When TDi drivers go bad...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
He probably stole the TDI also. If the thief could afford a new TDI Golf, he probably wouldn't be looking for cars to steal stuff from. Maybe they will catch him when he tries to fill it up with gasoline.

Have Fun!

Don

BIGGREEK

TDI
MK4 ALH
its impossible to "hack" these cars. Someone probably left their keys or left a spare key inside the car. He may have had something to recognize a key signal, letting him know that the key is inside the car and transmitting.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Some "Device" is out and unlocks cars.... Was on the news here a few weeks ago. Police has no idea what it is.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
The article says:

The case is one of many across the nation in which thieves are using electronic devices to gain entry into vehicles.
So how can this be prevented?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The article says:

So how can this be prevented?
Any electronic (or computer) security can be hacked (defeated) by anyone who knows as much (or more) than the guy who designed the system.

How can it be prevented? Go back to using keys to unlock doors and start cars. It is the only solution that will not be too irritating to succeed. Nobody wants to need multiple strong passwords just to open your car door and any RF or Infrared communications can be hacked, cracked, or spoofed by anyone who really understands how the system works.

Have Fun!

Don

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Not surprising. I am familiar with similar type theft technique in unrelated equipment some years ago. Locks only keep out honest people. IMHO, good locks (or, sometimes the appearance of them) only pushes the crime/theft towards inferior locks.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Some "Device" is out and unlocks cars.... Was on the news here a few weeks ago. Police has no idea what it is.
Except that thief knew there was a $15,000 bike in the car, too? Seems fishy. It's MUCH more likely that the thief knows the person he stole from, bought a fob online, swapped the button part of the fob (so his buttons unlock the car but his key does not, the other side's key works but not the fob, so it seems like the battery died), and just unlocked the car.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
My neighbors here in Berkeley have been hit three times, someone is able to bypass their OEM electronic security (on a 2012 Audi), which I assume is similar if not better than I have on my '03 Golf.

Any system can be hacked, it's just a matter of motive and patience. And if a tool is developed, it will have value to thieves.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Kinda crappy to say but this is what renters/homeowners insurance is for. The bike owner will get all items replaced assuming he has it. Everyone should have it, especially if you own a stupid $15000 bike.

Disclaimer: The last statement is just my opinion.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
You are basically calling him an idiot for breaking into a $50,000 car and stealing a $15000 bike. He is a criminal but I doubt he is an idiot.

He probably stole the TDI also. If the thief could afford a new TDI Golf, he probably wouldn't be looking for cars to steal stuff from. Maybe they will catch him when he tries to fill it up with gasoline.

Have Fun!

Don