Timing Belt replacement tutorials?

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2013 Jetta sport wagon for 110,000 miles right now.

I’ve been doing my own service work for the past three years after having disappointing service from a Volkswagen dealer.

As I understand it I should be replacing the timing belt at around 130,000 miles.
I’ve been searching online trying to find a comprehensive a video showing how to do the timing belt on these MK 6 TDI’s. I have the CBEA/CJAA engine.

One video shows the engine outside the vehicle. A few videos show the timing belt cover already off. I would like to know if there are any videos out there I would show what needs to be removed first before you can remove the timing belt cover and do the actual work?

Do you folks have any links to the tools which are required to do the work?
I don’t know if all of the timing belt kits are similar? Or whether one particular brand is better than the rest?

I’m just trying to plan ahead for this project. I did look at some of the sticky threads but a lot of the links would not open up.

Thanks for any helpful information

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm not at all trying to be a smart-ass, but if you're hung up on the "how do I get to the point that the timing belt cover is off" (which are pretty simple, basic steps), are you sure you want to dive into doing a TB replacement?

If you understand the whole process, that'll inform what needs to happen to get to step 1 of the videos.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
you need the special tools to do it and they arent cheap. my advice is to use tmechanic locator on this forum and find someone close to you to do it.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I watched a couple videos. In one video he’s doing a demonstration with the engine out.

In another video someone removed the fuel filter housing, The washer fluid container, and the coolant overflow reservoir, amongst other things before they could get to the timing belt cover. Then a different video one guy removed the driver side front tire and inner wheel well cover.

I’m just asking if there is a recommended procedure of what needs to be removed before you can access the timing belt?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Here is Greengeekers CJAA CBEA Timing belt procedure pdf.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I used the write up on myturbodieselforum and the associated video.

I also went through the wheel well for access to one or two things. You don't need to remove the fuel filter canister but just tie it up and out of the way with wire or a bungee cord or similar. But it's worthwhile to move the coolant overflow out of the way for space.

Just dig in and see what works for you, everyone's hands are different sizes, much the same their comfort level.