ALH TDI 1984 Toyota 4x4, Oh Yeah!

bms707

TDI
'84 yota 4x4 ALH TDI, '03 Jetta wagon(soon to be 6speed)
Been crazy busy with work lately, finally found some time to put the bottom end together

Got to measure the piston protrusion and the head and rest of the assembly parts will be heading my way!

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
back when I did my swap I considered using the VW sender with the toyota gauge ...I tested each side by side in hot water both hooked to an ohm meter what I found was that the scaling started off very similar but as the temp climbed the vw sender lagged behind the toyota one.... because of this I decided to go with the toyota sender threaded into the coolant outlet at the back of the head.... I was just concerned that the vw sender coupled to the toy gauge would give me a false sense of where the temp actually was.... my dos pesos ;)
I just came up with my solution. I drilled out an old VW sensor and screwed and epoxied a toyota sensor into it. Quick and easy.

bms707

TDI
ACME Kit is on its way from oregon (shouldn't take long at all to get to me).

Cylinder Head and the rest of the assembly parts should be on their way from Frank tomorrow

I can hear a turbo spooling far off in the distance... :D

bms707

TDI
Ordered an HD Trail-gear clutch with 1600lb pressure plate today, gonna have a lot of goodies arriving in the mail soon! :cool:

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
looks awesome so far man, cant wait to see it finished. i have an old 60's bug i want to do the same thing to. make a little rock crawler out of it. I've been told theres a company that makes a bell housing adapter that fits the ALH to the toyota tranny, not sure if thats a fact but dont doubt it either.

bms707

TDI
Thanks! Yes there is a company that makes an ALH to toyota tranny adapter, is that gold steel plate in the picture in my post above. They're called ACME adapters, you can find their website here.

Last edited:

bms707

TDI
I've made some progress, the engine is back together for the most part. Just have to finish cleaning the intake manifold.

Should have the motor in the truck within the next couple of days so i can start building the mounts.

bms707

TDI
Ok so the ALH is in its new home

I'm taking it down to a buddies shop tomorrow so we can weld up the motor mounts and frame plates. In other news, my sisters '96 4runner v6 5 speed decided to take a dump. Both heads are cracked pretty bad, the machine shop gave me the quote today for the head work. Turns out it may be more lucrative to do a tdi swap on it, so i may be in for a back-to-back swap lol.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I just came up with my solution. I drilled out an old VW sensor and screwed and epoxied a toyota sensor into it. Quick and easy.

Does it still clip into the spot okay? I'm thinking about doing this with an aftermarket gauge sensor, I'm just trying to figure out exactly how I should go about doing it. What kind of epoxy did you use?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Clipped in fine. It was a two part epoxy similar to the liquid JB Weld. The threads of the toyota sensor cut into plastic guts of the VW sensor. Even without the epoxy it was in there good, the epoxy solidified it and seals it from leaking

bms707

TDI
Since i was going back to the machine shop for my sisters 4runner, i decided to bring the composite VW coolant plug down too. I'm having them machine a piece of aluminum the same size, then I will drill and tap it for my sensor. Rockwell: is the sensor you pictured the one at the back of the head? If so, where is your ECU getting its coolant temp signal from?

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
My upper radiator hose has a sensor mount built into it, thats where I put the toyota one (see pic). I found a VW connector in my spares pile that fits on it.

Last edited:

bms707

TDI
Motor mounts are done, drive line is being lengthened. Getting so close!! I will update with pics in a couple days.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
great work!... you're gonna so dig your truck when it's finished...I drive mine almost every day and i don't give it a second thought as far as jump in and go but when i mash the pedal "oh yeah!" ;)

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
"great work!... you're gonna so dig your truck when it's finished...I drive mine almost every day and i don't give it a second thought as far as jump in and go but when i mash the pedal "oh yeah!" ;)"

That's it! Nothing more to say! You're gonna love it.

bms707

TDI
Thanks guys! i couldn't have done it without you! I've been working on all the little stuff lately, here's my airbox.

bms707

TDI
Ok guys, the truck is running great besides the intercooler pipe hitting the hood. My Tach isn't working :( I've heard of people using some sort of converter box. I know the signal wire from the ECU is the green w/brown stripe (not sure which pin), but I am not sure which type of converter box to get. FYI my truck was originally a carb, so my tach used to get its signal from the igntion coil (2ppr i believe). Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

bms707

TDI
Thanks guys! So far the truck is running great, got about 150 miles on it. The power is amazing, no clutch slipping or any other drive train complaints, all it needs is a bed because it rides like a tractor with no weight :/ The only minor issue is that the glow plugs won't run their cycle, and the light flashes. When i pulled the engine from the bug and removed the glowplug harness, the plastic insulator over every plug broke off. The top part of the harness also cracked later, so there is nothing really keeping the connectors firmly on the plugs. I did an ohm test on all the plugs and they were all fine (as they should be, since they're all new bosch plugs). The only code the ecu is throwing is Glow Plug Heater Circuit A, I've heard of people splicing the two wires together on the glow plug harness to get rid of this, any ideas?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
congratulations!!...flashing glow light could be from a brake pedal fault ... coolant glows will only set a dtc and won't trigger a cel ...save every bit of that old gp harness if you can ... it can make a very nice "hackup gp harness" if you take the time ;)

Last edited: