The 1985- 1992+ (+CAN) 1.6/1.9 IDI hydro-head FAQ, and not so FAQ thread

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
For all the IDI guys, when something comes up you want to know...

ask here...

If you don't want it stinking up your personal build thread...
ask here...

If you don't want anyone to know you had a *** DOH moment,
ask it here...

For the 1.6 IDI, 1.6 TD idi, the 1.9 TD idi, and all others of similar vintage and setup...

Audis for example..

Last edited:

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
INDEX post..

please be patient...when it shows up later down the road..
I'll format it into here.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
LINKS to off site info page...

This page will link to
1. places to buy stuff cheap
2. builds someone else did(permissable only)
3. general IDI info

4. just whatever we wanna stinkin link to..

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
Mods and Admin:

Please be patient here.

I am merely trying to build an info base for us, 'less technical' siblings of the TDI guys...

And keep my car build thread free from clutter...while accumulating helpful info for the other IDI guys..and gals..

This thread will slowly grow, and probably bring some help to some other pre TDI'ers..
it's not merely a waste of post space...

I'm just starting something new....

Mods:
If you want to PM me, i'll send you a link to another thread i started in a similar format, that has turned out nicely.

Thank you for allowing me to be here.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
I'll go first

Here is my first question for the gang.:cool:

How do you tell a TD block from a regular D block?

There is one here locally, that would be a great start to my MkII WeirWolf build....:cool:

Is there a stamping or something in particular?

Where would it be on the block?

What would it be?

Also, what is the CE1 vs. CE2? does it make a difference on TD blocks?
I figured it would on the cylinder heads, probably sensor layout or something?

I guess all i should really need to know, to start, is whether its a mechanical block or a hydro block...

how could i tell that?

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
OK, so far:

crickets:(

Anyways, here's the next issue...

How many points are there to activate the glow plugs?

I haven't had working GPs since 'the Ohio', and i'm finally trying to track down all the gremlins.
I've nailed a few, but i still don't have working GPs.

I replaced the 'brown' cylinder head sensor with a 'blue' one. Brown one was obviously broken.

I checked both 'water temp' and 'glow plug' temp sensors on the water hose running into the front of the cylinder head. Both worked.

The GP fuse looked good.

Now what?:eek:

I don't have a GP relay spare....but according to the 'Bentley' i need to remove the wire from the 'bus bar'?

Or should i check the sockets for the relay first? 83, 85, 87 etc...?

I'm absolutely lost on EVERYTHING electrical. Totally. Completely.

Give me something heavy to lift, i'm your guy. Need something off a tiptop shelf, i'm the man.:cool:

Need small hands to get into a spot, or need electrical figuring out?:( Well, you're screwed:eek: if you only have me to help...

What should i start with? and how?

I need the GPs....although i've been doing without them for almost the entire time i've owned the car...

It's been 'finicky' to start this week as temps hit into the high 30s, and my battery has aged another year...
turning the starter over and over puts a drain on it, that you can hear it puking out, before the cold beyatch lights for me...barely....

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
You must have warm weather as I need the glow plugs almost everytime the engine isn't warm. Otherwise it just smokes white. First question would be do you have power to the glow plugs (run a volt gauge or some kind of a tester to check that). If no then check your fuzable like if it is burned out (burned one once, it is attached to the fire wall and you might have a plastic cap over it that you need to pop off to check). The relays are about $45. There is two types of glow plugs. There is a fast glow and slow glow. You need to keep the relays and glow plugs the same (slow with slow or fast with fast). It doesn't matter if you mix brands, you just can mix slow and fast. The only way to tell is by part number. You first need to check if anything is getting power though. If you have power to the bus bar then you need to take the bar off and you can then test each glow plug with and ohm meter if the glow plug works. I can explain in more detail any of this if needed. You could also take the plugs out and test them by putting them on a 12 v supply to see if they get hot (you have to ground the threads like a spark plug). It would also save you time in the future to take the bus bar off and hook wires to each one to find a bad plug easier as those little nuts are hard to take on and off. As far as the block question. On the back of the block it will say 1.6 D or 1.6 TD or 1.9 D or 1.9 TD where the exhaust manifold goes. Hope that helps. I have worked more on these older ones then the new ones so I should be able to help with most of the questions. The wires on the older ones are very simple. You just need to find if the wire has power and if not where the power stops. There is few wires on the machine so tracking them down is easy. Note that wires may corrode inside the plastic coating so you may have to bypass some original wires. Also depending on the year the glow plug sensor and water temp sensor were different in some and same on others. I burned mine out as I had the wrong ones hooked up. I know have an LED washer sprayer that lights up when the glow plugs are on as the one on the dash doesn't work all the time.

dantheman6012

TDI
91 Jetta Ecodiesel
Maybe this will be useful to those of us with incessant alternator troubles.

1985 - 1992 Alternator Belt Problems

#1- Has to do with the adjustable idler pulley.
If you have a problem with belt shredding or a
tendency to throw the belt, the bearing in the
adjustable idler pulley may be worn out!

#2-Misalignment of the alternator itself. The
alternator may have to (arrow in the above drawing)
have the mount "shaved" or ground down, to move the
alternator to the Left. After removing enough material
on the left (as you look down) you then must use a spacer
or washers on the Right side to allow the alternator to
again fit tightly. This operation will true the alternator
pulley and allow the belt to line up.

Either or both of the above may be needed to correct on going
alternator belt problems.
JaE
01/16/99
----------

Also, on your glow-plug demons here is some useful info.

-http://www.vwdieselparts.com/main.htm
Apparently there is a shop in southern Ohio that specializes in the 1.6 diesel and has some pretty good info on their web site.
They also sell the alt-belt tensioner pulley for a LOT cheaper than I've been seeing elsewhere.

In response to your question about telling the hydro block from the mechanical, this might help.

Last edited:

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
Thanks Dantheman! That is good stuff!

I've 'fixed' my alternator belt issue.
I gave up on the stock setup.

So far, i've gotten 3000 miles on the new 'serpentine style' setup, as opposed to the old planetary OEM arrangement.

I can run headlamps on bright , 55w Pella fogs, the AC Max setting with the radio jamming in the rain now, and still cranks up in the morning!
Yeeeeeesssss!!

I also fixed the 'when driving in the rain(wet roads), the alt belt lights up' symptom...

The glow plug i've almost traced back to having a bad LED in the dash.
So the GPs work, but the light doesn't?
:confused:
I'm not totally positive on that one yet.

Thanks so much for the info!

dantheman6012

TDI
91 Jetta Ecodiesel
Can you hear them click at the end of their cycle (about 12 seconds after the key is turned)? Also you could simply take one out to see if it is getting hot.

sin bar

TDI
lowly idi mk2
if you have an early american (westy) golf diesel, there is an unmarked "fusible link" on the back of the fuse panel for the glow plugs that can cause an intermittent starting issue. total nuisance!

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
How often should i clean my ECO intake?(mileage interval)?
I've put 30k on her in 2 years, and i'm starting to wonder just how clogged it is....

I've heard the best way is to have a clean one ready, and just swap them out, then clean the old one.
Having an ECO'92, it's hardly an option, as i won't find a spare.

Is there a better (performance) manifold that will fit:

1. my turbo
2. in the space with my K14
3. similar to PD110, PD130, or PD150 style, but will fit the ECO?

a) How long should it take?
b) I'm assuming i'll need new manifold gaskets...?
c) Are there any pointers, or links to a how-to writeup out there anywhere?

dantheman6012

TDI
91 Jetta Ecodiesel
The best would be to fab an intake out of some mandrel bent pipe, and slap an aftermarket air filter on it IMO. As far as the manifold goes, good luck. Try giving techtonics a call maybe??? Pretty knowledgeable helpful people who like performance. I would just clean it and polish it myself.