You know you're obsessed when....

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
mb11743 said:
...When all you can think about is getting a summer job and saving up for your first real VW. (Currently dreaming about that) lol
Careful… that might lead to a serious addiction. I'm on my second Golf. :D

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
You know you are obsessed when when you tailgate at 85 to look at a Jetta's engine type insignia.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Why leave a perfectly good hamburger "donator" on the road for others to get to it ?
Take it home and "process" the dear deer, just don't remember too fondly where it came from..., the front of the TDI!

I carry a good BUCK knife under the seat just for these occasions...
SORRY about the B4 though!
ICNTDRV said:

I managed to knock it about 200 ft further down the road from where I stopped. Funny thing is, when I came back in the morning with the trailer to pick up the car, someone had picked up the deer!

After going through it all though, I'm still not sure selling it was the right choice.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
You know you're obsessed when...
One afternoon in the driveway you decide to cover all the "bumpy" parts on the leading edges of the A-4 with clear tape/ plastic in an effort to figure out how to get the drag co-efficient down just a wee-bit more.

Me to wife: " I know it looks kind of strange, but honey, you'll get used to it in a few months.."
Went out this morning and the aforementioned 'mods' were undone and a a giant tape ball sat next to the car.
Sigh...

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
bikeprof said:
...Take it home and "process" the dear deer, ...
Depending on local laws, it might be illegal to do that. At least, in Arizona it was. That law is in place to stop people from poaching by ramming deer "accidentally". You wouldn't do that in your car, but a pickup with a heavy duty bumper is another story...

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
when you're excited about spring coming and nice weather and the reason is so you don't get frostbite opening the windows only to listen to your TDI purrrrrr and whistle:)

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
itsmejerry said:
You know you're obsessed when...
One afternoon in the driveway you decide to cover all the "bumpy" parts on the leading edges of the A-4 with clear tape/ plastic in an effort to figure out how to get the drag co-efficient down just a wee-bit more.

Me to wife: " I know it looks kind of strange, but honey, you'll get used to it in a few months.."
Went out this morning and the aforementioned 'mods' were undone and a a giant tape ball sat next to the car.
Sigh...
All that good effort & time rolled up in the ditch, ouch!

Get the metallic A/C tape next time, it wil look like your are making a car like "docs" in the movie, maybe this will let her leave it alone so she could possibly time travel...
(Doc's car, a DeLorean, remember?)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
NB_TDi said:
You know you're obsessed when you can remember your security code for the stereo off hand.
You know you're obsessed when you can remember the 5-digit SKC code for the Immobilizer your TDI engine's ECU. :D

lghf

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta GL
Dave_D said:
Only possible in states that place expiration stickers on front and rear, unlike Maryland where only the rear plates have them.
Or in NY with the stickers on the windshield.

lghf

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta GL
Tom Servo said:
Careful… that might lead to a serious addiction. I'm on my second Golf. :D
I agree, after close to 6 months of ownership of my first diesel I am already looking for a manual diesel for when the 01m goes and then do manual swap for the first diesel.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Powder Hound said:
Depending on local laws, it might be illegal to do that. At least, in Arizona it was. That law is in place to stop people from poaching by ramming deer "accidentally". You wouldn't do that in your car, but a pickup with a heavy duty bumper is another story...
Maine laws, if you kill it you can grill it. That's why you see plows on trucks year round in the county!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
As I was getting out of my car at the mall I saw what looked like a new Golf pass by and park some distance away. Although it had started to rain, I detoured over to the Golf. Sure enough, it was a brand new TDI. The owner was a young guy and a confirmed diesel nut so we stood there, getting wet, talking about how great our cars were.

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine.
I do this all the time. and my tdi doesn't have a muffler so it sounds beautiful!

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
...when you leave work two hours late because you're going for a 800 mile tank, and don't want rush hour traffic to mess it up.

... when you decide to take 50 mph country roads, even though you add 30 miles to your daily commute just so you can average 1800 rpm and not have a line of cars behind you.

....you go to the VW dealership on a Saturday morning and act like you are looking at a TDI, just so when a potential new owner walks up to a Jetta TDI you can brag about your 15 year old TDI's mileage and longevity, and then wonder when they stopped putting cassette players in the cars.

...when you've ever stood in a Walmart parking lot talking to another TDI owner TOTALLY oblivious that your pregnant wife is standing in the rain, with a cart of groceries next to your LOCKED TDI.

n1das

TDI
You know you're obsessed when you add another TDI to your fleet of TDIs.

8/5/2010....picked up a new 2010 JSW TDI 6M loaded with all the toys....my THIRD TDI! :cool:

Last edited:

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
You know you're obsessed when you search locally over a year for a TDI... only to find the perfect one... merely three day's after you smashed up your parent’s car leaving the family to use one car between three people.

Karma is beauty, my dad always wanted a TDI and it really eased his despise for my mistake :eek:

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
When you see another TDI on the road and you feel an instant bond; a brotherhood. (even if you have know idea who they are)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...when you've ever stood in a Walmart parking lot talking to another TDI owner TOTALLY oblivious that your pregnant wife is standing in the rain, with a cart of groceries next to your LOCKED TDI.
Are you still married after this or did she come to her senses?:eek:

Just wondering...

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
When you smash up your old one and

you wish every day you had it back or a new one.

It's going to be another two long years before I can get another one. Hopefully by then there will be some options for one that will have the MPG's that my old one did ( 42 around town, 50+ highway ).

My wife and both agree - seats in a Hyundai Elantra are just plain too short in the femur area for both of us - we both are sore after an hour of riding and in the TDI we used to go for hours and hours and not be sore at all.

n1das

TDI
You know you're obsessed when you add another TDI to your fleet of TDIs.

8/5/2010....picked up a new 2010 JSW TDI 6M loaded with all the toys....my THIRD TDI! :cool:
You know you're obsessed when you realize that today is the 10th anniversary of getting your first TDI and that you've been driving TDIs for TEN years!

Today (5/15/2012) is the 10th anniversary of me getting my first TDI, a 2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed (2nd VW, first TDI). Drove it of the dealer's lot on 5/15/2002.

2002 Golf TDI: "Only" 361k miles on it when I sold it in August 2010.
2005 Jetta Wagen TDI: 137k miles
2010 JSW TDI: 70k miles (and climing rapidly)
I am the only driver of my TDIs.

361k miles + 137k miles + 70k miles = 568k miles of TDI driving experience and saying NO to gasoline. :cool:

Last edited:

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Great posts! I really like the OP's #8, #15, and #20. Really applies!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When you find this thread and read through the first twenty pages before you come to your senses

vlad0401

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
8. When the light turns green you stomp the go pedal and leave everyone in your dust.. And when you get stopped at the next light and they all finally catch up, you rationalize it by thinking "Even though I did that... I STILL got better mileage than they did"

18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine.

These are my two favorite ones because i am a young person still. especially the 8.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
When every time you hear a nearby vehicle making "swish swish swish" or "tick tick tick" sounds your heart skips a beat as you wonder if the sound is coming from YOUR lifters or YOUR timing belt!