darkside mk4 intake manifold

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just wondering if anyone else has installed this on their Mk4, and how much of a noticeable improvement I'd see. I already have a Stage 4 tune, but I'm thinking of also upgrading to PD150 injectors at the same time, and would also upgrade my TIP pipe to the darkside kit (that I already have in my possession), along with a PD150 airbox and MAF.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ustom-aluminum-1-9-tdi-8v-inlet-manifold.html

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I cannot answer your question as for the improvement to expect, however, there is a noticeable amount of air flow capability in the manifold you are looking at.

The benefits other than that is the race pipe being built in.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I doubt that your current manifold is a bottleneck. You already have a PD130/150, yes?
If not, those are pretty easy to come by.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I doubt that your current manifold is a bottleneck. You already have a PD130/150, yes?
If not, those are pretty easy to come by.
Right now, the car has stock PD100 injectors, stock airbox, but the SMIC is the upgraded darkside kit, along with the VNT17. I'm looking at actually doing the injectors as well, and I can't get the darkside tip kit/PD150 airbox because the current intake manifold is in the way.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I just installed this manifold but wont be running for another month. I believe it will have a flow benefit but it could end up no having perfect distribution but I don't think it will be a very big deal.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Sure they did a bunch to help with charge distribution, but they did nothing about the second worst part of the manifold, the bottleneck where the ports bend from the boxed plenum.

Cut one open and be amazed at ports the size of an american quarter at the point directly above the bolt bosses.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Right now, the car has stock PD100 injectors, stock airbox, but the SMIC is the upgraded darkside kit, along with the VNT17. I'm looking at actually doing the injectors as well, and I can't get the darkside tip kit/PD150 airbox because the current intake manifold is in the way.
Ah, in that case you can use the pd150 mani and stay factory and maybe save $$.
It's a good flowing manifold and has the engine cover mounting stud, etc.
That being said, RyanP is a great fellow and I would not hesitate to buy his gear! (Shameless plug, I know!)

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Ah, in that case you can use the pd150 mani and stay factory and maybe save $$.
It's a good flowing manifold and has the engine cover mounting stud, etc.
That being said, RyanP is a great fellow and I would not hesitate to buy his gear! (Shameless plug, I know!)
Is RyanP affiliated with darkside? I thought of staying factory, but nah - factory gets boring after a while (although I'm still impressed with my CR with mostly factory parts, sans the turbo and tune).

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Ryanp and I believe his brother own/run Darkside Developments. So when you're talking about a Darkside product, you are essentially talking about Ryanp.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Is RyanP affiliated with darkside? I thought of staying factory, but nah - factory gets boring after a while (although I'm still impressed with my CR with mostly factory parts, sans the turbo and tune).
My thought is to spend your money on parts that will increase performance over your current setup.
If you will be keeping the VNT-17 your current manifold or the PD130/150 ones
won't be a bottleneck. Same with your current airbox, TIP and SMIC.
You'll need to upgrade that stuff if you go to a bigger turbo and injectors IMHO.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
My thought is to spend your money on parts that will increase performance over your current setup.
If you will be keeping the VNT-17 your current manifold or the PD130/150 ones
won't be a bottleneck. Same with your current airbox, TIP and SMIC.
You'll need to upgrade that stuff if you go to a bigger turbo and injectors IMHO.
I might upgrade the turbo in the future, but probably not for the time being. Had I known a year ago, I would've picked up a GTB turbo. Live and learn.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Get a VNT1756vk, and you won't need the tubular intake. I got one from RyanP, use Race 520's, Malone Stage 5 custom and it screams. Intake wouldn't make much of a difference, per Whitbread. I would probably need head porting, bigger cam, bigger turbo (all within the next few months) to make the intake worth while. Pushing 28psi.