Sad but true.

Brian_Spilsbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA, 2004 JETTA
After 16 yrs of TDI ownership, I have sold my last Jetta (2004 5spd) .
I learned a lot here and made a few good friends. Thanks for helping me keep my cars on the road and healthy.
The RAV4 group isnt nearly as nerdy as this one! I bet I dont fit in for long.

Cheers.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Good luck! They are getting a bit old, I just took another one past 500,000 kms... Will have to figure out a replacement some day.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I think we have to just accept there will be no more new TDI's here and the active membership of this site will slowly decline in the coming years. Unfortunately FB seems to have killed most of the other specialty forums I belong too. Try search FB for good info....good luck!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I think people started working closer to home and the advantage of a diesel isn't there anymore so they got something that is less of a PITA in the winter.

Brian_Spilsbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA, 2004 JETTA
I load my car up with WAY too much dive gear and drive 2000km each way to Florida and back every 6 weeks. At400k on the clock, I am playing Russian roulette with a major breakdown...in the land where they don't know **** about TDI's.
Time to get something newer.
I looked at newer TDI's but they didnt look as good as what I was getting out of (for my needs)
I almost bought a Tiguan. Glad I dodged that bullet....
The RAV4 is made in Woodstock, so there is that.

The TDI is still going strong. My nephew is looking after it like it is gold.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I left TDI ownership for a little while and have now come back with a 15 Passat. It's remarkable how far they've come - similar economy, but much more power and comfort. There isn't really anything else on the market that compares.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
VW Canada is offering 0% financing this month on all CPO TDI vehicles.

That means you can get a 2014 or 2015 TDI with dirt cheap financing right now.

Recently replaced my wife's MK5 Jetta with a 2015 Passat... she loves it!

I'm actively shopping for a 2014 or 2015 GSW at the moment.... my motivation level is not at 100% because part of me doesn't want to give up my 2004 TDI Sport.

(Note: all vehicles mentioned above have Malone tunes applied!)

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Rav is a great choice Brian. Same reason I gave up, the chance of a breakdown on a long trip was daunting. Loving my Subaru.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
How is the Tiguan a bullet? I am eyeing one...
Depending on the model year, they were known for eating ignition coils, horrible carbon deposits and burning oil... Can't remember the exact reasons but this was a very common issue among Gen 1/2 direct injection 2.0T engine, so it wasn't a problem with the Tiguan, rather all the VAG cars that have that specific engine. New Tiguans use a new Gen 3 2.0T which is supposed to be much better

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Rav is a great choice Brian. Same reason I gave up, the chance of a breakdown on a long trip was daunting. Loving my Subaru.

Nice to see that you're still around and keeping an eye on things here Craig !:D

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Carbon deposits and build up are par for the course with direct injection. The dry intake system doesn't wash away the EGR crap with fuel like older cars. I don't believe VW is the only one with this issue....

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Carbon deposits and build up are par for the course with direct injection. The dry intake system doesn't wash away the EGR crap with fuel like older cars. I don't believe VW is the only one with this issue....

True, part of the reason why cars in Europe have had both port and direct injection for a while now and it appears the same is happening in North America...

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
I just lurk here occasionally for old times sake.

Still have my 2014 Touareg tdi, just had it neutered last week. 165,000kms and counting will be keeping it to the bitter end.

Had to buy a new 3/4 ton truck last fall for the farm between driving it and the Touareg I was missing having a small car. Took the buyback on the 2010 golf I had.

So just bought a 2016 BMW 328d. Not quite the rocket the 335d was but still not bad for a 4cyl. Very good fuel economy, had low mileage, they threw in a stupid warranty, bumper to bumper basically until May 2024 unlimited mileage and sold it dirt cheap since they’re harder to move now that BMW is going away from diesels.

It’s a great little car so far. Handles way better than I would’ve thought, it’s very pointable and awd is the icing on the cake.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I just lurk here occasionally for old times sake.
Still have my 2014 Touareg tdi, just had it neutered last week. 165,000kms and counting will be keeping it to the bitter end.
Had to buy a new 3/4 ton truck last fall for the farm between driving it and the Touareg I was missing having a small car. Took the buyback on the 2010 golf I had.
So just bought a 2016 BMW 328d. Not quite the rocket the 335d was but still not bad for a 4cyl. Very good fuel economy, had low mileage, they threw in a stupid warranty, bumper to bumper basically until May 2024 unlimited mileage and sold it dirt cheap since they’re harder to move now that BMW is going away from diesels.
It’s a great little car so far. Handles way better than I would’ve thought, it’s very pointable and awd is the icing on the cake.
Would be curious to know what they let it go for.. My buddy just picked up a 2014 Jetta trendline+ 6 speed manual with 55k for 13000. The car had a bunch of work done to it so they could sell it CPO... I was impressed with the price and still am because tdis have seem to drop like a rock in price recently... Seems like a good time to snap one up if anyone is looking

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The gap between TDI and gasoline engine fuel efficiency is getting narrower every year. That and the VW scandal turned a lot of average car buyers away from VW TDIs. Also, the premium they need to pay to get the diesel engine is not worth it unless you are keeping the car forever.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Would be curious to know what they let it go for.. My buddy just picked up a 2014 Jetta trendline+ 6 speed manual with 55k for 13000. The car had a bunch of work done to it so they could sell it CPO... I was impressed with the price and still am because tdis have seem to drop like a rock in price recently... Seems like a good time to snap one up if anyone is looking
Wow that's a good price. Which dealer did he buy it from? Is that the all-in price or plus HST?

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I think we have to just accept there will be no more new TDI's here and the active membership of this site will slowly decline in the coming years.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, the Volvo (VW inline 6) diesel online community is still awesome, if very small- and they stopped selling well over 30 years ago in the USA!

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Wow that's a good price. Which dealer did he buy it from? Is that the all-in price or plus HST?
Leavens VW and it was 13000 plus HST, but like I said the car had lots of work done to it, around 3000 bucks worth... mind you these are dealer prices so that 3000 is more like 1500-2000 but still. Get em while they're cheap(ish)

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I still lurk here.

Sis now drives my '01 TDI golf. Mid 500kms on the clock now. Still runs strong. Have the Jetta wagon up for sale this week. Replaced it with a x5 35d and deleted everything from it. Summer daily has become the Porsche.

Still get together very often with some old school folk that use to frequent this forum. We hit pubs, car shows, bbq's, and vacation together. Met some great people here over the years.

Later,
Pete

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
The gap between TDI and gasoline engine fuel efficiency is getting narrower every year. That and the VW scandal turned a lot of average car buyers away from VW TDIs. Also, the premium they need to pay to get the diesel engine is not worth it unless you are keeping the car forever.

I think what you say does sum it up for a lot of people.

Fuel economy of my GTI is closer.

Power delivery style is much closer (and overall power is greater).

Thanks to the DG scandal the looks that I get from strangers and even some of the neighbours during those deep freeze cold starts is.... less than kind. It's gotten better, but for a while, you really did have to justify your car to others.

The diesel premium is definitely not something that new car buyers want to pay anymore for their eco car with a tainted image... new car buyers have other options for their eco cars now.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
At my age I think my 2015 Passat TDI will either die or I will whichever comes first.
There is just no way one of those eco boxes can compare to the Passat in size, creature comfort and carrying capacity and still offer the fuel economy.

I drive almost 5,000 km every fall into Mexico and back in the spring. Plus every summer I do extended drives within Canada or to the USA. I do notice the difference with my Passat is compared to my former Jetta. I can actually stretch my legs out fully which makes for a more relaxing drive. Could not ever do that in the Jetta, even trying to find a place for both feet on the firewall was impossible.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
At my age I think my 2015 Passat TDI will either die or I will whichever comes first.
There is just no way one of those eco boxes can compare to the Passat in size, creature comfort and carrying capacity and still offer the fuel economy.

I drive almost 5,000 km every fall into Mexico and back in the spring. Plus every summer I do extended drives within Canada or to the USA. I do notice the difference with my Passat is compared to my former Jetta. I can actually stretch my legs out fully which makes for a more relaxing drive. Could not ever do that in the Jetta, even trying to find a place for both feet on the firewall was impossible.
Rudy - how's your Passat fuel economy compared to your ex-MK4 - better/around same/worse?