1998 Jeta tdi wont crank over no start

2nsane2005

TDI
2001 Jetta Tdi Blue Lagoon
Okay I've had no problem with my tdi until about an hour ago. I parked and turned off my car for about 10 minutes. When I tried to turned it over nothing happens. All the dash lights, radio, heater fans work but the engine wont even turn. No clicking sound nothing. The battery looks to be brand new and was told it was new when i bought it. The alternator is new also. Please if anyone can help that would be much appreciated!!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Need a test light or meter to measure voltage at the small wire on the starter and work from there. Voltage would indicate a bad starter, no voltage could be a fuse, bad column switch, bad clutch switch, bad park switch, broken wire ...

I assume it's in park or the clutch pedal is down.

2nsane2005

TDI
That's what I read my alarm must have been confused a little that day or something haha I'm a little paranoid now lol

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Do you have headlights when you do this? If not, this could indicate a bad ignition switch, that's my bet. Very intermittent but annoying problem.

sidvil

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 jetta tdi
you should turn on the radio of the car and when you start it see if the radio turns off temporarily. all lights and power inside turn off while the diesel is getting started. if it doesn't then the ignition switch is bad.

spen

TDI
golf 2 tdi
could be the earth link lead between the solenoid and starter body breaking down. Had this on mine when i first bought it. Sometimes it would work then sometimes it was like the battery had gone dead. Changed the battery for a fully charged one and still gave the symtoms of a flat battery. Then i changed the starter and once removed i saw the problem. Bin fine since.

2nsane2005

TDI
The problem is back but this time I haven't been able to start it by leaving it for a few hours. I will try checking out the earth link

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
See if there is power getting to the starter when you turn the key. If not first thing I would check is the clutch interlock relay. As I recall it will be one of the #53s on the top of the fuse block. If that checks out I'd look at the clutch switch, then the alarm module.

-J

2nsane2005

TDI
Problem fixed!! I replaced the starter and shes all good now! Thanks for the replies