P0401 - cracked DPF long term damage?

imart

TDI
2.0 TDI CR
i see the topic and want to share my experience
living in europe and have 2.0 tdi CR in skoda yeti, 2011. 110 PS i am thinking have cracked dpf..
little soot on exhaust pipe and error

P0401 00 [101] - Insufficient Flow
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

and details

Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 190807 km
Date: 2018.10.08
Time: 10:56:37

Engine speed: 2237.50 /min
Normed load value: 41.6 %
Vehicle speed: 51 km/h
Coolant temperature: 79 °C
Intake air temperature: 27 °C
Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.980 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Throttle valve adapter: specified value: 34.66 %
EGR Solen.val.: actual value: 15.83 %
Charge air pressure specified value: 1294 hPa
Charge Pressure Actuator: acknowledgment: 71.25 %
Air mass: specified value: 312.2 mg/stroke
Air mass: actual value (mg/stroke): 446.3 mg/stroke

i clear error with some diagnostic app like torque and go on..
once i had MIL on, but after cleaning code it disappears..
i think after 5 or some like that errors, mil shows up..
i delete it and driving on.. regens are regularly.. it is temporary solve, because i am going to replace or remove DPF from system..

so, nothing wrong can be done with this state? can drive 2 months more with this issue?

i have no money now for replacement dpf so i will remove and delete it from software..

it means that egr valve is okay? it can stay on engine and not replaced?
or should i replace both, EGR and DPF?

thanks.

zuulmusic

TDI
mkvi
I've had the light/code since around April 2017 at 90K miles. Now 18 months and 25K miles later, nothing has really changed. I wouldn't fret it, but like others said, monitor for new codes occasionally. Good luck.

i see the topic and want to share my experience
living in europe and have 2.0 tdi CR in skoda yeti, 2011. 110 PS i am thinking have cracked dpf..
little soot on exhaust pipe and error

P0401 00 [101] - Insufficient Flow
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

and details

Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 190807 km
Date: 2018.10.08
Time: 10:56:37

Engine speed: 2237.50 /min
Normed load value: 41.6 %
Vehicle speed: 51 km/h
Coolant temperature: 79 °C
Intake air temperature: 27 °C
Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.980 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Throttle valve adapter: specified value: 34.66 %
EGR Solen.val.: actual value: 15.83 %
Charge air pressure specified value: 1294 hPa
Charge Pressure Actuator: acknowledgment: 71.25 %
Air mass: specified value: 312.2 mg/stroke
Air mass: actual value (mg/stroke): 446.3 mg/stroke

i clear error with some diagnostic app like torque and go on..
once i had MIL on, but after cleaning code it disappears..
i think after 5 or some like that errors, mil shows up..
i delete it and driving on.. regens are regularly.. it is temporary solve, because i am going to replace or remove DPF from system..

so, nothing wrong can be done with this state? can drive 2 months more with this issue?

i have no money now for replacement dpf so i will remove and delete it from software..

it means that egr valve is okay? it can stay on engine and not replaced?
or should i replace both, EGR and DPF?

thanks.

apeniel09

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI m/T
I know this is an older thread but I'm having similar issues regarding the DPF and EGR for my 2012 Jetta TDI M/T and hoping for some help!

Be forewarned I am not a mechanic (female) and I know I need to take it to one but I was hoping to get some idea of what I'm up against before I do. I learned the hard way that this was the wrong choice of car for me well after regrettably purchasing it and I owe wildly more than I should so I'm unfortunately stuck with it, but really hoping it doesn't need a new engine!

Back in november '23 I was driving home from work when I noticed a hesitation when accelerating at times. It was almost hard to notice it, but enough to feel that something wasn't right so I turned the radio down to pay closer attention and I heard what I can only describe as a slapping/flapping noise coming from the front end. I was only a few minutes from home so instead of pulling over to check it out I decided to just wait until I got home. There was no difference when shifting gears but the noise was quieter with speed/higher gears and louder at lower speeds/gears, same. We have a long sloping driveway so when I pulled in I put it in neutral and coasted down but the noise was still there and louder. By the time I parked and popped the hood the was shaking so bad and so loud my husband could hear it from inside the house, I thought my engine was going to explode. I had a mechanic friend come listen and it almost wouldn't start but after very briefly listening he thinks it sounds like a rod knock. I tried to start it once more after that and it almost started but wouldn't. I haven't tried to jump it or do anything else with it so it's just been sitting there for the last 4 months because I don't want to face the fact that it might need a new engine but I'm trying to rule out other things first.

Some things to mention:
-118k miles
-Check engine light is on with:
P0401 -EGR 'A' flow insufficient detected
P2015 - Intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit range/performance bank 1
P2008 - Intake manifold runner control circuit/open bank 1
P2BA6 - NOx exceedence - SCR NOx catalyst performance
P240F - EGR Slow response
P2002 - particulate filter efficiency below threshold bank 1
-DPF filter light is also on
-New clutch kit installed in March '23

I don't think it's a rod knock only for the fact that the noise got quieter not louder with speed.
I don't think it's timing related because it didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road.
It sounds very sismilar to a failing DMF but I'm thinking it's not that because it was replaced recently. (I'm also not even sure if my car has a DMF or single).

I'm not sure what other information to include that might be helpful but I appreciate any feedback :)

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I know this is an older thread but I'm having similar issues regarding the DPF and EGR for my 2012 Jetta TDI M/T and hoping for some help!

Be forewarned I am not a mechanic (female) and I know I need to take it to one but I was hoping to get some idea of what I'm up against before I do. I learned the hard way that this was the wrong choice of car for me well after regrettably purchasing it and I owe wildly more than I should so I'm unfortunately stuck with it, but really hoping it doesn't need a new engine!

Back in november '23 I was driving home from work when I noticed a hesitation when accelerating at times. It was almost hard to notice it, but enough to feel that something wasn't right so I turned the radio down to pay closer attention and I heard what I can only describe as a slapping/flapping noise coming from the front end. I was only a few minutes from home so instead of pulling over to check it out I decided to just wait until I got home. There was no difference when shifting gears but the noise was quieter with speed/higher gears and louder at lower speeds/gears, same. We have a long sloping driveway so when I pulled in I put it in neutral and coasted down but the noise was still there and louder. By the time I parked and popped the hood the was shaking so bad and so loud my husband could hear it from inside the house, I thought my engine was going to explode. I had a mechanic friend come listen and it almost wouldn't start but after very briefly listening he thinks it sounds like a rod knock. I tried to start it once more after that and it almost started but wouldn't. I haven't tried to jump it or do anything else with it so it's just been sitting there for the last 4 months because I don't want to face the fact that it might need a new engine but I'm trying to rule out other things first.

Some things to mention:
-118k miles
-Check engine light is on with:
P0401 -EGR 'A' flow insufficient detected
P2015 - Intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit range/performance bank 1
P2008 - Intake manifold runner control circuit/open bank 1
P2BA6 - NOx exceedence - SCR NOx catalyst performance
P240F - EGR Slow response
P2002 - particulate filter efficiency below threshold bank 1
-DPF filter light is also on
-New clutch kit installed in March '23

I don't think it's a rod knock only for the fact that the noise got quieter not louder with speed.
I don't think it's timing related because it didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road.
It sounds very sismilar to a failing DMF but I'm thinking it's not that because it was replaced recently. (I'm also not even sure if my car has a DMF or single).

I'm not sure what other information to include that might be helpful but I appreciate any feedback :)
Are you sure they changed the DMF ?
Look on your bill, a clutch kit & DMF is like 600 & higher just for parts alone

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
First off, those are some decent faults to cause some issues. I would defs get those fixed. Considering you need a intake manifold and DPF/EGR pipe.
Second, sounds like a DMF. Very common on these. Check your bill for when you get your stuff done and see what was replaced. If you tried to start it and it wouldnt start, Judging by the climate and how long its been sitting, I wouldnt be surprised if there was water/ice in the intercooler blocking it or causing it not to start. If thats the case, you attempting to crank it over could infact bend a rod. I would check the lower intercooler hose on the passenger side, pull the hose off and see what comes out.