2005-6 F350 Manual vs. Auto... Real world MPG?

boyelectric

Veteran Member
Greetings,

My father is looking to get a new F350, and the dealers keep telling him that the newer 5sp auto tranny and the 6sp manual tranny get about the same MPG. Can anyone with a 2005 or 2006 F350 give me some "real world" stats?

Tanks!

boyelectric

Veteran Member
No one with experience?

So, should I assume that no one here has any experiences with these? I posted to Fred's because the other diesel sites I have visited seen to be filled with mush more opinion than knowledge.

windnsea00

Veteran Member
Techincally the 6-spd should get a bit better fuel economy due to no torque convertor and less drivetrain power loss. The dealers are probably trying to push the autos off the lot since most of them come that way. I would be more worried about the 6.0 engine as it has been plagued with TONS of problems/recalls. Even Ford has recgonized that the engine is not reliable, that's why there is a new one already coming out within a year. I would really stay clear of that engine and look into a Dodge Cummins or Chevy/GMC Duramax.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Actually the biggest factor I think with milage is rear-end gearing. I'd say the difference between auto and manual is about 2mpg with these trucks (I have a 97).

I have 3.55 gears and get at or a little over 20mpg running empty on the highway. 4.10 gears I've heard get around 16-18mpg on the highway empty because the engine is that much higher rpm.

The gearing is going to depend on if you do a lot of heavy towing...if so then 4.10s for sure.

I think that Ford has worked out the bugs for the 6.0 by now, although I would buy a used 7.3 over a 6.0 anyday. It's a shame to because the 6.0 is a great engine (from Inter.) - just that Ford got it's hands on it and fouled it up.

vwgtivw

TDI
jetta,2001,silver
Hi, Boyeletric
Most if not all of 6.0 problems are fixed (03-04 were the bad years).I would go with the manual if you are doing over the road hauling and the auto if you going to be using it like a normal truck (camper towing, hauling and everyday driving).There is only a couple MPG differance between the two. I would choose 6.0 Auto and 4.10 LSD 2WD, but thats me. And if you a worried about life span the manuals have more clutch problems in city driving then the autos.
The fleet that I work for has 6.0 autos and we have no problems with them (nice beefy ZF trans). And have him look at www.bankspower.com for up grades they are the only people I trust with my 99 power stroke(7 years and know problems). They make the best power kits. I've put a ton of there kits in my friends trucks and have had zero problems and increased fuel mileage and power and there tech department guys are the best.In my 99 I gained 5 mpg.

boyelectric

Veteran Member
Thanks! You folks rule. I checked out thedieselstop.com, and there does appear to be a lot of controversy about the engine, but then there might also have been about the 7.3. It also appears that the 2007 Super Duty may get a brand new 6.4 Hmmmm.... And the new ULSD?