www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old January 21st, 2017, 11:30   #16
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Paul,

Looks great!!! I like the gas tank holders....

Eric
Thanks! They have expired so I wouldn't dare even give them away to another parent lest their insurance company refuse to cover something if they were involved in a crash. Otherwise they are perfectly sturdy and should keep the gas cans in place, with a tie down strap thru the handles.

2001 VW Golf TDI 5MT 589,000 km w/ 1" lift spacers on VR6 front springs / OEM wagon towing rear springs / Valeo G60/VR6 SMF /
Mahle VNT15 turbo / Sprint 520's / RC3
TDIclub links: The NARFmobile "re-build" thread / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter
Facebook:
Santos Speed Shop & Day Care Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NarfBLAST

NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 20:05   #17
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Only three more sleeps!

I am beside myself with excitement and anticipation.

My wife's Grandmother, which would be my kids GREAT Grandmother (they call her Nana, but I call her Hazel because she is my Grandma-in-law and I met her before I married her grand-daughter, anywho) she helped me complete the final touch of the NarfMOBILE's ridiculous theme...

LeMON FUEL CAN COZIES!!!

The handles sticking out the top of the lemons are not just handles, they are also roll bars! A tribute to the roll cages that must be properly installed to go racing in the 24 Hours of LeMONS.

The detail is awesome close up because apparently Hazel and I share the same kind of obsessive compulsive disorder. I brought her the idea, the materials, and built the wire frame and "stem" for the leaves, and she went full tilt on the sewing. I should get her to look at the hole in my drivers seat bolster, anyway...

They also look great from further away:

You care barely make out in the first close-up photo the stroller on top of the two tires at the front of the roof rack. That combined with the "Santos Speed shop and Day Care" magnet door sign are my idea of a "theme" while also being "ridiculous".

Yes, I have considered the possibility that police and/or busy-bodies will pull me over and ask if there are live babies inside the roof mounted baby seats. I am fully prepared to laugh and re-assure them that these former baby carriers have been harmlessly re-purposed to carry gasoline and diesel fuel.

I am hoping to score bonus points for "arrests with good stories".

I just can't believe how perfect the "shadowed yellow" fleece fabric worked out. This is only the second time I have purchased fabric in my life, the first time was in the mid 90's when I purchased several yards of navy blue fun-fur to replace the headliner for my first car, an '86 Chevy Blazer. That also turned out amazing. I should learn to sew.

Yes, I tested my fleecy lemons at highway speeds and nothing moved, except for one corner that was only tucked, and not sewn, in to place. Nana did an amazing job. They should last 3000 miles (or 5 megameters) with no problem that a safety pin here or there can't fix.

Now I just need to finish packing!

Almost forgot, the Roadkill guys posted an update:
Preview Some of the Great Cars and Fools on the ‘Retreat From Moscow’ LeMons Rally

2001 VW Golf TDI 5MT 589,000 km w/ 1" lift spacers on VR6 front springs / OEM wagon towing rear springs / Valeo G60/VR6 SMF /
TDIclub links: The NARFmobile "re-build" thread / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter
Facebook:

Last edited by NarfBLAST; January 27th, 2017 at 20:30.
Old January 27th, 2017, 20:38   #18
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

subscribed. Good luck!!

What day will you guys go through Memphis?

Last edited by nicklockard; January 27th, 2017 at 20:43.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 21:55   #19
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

awesome, have a great time and bring back a lot of pics
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:37   #20
jayb79
Veteran Member

Old January 28th, 2017, 18:00   #21
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
subscribed. Good luck!!

What day will you guys go through Memphis?
I am guessing we will be trickling in to Mephis on Thursday night Feb 2nd.

edit: The only thing I know for sure is that I need to be in Moscow between 7am and 9am on Tuesday Jan 30

Facebook:

Last edited by NarfBLAST; January 28th, 2017 at 18:03.
Old February 7th, 2017, 19:14   #22
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Default What Happened on the Frist LeMONS Winter Rally Anyway?

Its over. I guess I'd better post an update. Lets make it a mock interview

Q: What happened?
A: They made us drive for 12 hours a day.

Q: How was it?
A: Awesome. We ate, slept, and drove.

Q: Did you meet the guys from Roadkill?
A: Nope. I saw them, but they always had a film crew entourage and there was no official meet and greet.

Q: How was The Tail of the Dragon?
A: Meh, not bad, I guess I can say I've driven it now. Might be more fun on a motorcycle. Definitely a thrill ride if you are into that sort of thing. It was kind of a bummer that Killboy takes winters off so I didn't get any photos of my car carving the corners.

Q: What was it like to drive the whole Rally alone?
A: It was at times relaxing but at other times it was exciting because I had to be the driver, the navigator, the radio operator and the social media coordinator. The CB radio really enhanced the whole experience. From meeting people in lemons around you, to coordinating convoys, to finding checkpoints, to just chatting; the CB radio was tonnes of fun and kept me connected to the vehicles and people around me.

Q: Social media coordinator?
A: We earned points by uploading checkpoints and other photos and videos to the Lemons Rally Facebook page. Between Facebook and navigating I spent at least two hours online each day trying to find routes and score points on top of the 12 hours of driving.

Q: Sounds brutal.
A: Brutally awesome.

Q: What was your favorite part?
A: The Waffle House challenge really did a number on me. We had to visit six different Waffle Houses and purchase two waffles at each one. We were told we would need the waffles for two separate challenges at the end of the day.

The best part of 56 cars with LeMONS Rally stickers on them visiting 6 out of 60 Waffle Houses in one day along one single stretch of highway was that we became celebrities. We would pull into a Waffle House and the staff would know who you were and what you wanted. That was really cool.

I figured that one of the challenges would have to be "throwing for distance" so I spent 30 minutes rigging up, testing, and uploading the video this incredible Anti-Gravity Waffle Device:

At one point late in the afternoon, when I had just one more Waffle House to Visit, with ten waffles spread across my dashboard, something strange happened: I started laughing. I laughed out loud by myself in the car until I started crying. Then I pulled myself together (I was doing 70 mph) and kept driving. I had to make to that last waffle house then to Memphis for 8pm.

Unfortunately I was 20 minutes late for the contest - missing it completely. Later I heard that the winning waffle "caught the air just perfectly and sailed the furthest" which is exactly what ALL of my waffles would have done because they were perfectly dried to a crisp on the outside, perfectly flat, and perfectly moist and dense on the inside. I was very annoyed at myself for failing to realize that I was supposed to park at the hotel and walk to the meeting place in downtown Memphis where the waffle throwing contest was taking place. It was rough day, I was hungry and confused driving around with a dozen giant waffles on my dashboard looking for a parking place in a very busy downtown. It was ridiculous.

My other favorite part was when I was deputized by a police investigator outside of a cemetery just after dark.

Also, we got to drive two laps in our own cars at Barber Motor Sports park. That was awesome. I'm still waiting for pictures or videos from that.

Q: How did you do on points anyway?
A: I came in 23rd and I am very happy with that. I hit every checkpoint - which was extremely important for those of us in cars which didn't get big points on initial inspection. It was a tight race for the "unexceptional" cars. The cars that scored high on initial inspection deserved all those extra points.

Q: Was there any media coverage?
A: Not really, just on Roadkill's website:

Day 0: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-rally-early-arrivals/

Day 1: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-retre...w-rally-day-1/

Day 2: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-winte...nts-standings/

Day 3: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-winte...of-the-dragon/

Day 4: http://www.roadkill.com/lemons-winte...etreat-moscow/

They only took one photo of my car, but it was a good one:

Facebook:

Old February 7th, 2017, 20:31   #23
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Paul, I followed your points via the Roadkill site.
Their coverage seemed a bit...narrow.
Glad you had fun!
Old February 10th, 2017, 19:21   #24
Kerplunk105

TDI(s): None yet :(

Great write up! We ran into you at one of the waffle houses in the Passat
Kerplunk105 is offline   Reply With Quote