Turn on headlights with engine off?

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Hello All,
I'm trying to troubleshoot a loose connection on one headlight, '03 Jetta TDI. Head lamp flickers when you hit a bump..... I'm pretty sure I can find this by wiggling each connection independently but I'd like to do this with the engine off, given the cold weather, in the garage. Is there a way to turn on the headlights without the engine running? There must be a way to trip the relay? Thx, RT

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Is this a serious thread?

I was thinking it was April the first....

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Okay in the interest of full disclosure, this isn't my car, I drive it infrequently and I don't remember the idiosyncrasies.....

Wife arrives home and describes flickering light issue. I went down to have a look, switched on the headlights, no lights. Turned on ignition, no lights. Hmmmm, started car, okay lights come on. Went about verifying the headlight issue, yes it flickers when I rap on it. Turn car off, lights go off. Turn lights on again, no lights. Start car, no lights. Okay its cold I'm not messing with this now, back inside. I figured this was an idiosyncrasy with the car...

Return to car a day later, after posting this question, try to turn lights on. No lights. Start car, no lights! ***! Apparently I was present to the last cycle of the headlight relay? I appears I have two problems to work on now.....