2006 Jetta TDI fuel filter replacement

gwasko

TDI
2006 Jetta
I recently changed my first TDI fuel filter. I consulted with both the postings on the internet and my Jetta factory service manual prior to starting the job. The task is straight forward and went smoothly until I started the engine. It ran fine for a few seconds and then stopped. I think it ran out of fuel. I cranked it over several times then decided to check the fuel canister to make sure it had fuel in it. It had refilled itself. After a few more cranks, the engine started and it has been fine ever since. I didn't notice anything in the literature that indicated that I needed to pre-fill or do any sort of fuel priming prior to starting the engine. I did follow the recommendation to remove the diesel fuel that was in the cansiter prior to installing the new filter. Did I miss a step along the line or is this a normal occurance?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
All 2004-2006 TDIs have a lift pump in the fuel tank that will push fuel to the filter. What happened is normal.

My own preference is to pre-fill the filter with Power Service or diesel.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
It is normal. I use my Pela oil extractor to suck fuel into the new filter to prime it after I hook the fuel feed line to it. You can also cycle the key a few times (just to on and wait a few seconds, repeat, repreat, repeat, to engage the electric fuel pump to fill the filter (the pump only runs a couple of seconds if the engine is not cranked, so you need to do this a few times.).

--Nate

gwasko

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thank you very much for your quick replies. Do you know if the lift pump in the fuel tank is also energized by opening the driver door like my 2000 VW gas Beetle? The reason I'm asking is because my Jetta is starting to show the same door switch problem that I fixed in my Beetle and I can hear the Beetle's electric fuel pump start when I open the door.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
No, it is not and I highly suspect that is an urban leagend about the gasser VW Beetle's fuel pump being energized by opening the door.

--Nate