Broken Timing Belt

HouseDoc1

TDI
2003 Golf 5 speed
Question,

What are the chances of a timing belt with minimal signs of wear breaking into 2 pieces with no ribs missing?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
How old is the belt?
What brand belt?
Anything seized in belts path i.e. Water pump , roller , tentioner.?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Go look at the lightbulb in your kitchen and tell me when it is going to burn out.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
It's like driving without brakes and saying I haven't hit anything yet.

The thread title suggests you just experienced a TB failure and it broke into 2 pieces and no ribs were missing. If a TB failure actually happened then the head has to come off for a rebuild.

Some people think they got lucky after a TB failure by just replacing the TB and the engine starts and appears to run perfectly fine again. All seems OK until it drops a valve about 2k miles later and totally destroys the engine. The valves get weakened when the get hit and they get made shorter instead of bent. A smacked valve later breaks from the stem at the base of the stem where it was weakened. Bottom line is whenever there has been valve and piston contact, the head HAS to come off for a rebuild.

Good luck.

HouseDoc1

TDI
2003 Golf 5 speed
I know the head has to come off as it is an interference motor, the reason for my question was to help determine what failed with the limited information at this point, engine is not seized, all rollers turn, water pump turns, injection pump pulley turns, cam pulley locked up. I was told that its usually some ribs on the belt that break off rather than the belt snapping in half with no ribs broken off? belt was about 2 years old with 30k tops on it, head is Chinese and was suspect initially but now so is the belt, not sure of the make on the belt? The car ran better than ever prior to this failure primarily due to the new injection pump, I was ready to blame all on the head but now i'm leaning towards the belt but won't know until I pull the valve cover, and the total damage after pulling the head. Belly pan and all shields in place 370k on car, less than 50k on head.

Last edited:

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
Cam Pulley locked up? Sounds like piston and valve have had a meeting.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
The cam pulley is supposed to be locked up (to the cam)

A snap in half belt is usually a rothenbacher belt. They're like toys or certain harbor freight tools. It may look like a timing belt, but...

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you can't answer all the above questions, you need to do the belt asap!
True, but too funny. He is already there for a rebuilt head and timing system replacement.

But ya I get your drift. If you don't know the age/condition of any part of the timing system, you need to replace everything.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wow!

This "incident" has been hashed and rehashed in at least two other Threads in one form or another!

Look at Belome's two links ....

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Wow!

This "incident" has been hashed and rehashed in at least two other Threads in one form or another!

Look at Belome's two links ....
After looking at the responses from belome I say there's something more to it.

Tensioner came loose a few times and if it were me, I would consider a new engine with new timing job.

Sounds like the tensioner bolt hole is stripped too.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^^^ Good call!