SHOULD I BUY THIS CAR?

Arkitec

TDI
05' Silver Golf
Fellas...

After much deliberation I've decided to get a manual GOLF TDi. Now the only question is new or used. I've found the following '02 Golf TDi in San Diego.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rd...cardist=294#top

Apparently the car is in really good shape, relatively low miles (25k), with leather seats. The seller is asking 18k for it. High compared to Kelly BB value-- which is only showing the car worth about $14,455... hmmm.

I'm finding new car prices around $20,000 plus tax, title & license... adding up to about $22,000(?)

What do you guys think?

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kb...&&&

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
You don't say your location, but are you aware that California and west coast prices for Tdi's generally run quite inflated over midwest and east/coast prices? It's due to the impossibility of buying new Tdi's in CA--that adds a premium.

For comparison, I bought '02 Jetta Tdi with same options as this one+ winter package with VW certified used car warranty (everything but the cosmetic stuff for 24,000 miles) It had 63K miles on it, in good shape. I paid 14.5K in Virginia last September. Used Jetta's generally sell for $500 more than a similiar Golf. Even with the $352 plane ticket to fly out to it, I saved >$900 compared to west coast prices. It took me 7 weeks of searching to finally find 'the one', but the patience paid off well. I almost broke down and bought an '04 new, but they had a 3 month wait list at 22K! Availability of new at dealerships seems to have much improved lately though.

Kelly BB is pretty worthless for Tdi market, IMO... they don't seem to be aware that fuel economy/luxury/German engineering command a premium.

Kuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, Automatic
You can't buy a new TDI in California unless they changed the laws recently, if you are going to buy out of state, check the laws you may have a hard time getting it registered, I believe that a used car to register in Cal. needs to have around 7,800 miles on it when you buy it.
As I said check around I could be wrong.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
You don't say your location, but are you aware that California and west coast prices for Tdi's generally run quite inflated over midwest and east/coast prices? It's due to the impossibility of buying new Tdi's in CA--that adds a premium.
Hi nicklockhard, This is only partially true. Have you ever compared the difference in undercarriages of non-inclement weather domiciled vehicles to inclement weather domiciled vehicles? Trust me when I tell you it's definately worth the extra scratch in most cases.

Hi Arkitec, It's a sweet vehicle but, the seller is trying to capitalize on recouping the added expense of mods which generally doesn't work in most cases but, then again, if you're thinking about it, I might be wrong.

I currently have (3) Golf TDI's in stock and all are candy white. (1) TX domiciled, one owner 02 GL 5-speed, tan cloth, 45K miles, and listed on Autotrader (special club member price of $13,980. (1) 01 CA domiciled, one owner GLS Auto, dark charcoal interior, moonroof, premium OE alloys, monsoon, 76K miles. I installed the true 100K TB at 60K. $13,600, (1) 02 GLS 5-speed one owner, tan velour interior, OK City domiciled, no roof, with Avus alloys, 69K miles, no roof, and Avus alloys included. $13,880. None of the above vehicles have ever been in an accident and all have or will be personally gone through by me. The 01 Auto has had some minor rear bumper scuff repair work performed. All three of these vehicles blow away the one you are considering from a value for money aspect. Later!

Arkitec

TDI
05' Silver Golf
I sent you a personal eMail-- Do you have any links to pics/other details for these cars?

Thanks!!

Matt

Harvieux

TDI
Hi Matt, Your preferences: '03 or newer Golf manual reflex silver ext., grey int. leather(!?) heated seats.

Leather is not an option offered on any Golf TDI sold in North America. Just sold a stunningly prime 03 GL Indigo blue 5-speed with 28K miles and what I would consider, all the money. (Not Reflex Silver).

Since they don't manufacture used TDI's, your exact preference may take some time. All three of my offerings fall short of your exact parameters. I linked the 02 GL 5-speed below and the 01 Auto was just acquired and I am currently performing the full service and can snap some pictures right away upon your truly, interested request. The 02 GLS 5-speed has not arrived as of yet but, my buyer in Dallas has never, ever failed me yet and he claims this one is an absolute 100% winner. Let me know your thoughts. Later!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...n&cardist=0

Arkitec

TDI
05' Silver Golf
Harvieux:

Despite your political proclivities, I loved your dream of a future TDI shop you posted (somewhere). As an architect-- I could probably help you out with that. I think I'd like to do business with you. I'm not sure I can stomach the candy white though... I'm afraid it's GOT to be reflex silver. Given that leather isn't an option-- I can pro-ba-bly let that one go. 4 doors is pretty important though... heated seats would be great :) !

Let's stay in touch.

Matt

Harvieux

TDI
Hi Matt, Sorry for the political overtones but, the ruthless and sure sign of desparation shown by these left wing political hacks will ensure a "Condi for President" movement that will make Hillary concede her future intensions in short order. Mark my word!

On a lighter note, I suggest that you continue your search both on Autotrader and here on the tdiclub forum. All GLS Golfs are 4-doors. There are 4-door GL's for 03. 04 GL's are all 4-doors w/power windows (PW's). All 03,04, and 05's GL's have PW's and the 03 2-door GL's are the only 2-door Golf TDI's ever produced for North America that have PW's. Please make sure you perform complete due dilligence on any prospective specimen you come upon before committing and don't be afraid to inquire with me or this forum before you pull the trigger. Later!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Wa wa waaaaa waaaa wahaa. **In Charlie Brown's teacher's voice**

Please Harv, settle down

Back in your cage

gooooood boy!

Harvieux

TDI
Hi nicklockard, Aren't you supposed to be a Canadian citizen by now, or was that just a "Charlie Brown's teacher's moment"?
Later!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
***Droooool***

mmmmmmmmmm, HEATED LEATHER SEATS... mmmmmm ***droooool**

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I've found the following '02 Golf TDi in San Diego.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rd...cardist=294#top

Apparently the car is in really good shape, relatively low miles (25k), with leather seats. The seller is asking 18k for it.
The ad says the car was driven in San Diego. The dealership is in Arizona, probably Phoenix or Scottsdale. And as you've probably figured out, priced pretty high. Though somebody cared enough to install leather seats in his Golf; that has to be worth a premium.

Stay in touch with Harvieux, he will find the car you want.