Jetta Hybrid LED tail lights on TDI

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta sedan Black on Black 6M, VCDS on hand
Has anyone done this ? I ordered oem Xenon headlights but was wondering if anyone put led tails on a TDI? I know you need adapters but will they work properly ?
I didint find any info on it.
Can anyone help me out ?

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Seems like they might be plug and play with adapter harness. I guess ill be a test subject lol. Ill see what happens.

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
Mine are being installed and coded tomorrow. I'll check in after the install.

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I was wondering about coding. One of the bits has to be changed manually since there is nothing in long coding helper . Please lmk what had to be changed.
Btw. I was looking on the same tail lights

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I found some info but its not 100%. Byte 18 in module 09 central electronics has to be modyfied to 55 or 53, few to 20 to make it work. Please post once you have it working.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The "normal" jetta rear lights have a brake / parking light, and turn signal. The Hybrid LEDs have a combination brake / park / turn signal. But because they are sold on cars here you can probably recode the BCM to make them work properly -

but I don't know if the BCM support this completely as the brake lights on the TDI sedan do not run through the BCM.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The "normal" jetta rear lights have a brake / parking light, and turn signal. The Hybrid LEDs have a combination brake / park / turn signal. But because they are sold on cars here you can probably recode the BCM to make them work properly -

but I don't know if the BCM support this completely as the brake lights on the TDI sedan do not run through the BCM.

-J
The plot thickens...

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
I found some info but its not 100%. Byte 18 in module 09 central electronics has to be modyfied to 55 or 53, few to 20 to make it work. Please post once you have it working.
On my car (13 TDI) byte 18 is locked. Therefore, the brake lights stay on whenever the headlights are turned on. With the headlights off, the leds work great. My tech is working with Ross Tech for a solution. I can't drive the car at night until a solution is found.:confused:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
On my car (13 TDI) byte 18 is locked. Therefore, the brake lights stay on whenever the headlights are turned on. With the headlights off, the leds work great. My tech is working with Ross Tech for a solution. I can't drive the car at night until a solution is found.:confused:
Youll just look like one of "those guys" who drives with their left foot on the brake. :mad:

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
I talked with my VAG-COM tech and we agreed that we should put the stock taillights back in. :mad: Supposedly, these lights will only work properly on GLI models. :confused:

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
did you actually try to edit the main screen not long coding helper? there is a few ways to do it like copy and paste then hit accept… so you have to manually edit the code then paste it back .

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
remember it starts from bit 0, not 1 so bit 18 in reality is a 19th pair of numbers.

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
did you actually try to edit the main screen not long coding helper? there is a few ways to do it like copy and paste then hit accept… so you have to manually edit the code then paste it back .
My tech tried everything but Byte 18 is locked. FWIW, he opened his indy VW/Audi shop after working as a certified Audi tech at an Audi dealership. He is a VAG-COM expert and even he can't code them to work. He's consulted the Ross-Tech people and even they have no solution.

Last edited:

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
they have 2 different sets
5C6945208A
5C6945207A
5C6945308A
5C6945307A
and
5C6945208A
5C6945207A
5C6945308
5C6945307
i wonder whats the different between them ?
which ones did you get garrington?

garrington

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (for sale), 2011 Audi A3 TDI
5C6945208A
5C6945207A
5C6945308
5C6945307

I think the other ones are for right hand drive cars.

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
My tech tried everything but Byte 18 is locked. FWIW, he opened his indy VW/Audi shop after working as a certified Audi tech at an Audi dealership. He is a VAG-COM expert and even he can't code them to work. He's consulted the Ross-Tech people and even they have no solution.
There's no way to make these lights work properly on non-GLI's, so I returned them for a refund. If you don't have a GLI, don't bother!

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vi...ting/TailLights/5C6-998-208/5C6998208/992/100

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I wouldn't say there's NO way... If you look at the thread I linked on the first page, he used a Curt controller intended for trailer use, and they work fine.

garrington

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (for sale), 2011 Audi A3 TDI
There is a way, as you can see I have them on. It's just a matter of having the adapters for plug and play. The adapters are expensive, but I've seen several non-GLI or Hybrids with them.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I wouldn't say there's NO way... If you look at the thread I linked on the first page, he used a Curt controller intended for trailer use, and they work fine.

I'm not sure the process is identical to what Jason and I did on the Passat, but it should be similar. If you aren't good with custom wiring, you probably don't want to attempt this project unless you buy a plug and play kit.

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
I'm not sure the process is identical to what Jason and I did on the Passat, but it should be similar. If you aren't good with custom wiring, you probably don't want to attempt this project unless you buy a plug and play kit.
Neither my tech nor I was willing to start hacking into the factory wire set up as the car is still under warranty. I'll wait until Audi brings over an A4 TDI or maybe I'll buy a GTD next year.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can do it without "hacking" but it requires building your own harness adapters. Our Passat's original wiring is 100% intact - no changes to the stock harness whatsoever.

I was looking at a new Jetta on the road tonight, and I don't think that it is at all similar to the Passat's rear lighting. The Curt controller is required on the Passat because the body control module duty cycles single-filament lamps in order to create the different lighting functions. The Jetta TDI, on the other hand, controls its lights very differently... the brake lighting doesn't even go through the BCM at all... I'm not sure if the brake/park lights are single or dual filament.

Whatever it is, you can absolutely make the hybrid lights work if you have decent wiring skills and don't mind buying some factory repair wires and building your own adapter harnesses. It won't be cheap, but it will probably be less expensive than the kits. If you don't have the required wiring skills and tools, then an adapter kit is probably the best way to go and will save you a significant amount of time.

ahfunaki

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
I have the hybrid LEDs on my TDI, but I got mine from carsystem.pl
It includes the adapters for amber turn signals and it was plug and play.
http://www.carsystems.pl/golf-jetta-led-taillights-4x-adapters,id604.html
The only disappointing part was that they don't have the rear fog light.
Do you know what kind of coding was done to make these work on your TDI? I have a 2013 TDI with the same lights and adapters ( unsure of model numbers ) and I need to figure out how to code them.

When I installed them and turn the headlights on all of the brake lights come on automatically. Everything else is fine though.

kcompton

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi, 2006 Jetta TDi Pkg 1.
I purchased the adapters for my 2015 SEL TDI Jetta, now I just need to find the OEM LED tail lights for the 2015.