not Dulles.

oops my bad
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:01   #180
sdubois

Fuel Economy: not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Tony and Mike, thank you very much for your efforts. I appreciate the two of you committing countless hours and miles of travel in your preparation of a 2018 TDIFest bid. It's unfortunate that it isn't going to work out. I agree that it's getting pretty late to put something together at this point and that the discussion should be tabled for now.
Thank you again!
Ill be starting work on trying a gtg thing labor day weekend, hold your horses tdifest as we know it may be dead but 2018 might not be
sdubois is offline   Reply With Quote