Injector balance!!!! rough idle

rowndhouse

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
While car approaches a stop sign and I let off the gas, the injection quantity on cylinder #2 drops to zero....and then comes back up to normal specs within a few seconds. It make the engine sound like its going to quit. Vagcom had a fuel temp sensor fault which made it act weird. I change the sensor. Slight improvement. Any ideas.??? All other measuring blocks seem normal.

VWTECH3

TDI
2001 TDI jetta and another 2001 TDI Jetta
how many miles? when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Where in WI do you live? JasonTDI is in Madison (has a shop there), he's one of the gurus on the forums here.

rowndhouse

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
injection balance

188,000. new fuel filter. Timing seems normal. Thought perhaps it is the transmission not downshifting out of 3rd causing it to bog down at slower speeds..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Coasting in gear should inject no fuel though...

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
rowndhouse said:
188,000. new fuel filter. Timing seems normal. Thought perhaps it is the transmission not downshifting out of 3rd causing it to bog down at slower speeds..
It would help if adding more information to your public profile. You have Golf ... no year, auto or manual etc.

188,000 miles on OEM injectors.:(

Couple of immediate things you could do. Run some diesel purge though your system. I posted the how to for you above. You might want to look into several things too, one being clogged intake, vacuum leaks, return lines off the injectors themselves leaking or air in the injector lines [due to changing the fuel filtre recently]. Could be as simple as water in the fuel system and bad fuel from your last fillup.

BrianCT

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I just changed the injectors nozzles in my 2003 that has 175,000 miles on it. My idle was a bit lumpy before. So far all I did was do a warm up drive and test the zip. A bit faster with the Sprint 520 from Kerma via Bleached Bora. When I got back I adjusted the IQ. I see my timing is a bit retarded so I will advance that sometime this weekend. My idle seems to be smoother but a 15 minute drive is not much of a test. Power is much greater with the slightly larger than stock nozzles.

My car like almost all modern cars will cut off fuel when coasting in gear. No signs or sensations engine malfunction. When the idle speed gets too low the injection system starts up again.