Trusted TDI mechanic local to KC?

squebel

Veteran Member
Found an oil leak from the intercooler yesterday on my 04 PD @ 65K. Have lost .5l in 5k miles, but it could potentially be from babying the car lately and not driving like I normaly would. (dumb idea.) Anyhow, I need to tear the ic apart and see just how much oil is in there. If there's a lot I'll probably need to contact some guru that I can trust to look at the turbo seals. Any suggestions? Anyone local to KC? Checked the trusted mechanics list. Glen is about the closest guy but he's still 2 hours out. Thanks!

Repster

TDI
2005 Passat wagon TDI
RE:Trusted TDI mechanic

I'm sort of in the same boat, I have an 05 PD TDI Passat wagon, and need the timing belt done.
The best recommendations I could get on this forum was Glen Temple in Sedalia, and Vee Village in KC. There is also supposed to be a good one in St Louis, which is not so bad for me, since I go there once in a while for work. I have had work done at Baron, but they are pricey, and had a hard time diagnosing a seemingly simple problem at one point. Just thought I'd respond with what I knew.
repster.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
squebel said:
Glen is about the closest guy but he's still 2 hours out. Thanks!
Give him a call, anyway.

Alvis

TDI
'01 Jetta
Repster or Squebel, I was wondering if you had Glen look at your cars...I'm in need of a TB change and other stuff and it would be worth the drive for competent work.
I was just going to price out the 3 VW dealers in KC to see how they compare, but wanted to know how it went with Glen.

Thanks.

squebel

Veteran Member
I have not had Glen work on my car, but I've met him and talked with him at one of the G2G's we had last year. He's been working on VW's for years, and many people trust his work. I still have about 30K until my TB needs changed, but I plan on taking it out to him when it does.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Glen is top notch with TDIs. He has worked on both of our cars and I am completely satisfied. Ask him where to get a good tenderloin and malt in Sedalia. Also, visit the MKT railroad depot/museum while there.

He is worth the drive!

Bill

KansasTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Black Jetta Sedan, 5M SOLD NEW 2003 VW Beetle TDI 5M 95000 miles
It only takes 1.5 hours to get to Glen's shop from my house in Overland Park - door to door. Of course that not going thru the Granview triangle during rush hour. He just finished an IP replacement on my car and saved me some cash. He is well worth the drive.

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
I agree that Glen is awesome when it comes to TDIs.

I would also offer VeeVillage as a possible choice. I have heard good and bad about them, but I have always had good work done by them. I actually bought my TDI from them! They are at 14th and OAK, downtown.

Perhaps if there three of you that need work done if you all paid fr a hotel room, did some of the work yourselves, he may consider coming out for a weekend.

Just my 2/100th of a dollar,
Mikey

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
Need TB done

I also need TB replaced by this summer (I am at 75K and will be at 80k) in next 3 months. Also need fluid replacement in the DSG at that point.

Like Mike is suggesting, we can get Glen to come to KC for a weekend, and get all the work done.

BTW, I live in Wichita so Glen's place would be a 4 hours drive for me and I wouldn't mind driving to KC.

Suparag

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Check the guys in Oklahoma City (and maybe Tulsa). Possibly about the same distance to KC, but definitely closer than Glen Temple's place in Missouri.

Alvis

TDI
'01 Jetta
Back from Glen's

I took my car to Glen's two weeks ago. My wife followed me in the van with kids and bikes and we rode on the Katy Trail for a couple of hours just to make a day of it.
I didn't want to do that when I went to pick the car up, so I found a ticket on the 7:30 am Amtrak from Union Station and Glen came and picked me up at the Sedalia station. The ticket was only $14 (cheaper than gas in the van!) and I didn't tie up the family for an entire day.
Glen's work was top-notch. He certainly knows his TDIs and is definitely fair with his prices, especially considering the products he uses. One dealership in the KC area quoted me $300 more to do just the TB (not the 100K mile belt, either) than I paid for everything Glen did. He did a little brake work, EGR valve clean-up, installed my Frost Heater (I hope to be moving to Alaska soon) and used better parts, etc.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I highly recommend now as well.:eek:

Last edited: