Malone Tune

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
2010 Jetta TDI
6Speed Manual
CJAA

So I have been searching for a while now and reading somethings and I am thoroughly confused. Is there a tune out there that will let me get better MPGs and let me keep my DPF?

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
any of the malone tunes that keep the dpf will give you better mpgs if you stay out of it.

stage .5, 1 or 2 can be had and stay with the dpf . Your lucky you have the manual so you dont need to spend another 500 on a dsg tune .

Arch12

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux editition Black on Black
Buddy I have no affiliation with Malone but Im telling you it's the real deal and the best 600 bucks I've spent. I will be making a video tomorrow and I'll out the link up so you can see ! The torque increase and HP gain is awesome and I've maintained my fuel economy as long as I drive responsibly. The car puts you back I'm your seat when you floor it in second and third. Passing cars on the freeway is so much easier

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
I have a Malone tune and noticed the same. Good power bump but no change in fuel economy either way if I stay out of it.

I wouldn't purchase it on the basis of improving mpg. Just my 2cents.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Malone makes no claims of improved fuel economy with common rail tuning unless that tuning includes the "econo" feature that can only accompany a DPF delete exhaust on the CBEA and CJAA cars that use fuel to regen. With deletes / Econo tune, FE increase can be as much as 10%.

I love how much more fun to drive a Malone Tuned common rail car is too. But if emissions are retained, don't expect to improve much on the already very good fuel economy the stock car gets. Even though the newer cars convert fuel into torque more efficiently than previous generation cars, You should not loose sight of the fact that VW has continued to make the cars bigger and heavier. There are physics envolved here that will prevent the fuel economy possible with the earlier cars.

metzger

TDI
01 Jetta, 10 A3, 14 IS350F
Malone makes no claims of improved fuel economy with common rail tuning unless that tuning includes the "econo" feature that can only accompany a DPF delete exhaust on the CBEA and CJAA cars that use fuel to regen. With deletes / Econo tune, FE increase can be as much as 10%.

I love how much more fun to drive a Malone Tuned common rail car is too. But if emissions are retained, don't expect to improve much on the already very good fuel economy the stock car gets. Even though the newer cars convert fuel into torque more efficiently than previous generation cars, You should not loose sight of the fact that VW has continued to make the cars bigger and heavier. There are physics envolved here that will prevent the fuel economy possible with the earlier cars.
I need to get with you before too long on my A3. I was all ready to go on an ECU tune, then I learned about the DSG issue and DPF delete so I'm trying to justify the added cost to myself now. :p

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I need to get with you before too long on my A3. I was all ready to go on an ECU tune, then I learned about the DSG issue and DPF delete so I'm trying to justify the added cost to myself now. :p
Feel free to call or email to discuss. My contact info can be found by clicking the link in my sig.

what can i get away with without having to replace my clutch soon?
There are many, many CR stage 2 tuned cars running around with the stock clutches. Drive it hard enough and it stands to reason that the life will be shortened by some degree. The OE clutch holds tuning pretty well though. Your car is nothing like the older generation TDIs that can't take much more power without an upgrade.

Gibby

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Wagon
Quick question. When you get the tune do you also have to buy the flashzilla? Or does it come with the tune? Thanks in advance

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I went Malone Stage 2. No MPG gains with the tune only. I did a delete and then the MPG went up about 4-5 mpg...

chefalan86

TDI
2012 Jetta Premuim
I just did a stage 2 and am happy with it so far. I went to 413 auto repair in Mass. Mike was awesome! Pulled the ECU, did his thing and put it back in... I took a ride for lunch while waiting on the email from Mark Malone. Showed back up at the shop and Mike did his magic... total time about 2 hours. The ride there was long but the ride home was fun. Noticed huge difference in 4-6th gears...fun!
Next stop will be cold air intake
Anyone else do this and how much difference did intake make if any?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I just did a stage 2 and am happy with it so far. I went to 413 auto repair in Mass. Mike was awesome! Pulled the ECU, did his thing and put it back in... I took a ride for lunch while waiting on the email from Mark Malone. Showed back up at the shop and Mike did his magic... total time about 2 hours. The ride there was long but the ride home was fun. Noticed huge difference in 4-6th gears...fun!
Next stop will be cold air intake
Love the tune. Intake is a huge waste of money. Will make no difference at all other than drain your wallet.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Going to agree with skinnyb: cold air intakes are generally wastes of money. Companies like APR only test the intakes on the dyno, meaning that their intakes are more efficient with static air, but make no promise about power delivery with moving air. So, unless you intend to drive your car sitting still, I would at least look heavily into how a company has tested their intakes before buying one.

Caveat: they usually makes your car sound cool.