Buying a 2011 TDI q7

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 SportWagon 6spd Manual TDI ( Gone to the great yard in the sky) 2000 Jetta 5spd TDI 264k Miles and counting 2015 Passat TDI SE DSG Stock for- now...
I'm looking at at a 2011 q7 TDI with 89k it's had the fuel pump injectors and knock sensor replaced at 50k. Its a great deal on this SUV. It's a one owner car. I'm curious as to the long term reliability with this engine. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but the thought of replacing 4 timing chains makes me a bit nervous especially having to remove the engine to do so. Does anyone have a higher millage Q7 TDI with over 150k? 200k? I'm hoping for a similar TDI experience with my Jetta 280k and counting!!

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I have no knowledge to offer on high mileage Audi TDIs but I can tell you they are very nice, very comfortable, upmarket cars.

I recently bet a large sum of money that an Audi TDI will be a good and reliable car.

Have you visited the Audi website Audizine? I just joined and don't know much yet but I think there are a few with some miles on them and lots of owners who have owned many Audis over recent years. They seem pretty brand loyal.

Did you read this thread Considering a 2010 Q7 TDI in this forum?

Last edited:

JettaTDISportwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 SportWagon 6spd Manual TDI ( Gone to the great yard in the sky) 2000 Jetta 5spd TDI 264k Miles and counting 2015 Passat TDI SE DSG Stock for- now...
Thanks! Ive looked into the Audi website. Everyone had lower mile Q7's Just wondering about the Timing chain guides and chain stretching. I know the revamped the 2010 model after having an oil bolt that came loose and destroyed the engine. I know the 13's on up only have 2 chains.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
Again, to be clear I am a new Audi owner and know nothing about their long term reliability but your mention of the four vs. two timing chains caused me to read a few posts.

Perhaps the fact that Audi/VW modified the later 3.0L TDI to two chains suggests it was done to correct a weakness or improve on an already good design.

Have you searched cars.com and autotrader.com? I found my Audi on cars.com. The website allows you to refine your search to a very narrow set of parameters but is not immediately intuitive. It requires a little searching to find all the correct buttons to press. I found it very helpful once I figured out how to use it for my wants.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
I posted the details after I bought it. It's a 2016 TDI w/Premium Plus package. MSRP was $54,xxx. I paid $47k for it as a used car with 2800 miles. It was in show room new condition and the colors I wanted - white with black interior.

The car was previously on a three month lease to the dealer as a service loaner which made it technically okay to sell during the stop sell.

I found it on a cars.com at the Audi dealer in St. Paul, MN. Had to fly to MSP and drive it home but it was a nice drive.

The Audi dealer in Bozeman, MT had two identical cars except for beige interior but their cars had a lot more miles. At the time there were several more but my search criteria was white only. The cars I was interested in quickly disappeared but there may be similar cars still for sale.