2nd remote key clicking sound

Raivo

TDI
Touran 1.9TDI '05
I got used VW Touran TDI (2005) from previous owner and he said there is something about second remote key not working properly. Both remotes looks identical to shape and wear level.

With the 1st remote key I can remotely lock or unlock the car and start the engine. With the 2nd remote I can only unlock the car manually with the physical key or start the engine. By pressing any of the 3 buttons a clicking sound is heard to the passenger side somewhere above glove box. About a second later another click is heard as if some relay is engaging and disengaging after pressing a button on remote.

Pressing the button and locking/ unlocking the car manually with the same key (tried different variations as per manuals found) didn't help. The method of putting 1st (working) key into ignition and 2nd key in drivers door (followed by step by step instructions) didn't help either. No changes, clicking is heard but lock mechanism does not engage.

My question is, what is that clicking noise as if the car is recognising the key but not enough to unlock the doors? Like if the unlock mechanism is faulty but then 1st remote key shouldn't work either? I am lost here.

By the way, doesn't look like there is alarm system installed (noob here, may be wrong) - no audible sounds, when locking the car and doesn't seem to react on touches to the car or doors (when locked, small led light is flashing on drivers side door).

Last edited: