Shudder when coming from stop, under a load

k98shooter

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Good evening, my 2014 JSW has been gradually developing a shudder coming from either axles or transmission. It has become bad enough that I decided it is time to fix it. This happens when the car is at stop and I apply gas gently. It is particularly bad when the car is under load, e.g. when at red light on incline and I am applying gas gently when the light switches to green.. Besides the shudder, there is a noise coming under the front end which sounds like broom handle hitting ceiling fan blades. This all goes away as RPM is increased. If I switch to manual mode and start 1st gear with little more gas, none of this happens. 129K miles, no MIL on dash. I am trying to pinpoint the problem, your input, as always much appreciated.
P.S. There is very mild chatter coming from engine when running idle. I suspect this is flywheel. Not sure if the shudder is related to flywheel, though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I suppose it could be the DMF, that would be my best guess based on your description. That can cause both a noise and a shudder on clutch engagement on take off.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
My 2011 did the same thing a few months after I had a tune applied to it. Under 1900 RPM, the car would shudder when high throttle was applied. It was the dual-mass flywheel. As for the chatter, I would suppose that's just the way the diesel engine sounds.

Interestingly, my 2015 has done it from day one.

I'm not sure what solutions exist out there for automatics, but I know that Southbend has a single-mass flywheel for your engine with the manual.

Kite_rider

TDI
2010 JSW
I have the manual transmission and get the same shudder (actually seems more like a stutter, but what is difference?), anyway only happens with very slight acceleration at low rpm. Even then, it's only on occasion and almost impossible to predict when it will happen again. Since it's only an occasional issue, I wouldn't expect the DMF to be the issue here, right?

Never had a CEL once on this car! At about 100K miles now.

Last edited: