Auto Polar FIS+ Advance (MBV in the MFD) OEM+

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
IIRC the MovitelOnline site asks for your passport number for VAT purposes. It doesn't apply to North America so you can just leave it blank or put in gibberish. I think the purchase experience through them has been very good for most, myself included, however, if you have problems or need technical support you should contact Auto-Polar directly (MovitelOnline will simply act as a middle-man).
^this

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Now that some of you are talking about intake temps, you guys have me thinking.
Once the car is at operating temp, my intake temp reads 29-45*C, even if outside temp is -25*C. Is this correct? Is it the EGR or intake heater that is keeping the intake air so warm?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Once the car is at operating temp, my intake temp reads 29-45*C, even if outside temp is -25*C. Is this correct? Is it the EGR or intake heater that is keeping the intake air so warm?
I would guess that the water to air intercooler (cooled/heated by antifreeze) is the heat source.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
The last few weeks the outside temps have been consistently below 32 F. My intake temp reading reads only a few degrees above the outside temps. I found this questionable as during the summer months my readings would vary from 20 to 50 degrees above the outside temps.

I did update to the latest firmware about the same time due a fix for the intake temp! Prior, the intake temp would not function if the outside temp was at or below 32F. Wondering if the software is actually calculating the correct intake temp OR as others have noted that perhaps with temps well below freezing then the engine/sensor does not fully warm to a level much greater than ambient temp. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get the previous "normal" spread of readings once the outside temps warm back up this spring/summer.

30 March, With more normal outside temps and the engine thoroughly warmed, I do see the previous temp intake spread.

Last edited:

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
Has anyone run the Polar with P3 cars gauge.

I have analog boost sensor plumbed into the race pipe so I would like to monitor boost via P3 and the rest EGT / Coolant Temp / Fuel Pressure and Temp via Polar.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Since I updated to the latest firmware, my intake temp is reading correctly. I started the car this morning after it was sitting for two days in -15c and the coolant temp, intake temp, and OAT all read a few degrees of each other, around -15c to -10c. After running on the highway for about 30 minutes and the front grill completely blocked and the air intake modded so it takes air from the engine bay, the intake temp was around +10c to +15c.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
decided to spring for the deal :)

read some caution in the polarfis documentation.

will a scangaugeII work with the polarfis installed and operating?

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
hmmm

Passat TDI 2013
I have 4.4 firmware installed and my intake temp is never close to ambient....more like 70-80 degrees F...I also have the front and lower grill covered. I am wondering if mine is operating correctly? any suggestions.

Since I updated to the latest firmware, my intake temp is reading correctly. I started the car this morning after it was sitting for two days in -15c and the coolant temp, intake temp, and OAT all read a few degrees of each other, around -15c to -10c. After running on the highway for about 30 minutes and the front grill completely blocked and the air intake modded so it takes air from the engine bay, the intake temp was around +10c to +15c.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

My best guess it will not. The Polar FIS use the diagnostics communication to read some parameters during Polar FIS screen visualization.

I can come over if you want to check it out just PM

Last edited:

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Interesting. I read somewhere that the MKVII (2015+) Golfs and Jettas do not have the same CAN gateway (or it's location) and the Polar unit won't work in these cars (at least not yet). I am not positive that this is true (because I can't remember where I read it). It is interesting that the 2015 Passats apparently have the same CAN gateway electronics as the 2014 and before, but with the EA288 engine while the new Golfs and Jettas have different electronics with the EA288 engine.

When the US Passats first came out, the Polar FIS+ did not support them either (CKRA engine). People complained on their forum and each new beta version added more goodies for the US Passat owners. Therefore, there is a very good chance that each new beta from now on will probably add new EA288 stuff. Their forum is not terribly active but their programmer(s?) does pay attention to it and address issues relatively quickly.

Have Fun!

Don
Maybe it has something to do with the extra electronics packages available on the Golf/Jetta (HID Xenons, etc)? The plug clicks right in (and I can install and remove the module in a matter of minutes anymore), and I get info on the infotainment panel. I just can't change anything on it.

I did post on their forum and got a reply back today. I sent them my ECU info from their module, fingers crossed they'll be able to get it up and running.

Last night I left it installed after the initial setup (until I get an update in software I figured I'd at least see what the parameters look like). When I went back out to the car a few hours later to head out, the stereo didn't work, I only had the standard MFD screen, and the coming home / leaving feature was stuck on a 30-sec timeout. Not sure what caused it exactly, but something in the software didn't sit right with the car. Removed the unit and all was well again.

I've got it installed again now, and I waited an extra long amount of time for the ploar unit and the telephone unit to come to an agreement... Maybe it was a fluke with not waiting long enough the last time. I'll be checking on it again later tonight.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

I have serious doubts that both will work correctly. CAN network communications is a broadcast protocol and not multi-access. Packets are not addressed like Ethernet packets. This means that having 2 devices trying to get information from the diagnostic bus at the same time is going to cause confusion (at best). Polar recommends changing your MFD display back to the stock screen before using VCDS to avoid this problem. I suspect that a scanguage might cause the same kinds of issues.

Has anyone run the Polar with P3 cars gauge.
I have analog boost sensor plumbed into the race pipe so I would like to monitor boost via P3 and the rest EGT / Coolant Temp / Fuel Pressure and Temp via Polar.
I strongly suspect that your arrangement will work. However, a call to P3Cars wouldn't hurt. I suspect that if you always keep the P3Cars unit set to display boost AND it is configured to use the analog boost sensor, it should have no reason to try to use the diagnostic bus. The only thing it should need (from the ODBII port) to display boost would be 12 volt power.
I also strongly suspect that the Polar FIS+ and the P3Cars gauge would NOT work correctly, if you tried to use the P3Cars gauge to read boost from the ODBII port (instead of the analog boost sensor) for the reason stated in my reply to meerschm above. This is the reason why I sold my P3Cars gauge when I bought the Polar unit (I never installed the analog boost sensor).

Have Fun!

Don

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Did a little look-see, and it is true the can bus is common for all nodes. but it is not convincing to me that the scangauge will not work with the polar fis.

the way the bus works, with the OBD connector, is that the sensor (scan gauge, or other too) sends a request message tailored to the desired reading, every node on the bus reads it, and a node that recognizes the request processes and sends the response. the scan gauge X gauge instructions give some hints into the process.http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/uploads/XGaugeCoding.pdf

if two nodes are asking for the same readings, at the same time, it could get confusing, with a node responding to one request and the other requester missing the response. I think this is why polar fis says to turn off when using a VCDS.

I suspect (and will check when mine comes in and I get the chance to hook mine up and check) that if different gauges are requested by the scangauge than are selected in the polarfis, things should work just fine. They probably work even if the same reading is requested in both, as long as the message rates are not too high.

it certainly has the chance in some cases to cause confusion, and were active commands are being sent, you would not want two sources fighting for control.

will post an update in a couple weeks when I get the chance to try.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did a little look-see, and it is true the can bus is common for all nodes. but it is not convincing to me that the scangauge will not work with the polar fis.

....snip...

...will post an update in a couple weeks when I get the chance to try.
We eagerly await the results. It is possible that the CAN gateway can sort out requests from the ODBII port from ones from the Infotainment bus, so it might work. One thing that I am reasonably sure of is that trying this will not cause any hardware problems. The worst that should happen would be weird readings or possibly a reset required for the Polar or the scangauge. Erroneous or unexpected data might confuse the software, but it will not harm the hardware.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Actual vs calculated

Can anyone explain to me the difference in the values on the Polar FIS+ that have the exclamation point? (!). On the manual it says

In some values, the parameter text starts with the ! Character, this means that this is a requested or calculated value. Is this actual data?

So in the case of the Soot gr. you have two options. One being with the ! symbol and one without. If you choose soot gr it is very low vs the !soot gr.

In the end I am seeing the regen's regardless which unit I have selected so that is the important thing.
I just want to be consistent in what I am selecting for the data with or without the exclamanation point. Thanks

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW includes two programs internal to the ECU to monitor need for a regen, one is measured soot, the other is calculated soot.

both are not direct measurements, but each rely upon a combinations of sensors and internal calculations. it is not unusual to see measured soot much lower than calculated.

and just to be safe, the ECU also calls for a regeneration after a certain mileage, as a double check on the other two methods.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Can anyone explain to me the difference in the values on the Polar FIS+ that have the exclamation point? (!). On the manual it says

In some values, the parameter text starts with the ! Character, this means that this is a requested or calculated value. Is this actual data?

So in the case of the Soot gr. you have two options. One being with the ! symbol and one without. If you choose soot gr it is very low vs the !soot gr.

In the end I am seeing the regen's regardless which unit I have selected so that is the important thing.
I just want to be consistent in what I am selecting for the data with or without the exclamanation point. Thanks

As I understand it, it is a calculated or derived value and not simply a bus/field measurement. For example, !BoostPSI is the boost value after compensating for atmospheric pressure and not the actual boost value being measured/reported on the bus.

The ! denotes that some logic or calculation is being performed either by the FIS+ unit or the on-board computer.

Probably not entirely accurate, though hope it helps with the general idea.

-Lee

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Quick Question:

anyone have Polarfis installed without steering wheel controls?

I interface via buttons on the washer stalk.

tarfin

TDI
None----yet
Couple questions I have if you don't mind. I looked on their web site and didn't see which years/models this is compatible with. Anyone know?

Also the US distributor's web site appears to be down. Who did the US folks buy from?

TIA

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I bought mine from movitelonline...they are mentioned in the very first post in this thread. Very easy bought with my credit card. Dont be concerned about driver license or passport information..i just entered a series of digits. Good customer service they answered any questions I had. Took about 5 days to receive it via Dhl express shipment.

Couple questions I have if you don't mind. I looked on their web site and didn't see which years/models this is compatible with. Anyone know?

Also the US distributor's web site appears to be down. Who did the US folks buy from?

TIA

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

TIA
Compatible car models? here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4727219&postcount=20

This thread show a recent group buy, I do not know if any are left:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4727219

I also bought mine from Movietel online in Spain. Service was great except for DHL shipping - they (somehow) decided to give my unit a tour of the US before delivering it to me. It went from Spain to Los Angeles, CA, then to San Francisco, CA, then to Cincinnati, OH, and then finally to Las Vegas, NV.

Have Fun!

Don

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Does this sound right? The Temp reading for the DPF inlet is lower than the outlet temp during normal driving. But at idle it's the opposite?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Does this sound right? The Temp reading for the DPF inlet is lower than the outlet temp during normal driving. But at idle it's the opposite?
Driving under load conditions it wouldn't surprise me if the exit of the DPF is a higher temp due to the urea injection. At idle I'd be surprised if it's doing much in the way of injection, though I could be wrong on that. Would make sense on the temp standpoint though.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I don't have urea injection.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I don't have urea injection.
Posting in the Passat section I had assumed.

In that case, it's probably to due with airflow. At idle I doubt the exhaust is pushing much total heat into the DPF, so the entry point would be a higher temp. With a load on the engine it's probably pushing more heat through with the exhaust gas... Best example I can think of is blowing on a fire. More air = more heat, up until you have a blowtorch at the end.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Driving under load conditions it wouldn't surprise me if the exit of the DPF is a higher temp due to the urea injection. At idle I'd be surprised if it's doing much in the way of injection, though I could be wrong on that. Would make sense on the temp standpoint though.
Urea is injected after the DPF, isn't it?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
feedback on an earlier post.

I installed my PF03. access using the turn signal stalk is via the end buttons. held the end down button for five seconds to toggle into main menu, which then lets me move between polar fis + and MFD displays (and also Radio display, which I guess will come in handy if ever break the radio display)

I also plugged back in my ScangaugeII, which seems to work fine, with the detail that a few readings are different between SG and the PF. example is coolant temp. I suspect slight difference in conversion from C to F. Volts seems to toggle around, but that is probably timing, since it varies all over the place while driving.

Will keep playing as I learn the new tools, but this is a pretty cool tool. :)