Only idles, smokes, wont accelerate

15austin

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
My 2000 Jetta TDI, yesterday i drove it to the store, went inside came back out and it would start and idle, but when i went to take off it would smoke and would not gain rpm and sounded like it was gonna die. It idles like a champ tho. I tried to put it in 1st gear and idle drive it about 2mph but to much traffic and i looked like an idiot.
Set on the aide of the road for 5min, started up and ran great and back to normal. Drove it to work today and had no issues.
What could be my problem?

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Maybe the EGR valve is intermittently stuck open.
Franko6 is in Lockwood , MO if you need help.

cypher007

TDI
SEAT Toledo, Audi A3
used to get this on an old 2003 1.9tdi. was the turbo on its way out. eventually when it did go it was like driving a smoke generator. might be worth taking off the turbo output pipe and checking the blades and how much play there is in the spindle.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
ASV sticking and letting enough air to idle, however, not enough to drive?

Intermittent issues are difficult, hook up the Vag-com and see what it says.

15austin

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
It has not done it since. And i drive it daily. If it does it again ill pop the hood right then and there and check egr valve. Have to look up what asv is and if possible ill check it to

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
It has not done it since. And i drive it daily. If it does it again ill pop the hood right then and there and check egr valve. Have to look up what asv is and if possible ill check it to
Yes, do it, but if you solve the problem, share the solution, don't be selfish.

The smoke you are getting is black or white?

Check for oil in the intake.

15austin

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
White smoke. Just cleaned the intake 5000 miles ago. There is oil, but not an unuasual amount. It always has some oil in it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
As has already been said check your turbo, white smoke is usually not a good sign.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
ASV sticking and letting enough air to idle, however, not enough to drive?

Intermittent issues are difficult, hook up the Vag-com and see what it says.

I agree with Eddieleephd!

Same thing happened to my 2000 Jetta about 10 years ago under very similar circumstances..... white smoke and only idle!

Turned out to be the ASV was sticking almost closed.....