New TDI Issues

ThatTDILife

TDI
2012 JSW 6MT in Plat. Grey Metalic
Just got a new (to me) 2012 JSW TDI. Had the car about a week now and have come across a couple of things that I am not too sure about

1. The car clanks like no other, I know it is a diesel but it is pretty worrisome since the oil life and what not was reset so it has me second guessing the health of the oil. So mt question is if these cars are supposed to clank a lot or is it something to check into more?

2. Getting an error to check my right headlight, but all lights are working fine.... Not sure what to make of it

3. The driver side vent closest to the door makes a weird noise, it is like something is broken inside the vent somewhere, if you close the vent it seems to go away but want to figure out what may be broken, only that vent makes the noise.

On a side note would they change the oil when they fix the emissions? Trying to hold off on an oil change

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Not sure about your "clanking", but these CR engines eat up DMFs even faster than ALH/AHU engines. A bad DMF will make a rattle that sounds like it is in the bottom end of the engine

If the oil was changed, the service interval in MFI should have been reset. It will tell miles until next oil change is due.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
In regards to #2, weird electrical issues are common to VW. However, my CPO car had this on the rear and then I realized the taillight assemblies were leaking (condensation on the inside) and I'm thinking the condensation and/or subsequent corrosion was shorting out the bulb. VW replaced both taillights because there was no external damage, just leaking seals.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Clear the DTC in the Central Electronics, see if the indicator goes out then.

You may have a bad DMF. That will make a lot of noise at idle. These engines are normally pretty smooth and quiet really. They are barely any louder than the VAG DI gas turbo engines.

ThatTDILife

TDI
2012 JSW 6MT in Plat. Grey Metalic
The issue is not crazy at idle, mosly under acceleration, but in second gear it will have a jerky slip every once in awhile, that might be the DMF and I will have to check it

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Were the codes deleted when the problem was rectified? No experience with this as I have always cleared the codes after fixing any lights. I would think the message/light indicator would go away but again...I have always cleared any codes. Sorry if wrong here.