Boston GTG Sun 10/12/14 @ VW Day - Larz Auto Museum

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
October 11 and 12 are both VW-themed lawn events at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Boston/Brookline. Taking BeetleGone's lead, it might be a nice location and event for some TDI activity.

Although it is called Transporter Day, the range of participants expands to all VWs. There is an admission charge to the lawn event which includes admission to the museum. Also, there is a charge to participate in the lawn event. There is no charge to use the park at the top of the hill which can be accessed using the museum driveway, or from the other side using Newton Street to Avon Street. Also, there are no cooking facilities. I am not sure if you can bring portable grills or not... it may be more of a picnic atmosphere.

I think we should plan for Sunday, October 12. The show is 9:30 - 3:30, so we can plan to gather and head to the show around 10? I have a family membership, so I am happy to bring three brothers/sisters ;) with me.

Links to both lawn events:

http://larzanderson.org/events/lawn-...ist/waterbahn/

http://larzanderson.org/events/lawn-...sporterfest14/

I may also take a look on Saturday, if anyone plans on going. Might be a little Vortexy.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
There are built in BBQ's on the far side (away from the museum) . . .

I have no idea how to go about using them, reserving them etc . . .but its a nice set up.

I'm in clearly . .

Brian

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.brooklinema.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5375

Scroll to the bottom of this PDF. I am thinking we could easily rent the shelter. It's really nice, and has a ton of built in BBQ

So, are any of "us" Brookline residents??? Because its much cheaper.

Or maybe we could get some corporate sponsorship ( cough, cough, idparts, cough)
:)

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Id be glad to pitch in some sponsorship to give back to the community. I can't think of any Brookline residents off hand, but just renting barbecue space isn't that expensive.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Thanks, Brian! Thanks Keith! I can see Brookline from my house, does that count?

I had a fleeting thought of asking Brookline Audi to pitch in and bring an A6 or A7 TDI for us to appreciate! Then I had flashbacks of talking to them as Brookline VW about participation in the Boston Fest. :rolleyes:

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
A little BBQ stand is only $40.

If we want the pavilion it's $500!!! ($300) for residents.

Knowing this crowd, I would think we could use the pavilion. But it's a little pricy.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'm a maybe. It depends on the weather and it's a bit far out for that prognosis.

coastie743

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI sport, 2014 Passat TDI SE Manual
I may be able to make the trip down from Maine, all depends on the work schedule

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
OK, so without any credible interest, the plan will be that we can park/hang/whatever at the top of the hill in the main parking lot. There will be no financial commitment in terms of contracting with Brookline for a grill site but thank you, Keith, for offering. The Museum event has a food truck if people need hot food.

It would be nice to see some TDIClub representation at this event...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
are guys going to have a NEDD? I need a tdi, I really miss having one. I'm thinking of making the trip up.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Lawn events this weekend at Larz Anderson:

Saturday 9/27: Italian Lite
Sunday 9/28: Mercedes Day

The weather is predicted to be gorgeous. Anybody going?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
I would but I'm in Nova Scotia!

Land of the mk4 TDI !!! I've seen like 10 so far. Been here one day.

Mercedes day is great. There are some fantastic older MBs that come out for it.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
I planned to walk to Fenway today, but got outvoted. The least I can do is walk over to Larz tomorrow--especially if the weather is as spectacular as it was today! Have a blast in NS! I hear that good navi is critical! But with all the TDIs, the natives sound friendly! See you in a couple weeks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeetleGo

TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'll be there too. Lars is always good!

Right now I'm in Puno (Lake Titicaca), Peru. They've got all kinds of diesels here. Mostly Mercedes, Pugeot, Citroen, Renault, Fiat, Hyundai, and Kia passenger vans though. There are VW Gols here, but they're all 1.4 gassers....

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
I checked out the picnic area this past weekend. If we park/gather at the top of the hill in one of the two lots, it's a bit of a walk down to the tables and a beautiful setting.

Given the so-so commitment (thanks to all who've posted!), I think we should stick with the plan that people bring snack-type food and if anyone wants something grilled, there is a caterer at the lawn event.

I've sent my request to the Ho5Gs gods that the weather cooperate.:cool:

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
Mark!

I hope you are enjoying Peru. I have never been. But my wife has been there a few times. She was just in Lima a few weeks ago on business.

We have friends in Lima, should you need a local. Email me.

See you in a few weeks.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Little bump. Remember, there are VW-themed events on *both* Saturday and Sunday. The forecast for Sunday looks great (Ho5G weather :cool:)!

I hope to see some familiar TDI faces there!

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Yes! I'll plan to get there by 9:30, so I'll park my Windsor Blue Mk3 in the lot at the top of the hill (the lot with the beautiful view of Boston). You can access the park using the museum driveway--tell them you are going to the park, or from the other side using Newton Street to Avon Street. I can get three additional people into the lawn event/museum with my membership.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm going to try and get there mid-morning. Parker, too, if he feels like it. Right now he's tired

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
It was great seeing everybody. To bad there weren't any newbies. There was some serious metal there. I'm rather the classic type. The 50's 60's bus and bug.