Diesel Blows Up All the Way...

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
yeah, i was trying to reason out what actually happened to make the head blow off, but i really have no clue lol, fun to watch though! :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
About 14 seconds in the exhaust pipe can be seen move upward. At 17 there's a spray of coolant or fuel out from under the head (towards the turbo end), then at 20 it's over...

A guess? Cylinder pressures were higher than the yield strength of the head bolts...

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
I'm no engine builder or dyno guy but it seems like once you hear it go flat you would shut it down.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Looks likes to much boost,then it ran away.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Here's how you stop a runaway. Did cost a turbo, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w

Regarding the Cummins in the first post, it sure does look like the head blew off. Puzzling as i would figure the bolts/studs would still have a little left in the elastic/plastic region of the stress-strain curve and head would lift just enough to to vent pressure. Bolts must have been stretched RIGHT to the limit!!

Seen other engines fail where the block broke further down in brittle mode. But then a big chunk of block flies off with the head. This one looks different.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
The vid you posted is def a detroit, but the OP's video does NOT sound like a cummins to me.. it sounds like pure detroit.

Although you would know better than anybody on here